Locking Bolt Back on Ruger 10/22

Duckmasta

FNG
I have a Ruger 10/22 and my best guess is it was built in the late sixties to early seventies. I want to be able to quickly run a bore-snake down the barrel without having to take the receiver away from the stock and cant do so because I am having a heck of a time finding out how to keep the bolt locked back. Any 10/22 guys have any ideas?

Marble

WKR
Should be able to pull the bolt back, push up(or in) the locking mechanism in front of the trigger guard and be good to go. If it doesnt lock, the whole thing may need to be dismantled and cleaned. They are a rather simple and very well made design.

OP
D

Duckmasta

FNG
Should be able to pull the bolt back, push up(or in) the locking mechanism in front of the trigger guard and be good to go. If it doesnt lock, the whole thing may need to be dismantled and cleaned. They are a rather simple and very well made design.
Thanks, I have read and seen this exact process however I have no mechanism in front of my trigger guard on my particular model.

OP
D

Duckmasta

FNG
Thanks, I have read and seen this exact process however I have no mechanism in front of my trigger guard on my particular model.
Sorry for the poor quality pic but this what I have. I can send a real picture later when I return home but I think you can quite clearly that there is no mechanism. Or am I missing something?

Attachments

• BECAFA5D-DE2B-4613-AF95-867CCA1D1CD1.png
    BECAFA5D-DE2B-4613-AF95-867CCA1D1CD1.png
    1 MB · Views: 58

bsnedeker

WKR
I wonder if a previous owner removed the bolt release lever? If that is a real 10/22 stock (not homemade) there should at least be a space in front of the trigger guard for that lever to go. If you see the gap but no lever just buy the parts and throw them in there...cheap and easy.

If there is no gap in front of the trigger guard you may need to buy a new stock if you want that functionality.

Also, here is a vote for the 10/22 takedown: Since you can pull it apart cleaning it is crazy simple (not that I ever clean mine!).

Marble

WKR
It looks like standard stock. Its entirely possible the earliest models didnt have the lock back feature.

I'd look a little closer just to make sure.

bsnedeker

WKR
It looks like standard stock. Its entirely possible the earliest models didnt have the lock back feature.

I'd look a little closer just to make sure.

I just checked, the first model in 1964 had the release. Here is a picture:

download.jpg

SWOHTR

WKR
Should have a groove for it. Picture of mine attached. I have aftermarket parts on (I think Volquartsen) but concept is the same. Not sure if this helps. Mine is a 2004 model I think.

Attachments

• 64DD947C-2A7E-4FCC-8068-3E6ED1ECA5FD.jpeg
    64DD947C-2A7E-4FCC-8068-3E6ED1ECA5FD.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
D

Duckmasta

FNG
Guys, thanks so much for your replies, upon further investigation I found the lever. I will post a picture later tonight. Its very inconspicuous but located as it is in the picture bsnedeker provided, just way further back into the trigger assembly.

10/22 are the old standby but that lock mechanism has always been their Achilles heel. It’s become second nature to me but upon teaching my wife to shoot I remembered how difficult they can be and why we always used to file them out a bit.

bsnedeker

WKR
10/22 are the old standby but that lock mechanism has always been their Achilles heel. It’s become second nature to me but upon teaching my wife to shoot I remembered how difficult they can be and why we always used to file them out a bit.

Either file them out or just buy the Volquartsen (sp?) parts as they are so cheap. The auto-bolt release functionality is worth it's weight in gold so you don't have to dink with that piece when you are trying to drop the bolt.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I've installed the Kidd version. It works as you'd want and it's like 11 bucks.