Locating (pinging) another InReach

dla

WKR
I can locate a partner's InReach if he has locate enabled in his mapshare page. But, this only works if I have cell service, as it requires accessing a mapshare page. Is there a way to do this from my Inreach mini directly? It would be nice to be able to locate my partner in the field.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not that I'm aware of. To my knowledge your partner would need to send you a message. You could send him a message asking for a reply.

Keep in mind the inReach mini only checks for messages when sending a message, ten minutes after sending a message, and then once every hour. So if your partner is not doing manual message checks (and has the mini) it could be up to an hour before he receives your message and if you are not forcing checks manually it could be another hour until you get his reply.

OP
dla

dla

WKR
The InReach to InReach communication feature could use some work imo. If you've enabled locate, then you should be able to be located in the field.

OP
dla

dla

WKR
Not that I'm aware of. To my knowledge your partner would need to send you a message. You could send him a message asking for a reply.

Keep in mind the inReach mini only checks for messages when sending a message, ten minutes after sending a message, and then once every hour. So if your partner is not doing manual message checks (and has the mini) it could be up to an hour before he receives your message and if you are not forcing checks manually it could be another hour until you get his reply.
The nice thing about locate is that it doesn't require any action on the part of the InReach user. So if the person carrying the InReach is lying dead, they can be located. Or if some slime rodent steals your InReach, it will report the location as soon as it is turned on. Locate (pinging) is a powerful feature.

The locate feature needs to be available InReach to InReach.