Location, Quality of life, profession/trade or family? What single factor influences where you live?

What influences where you live?

• Total voters
Stuck in California, family and money are what's keeping me here. I couldn't make near what I do now in any state that I'd want to live in(ID/MT/WY). Some day I'll make it out but I don't see that being anytime soon.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I like the rural area of central Nebraska where I live. I moved here from Iowa to teach and coach 40 years ago retired last May and have stayed for the people as I know most everyone in the area hunting access for me in the area is great. Waterfowl hunting is good where I'm at. Wyoming is only 4 hours away and for upland bird hunting South Dakota is 3 hours.

Quality of life for me in my late 20’s. No wife, no kids, no attachments. Being out in the woods for so long sometimes that I get sick of it and need to go to a city.

Moved back to Montana for elk hunting. Given the cut in pay I bought what I could afford to take care of my stock. At that time no one would live at my elevation.

Last edited:

slick

WKR
That took a turn.

Hard to parse out one response. My career brought me to AK, but it also brought me all over the west. But, that’s directly related to personal freedoms (hunting opportunity) and quality of life.

Rich M

WKR
There’s one in every crowd. Guess you can make decisions based on that if its important to you.

Back to post.

Moved to FL cause i wanted to. Been happy. The hunting isnt nearly as good as other places and the fishing is going downhill due to increased pressure. From what ive seen, same has happened to where i came from and about everywhere else too.

I checked most of the boxes.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Live in FL since 2013, originally due to wife's family is here. We are fortunate to live on a canal with boat hanging 20 steps from my bedroom, so we definitely enjoy fishing and the coastal lifestyle here. 6 hr drive to hometown in GA to hunt or get country fix. I do daydream of living out west one day, especially later in life, but over the last couple of years FL has turned out politically (personal freedoms) to be a pretty great place to be.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Coparenting wasn't on the list.
I was in the military when I had my first daughter, and spent another 18 years from her berth in the military.

I didn't have much of a choice on where to live, but I know quite a few people who have co-parenting written into their divorce orders limiting where they can live.

Probably should have considered it.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Deep roots in west AL……much personal freedom and very blessed financially for a very high quality of life for us.
This.
Doubt I will ever leave my Beautiful, Ruby Red State of AL.
From the surf to the Appalachians, lots of hunting and fishing choices.
And relatively low cost of living.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For me it is all about climate and environment. Dry climate......less bugs......very little bitter cold........would prefer a lot less people and traffic.

bluumoon

WKR
In my profession it is often said you can pick 2 of 3. $, location, or job satisfaction.
I love where I live, pay is good, high job satisfaction, the sacrifice for us is not having family close.
If I want to live close to parents/inlaws I have to sacrifice 2/3.

manitou1

WKR
Before retiring my profession drove where we lived. Now that I am retired, QOL wins hands down.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That may very well be "that single factor that influences some folks where to live". It's right in the title. So it should be fair game in a discussion of such.

But you've got to be careful making decisions on where to live based solely on a single factor that could very possibly change either in the short term or long term. CO used to be a pretty conservative state for the most part. These days we're anything but that. You can't always choose your neighbors.......people come and go. It's hard to live your life on the run from crazies all the time.......especially since it's as if they're everywhere these days......LOL.

You can have it all, you just can't have it all at once. Unless your family is also in Alaska. I have extreme envy for those people. Those people have it GOOD. Endless job opportunity, babysitters, no wasted vacation and $$$ on traveling to visit family, and ample outdoor recreation opportunity. I spend almost two weeks vacation annually just to visit mine and my wife's family which live in different states. Not to mention the cost of flights. Looking like ~$5,000 to fly the family to my parent's for Christmas. Another ~$3,000 for my wife and kids to go to a wedding in a couple months. Between that and the increased cost of living, it's almost cheaper to live in the lower 48 and pay a guide to hunt sheep....

I hate that i'm contributing to the thread drift towards child abortions.. 6 weeks prego is less than 2 weeks after an expected period. I understand that womens cycles can vary significantly. Expecting a 12 YO that was raped to know she's prego AND get an abortion less than 2 weeks after her period was supposed to come is ridiculous unless the intention for her to not have a good chance to get a legal abortion in the first place.

Regardless of where anyone stands on right to life or constitutional powers awarded to states via our citizens, using the most extreme minute example to set precedent to undermine the vote of the people is pretty trifling at best. Fact someone is using a 10 year old pregnancy inability to get an abortion as a personal freedom is well about as minute as minute gets

To me it’s a fine line between monetary return and family priorities with education being first and monetary second. My retirement goals are second to kids education. Fortunately I live in a place that awards a great balance between both