Logistics Caribou haul road

Haro450

FNG
Couple Questions for people that have done this. This is a 10 day trip up the haul road in a rental truck from go-north.

Will it be cold enough in early august to not have meat in a cooler?
Or should we plane on having coolers with ice?
Is there a place in fairbanks that can flash freeze meat for the flight home?
Do you flash freeze the hide and check it on the plane? Or take it to a taxidermist in fairbanks and have him tan it then ship it down?
Is there any reasonably price gear rental shops in fairbanks? The ones i have found it seems i would be better off just buying cheap gear at walmart. I am only talking for things like and ice chest or maybe a larger cook stove. We are going to try and get by with out a ice chest if possible.

mooster

WKR
AK Trophy Express has a reefer truck positioned in FAI for shipping meat and heads to lower 48. They consolidate and then at seasons end, they hit drop points throughout lower states. Think its about $650 for a bou. You would drop your meat in game bags, and head at the freezer truck at AK Fur Tannery for example where the truck was staged last year.

AK 4x4 Rentals also has haul road vehicles. Think they also offer a $9/day window insurance coverage to handle chips or replacement. I think I recall your at full risk for tire damage regardless of choice of AK4x4 or GoN, as the GoN add'l policy coverage is subject to a $750 deductible which is higher than cost of tire or window replacement. Uhaul has 2WD vans for rent that are allowed on the road too.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
Also where in fairbanks can you have you meat frozen for the flight home?

Santa's Smoke house, Fairbanks tannery any where else i should try?

mooster

WKR
Also where in fairbanks can you have you meat frozen for the flight home?

Santa's Smoke house, Fairbanks tannery any where else i should try?
Last year Santa's Smokehouse was only taking game for processing, no storage, and when I contacted them late last August, they were too full to take any animals for processing. So may pay to double check as you get closer to your hunt and have a plan B in mind.

Last edited:

No, plan for warm temps during the day, some years its hotter than hell... but, it could snow too..

I always bring a cooler or 2 full of ice and I do not open it until I need it for meat. Then, once the meat has dried off some in the wind, I submerge the quarters in the ice and do not open the ice chest until I get home.

No idea on the freezing of meat question, but I'd have a plan before you arrive.

JColony

FNG
It may not be the cheapest option, but Delta Meats processed my moose back in 2018 and shipped it AK Air Freight to Phoenix. It may be worth checking w/ local processors to see if they are able to do the same.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Call Al Barrett with Fairbanks Fur Tannery. He has a freezer and it's cheap to quick freeze or deep cool meat before home-bound transport. (907) 452-6047

For renting "camping gear" you might try Josh Horst with Horst Expediting. (907) 479-4376

Meat care in Aug along the Haul Rd: Bring some wood or 2x4s from town to construct a meat rack covered with tarp. Keep meat elevated under the tarp with air circulation and shade. The elevation needs to be 2-3 feet to deter squirrels and fox rades. Wind and shade will cool meat enough for 3-4 days post harvest.

If you have ice, great. But not necessary unless it gets freakishly warm in Aug. Nights are pretty chilly and windy, which really helps meat care concerns.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
Thanks for the help guys. This isn't my first out of state hunt but is my first hunt flying. The logistics are proving to be a little stressful. But in the end I think it will all be worth it.

Thanks for the help guys. This isn't my first out of state hunt but is my first hunt flying. The logistics are proving to be a little stressful. But in the end I think it will all be worth it.

Don't overcomplicate this hunt, like many do. Fly to Fairbanks, get a rental, food and a little gas storage....drive north and hunt. Plan your days around how much gas you have and be sure your are either in Deadhorse or Coldfoot by the time you get close to running out. Camp wherever you end up when you're tired.

Cell service in Coldfoot, Galbraith lake and Deadhorse. 5 hours to Coldfoot from Fairbanks, another 2 to Atigun Pass, another 3 to Deadhorse. Caribou from Atigun to Deadhorse. Stay mobile.

Make sure you have tags and your bowhunting certificate.

Nothing to it... let me know if you need any help.

BowMan86

FNG

No, plan for warm temps during the day, some years its hotter than hell... but, it could snow too..

I always bring a cooler or 2 full of ice and I do not open it until I need it for meat. Then, once the meat has dried off some in the wind, I submerge the quarters in the ice and do not open the ice chest until I get home.

No idea on the freezing of meat question, but I'd have a plan before you arrive.
I agree, I did this hunt in Sept and the first day was sunny and 60 and the next rainy and 30’s. You never know what weather you will get, but I would plan for warm weather in Aug and definitely bring the cooler with ice. Too late once you are already there.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
Thanks guys!!! Should be a great trip regardless of the out come.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
There is always something. I have been shooting my bow for weeks getting ready for this hunt. It had been shooting great. Slider sight all dialed in. Then last night I forgot to put a arrow in and dry fired the bow. Cams bent, string frayed, sight broke.!! 5 days before I leave! hopefully this isn't a omen for the rest of the trip. FYI if you have any cams for a PSE DNA I would be interested.

22lr

WKR
That blows! I've been getting everything dialed in as well, sucks to have gear break in the final hour.

There is always something. I have been shooting my bow for weeks getting ready for this hunt. It had been shooting great. Slider sight all dialed in. Then last night I forgot to put a arrow in and dry fired the bow. Cams bent, string frayed, sight broke.!! 5 days before I leave! hopefully this isn't a omen for the rest of the trip. FYI if you have any cams for a PSE DNA I would be interested.
Good luck. Sounds like off to the store for a new bow! Keep us posted on the trip as you can.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
Well I ended up with a new Bowtech Solution SD. I have 4.5 days to get comfortable with it. I had been shooting the other bow every day so hopefully it will work out good.

smith3442

FNG
Just saw this thread. I leave in 7 days so I'm sure we will pass each other. We have a truck and camper from go north and a uhaul van!! Good luck on the bow repair. I would be stressed.

mooster

WKR
Well I ended up with a new Bowtech Solution SD. I have 4.5 days to get comfortable with it. I had been shooting the other bow every day so hopefully it will work out good.
Last year, just days before I left, I had a arrow nock break as I shot. It resulted in essentially a dry fire situ. I lost cams, string, & cable. My shop was kind enough to steal parts off another bow, and get me back in business over the next two days. I understand your freak out.

hobbes

WKR
The new bow was a good idea. Replacing parts on a dry fired bow and hoping the unreplaced parts aren't a ticking time bomb while in Alaska sounds like a bad idea. If you've shot a lot, there should be minimal adjustment to the new bow. Looking forward to the reports after the hunts. I've got to make Alaska happen soon.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
We did a go north rental also. I will defiantly do some sort of write up when we are back.

Rebuilding the bow wasn't really a option. I don't think i could have gotten the parts in time to be comfortable taking it. Plus i am not a big fan of the local PSE dealer which is one of the main reasons i went with Bowtech. The local Bowtech guy is awesome to deal with.
I will rebuild the broken bow and have it as a spare moving forward. Maybe donate to my nephew.