Logistics Caribou haul road

Nothing easy about that hunt! Awesome though, just not for the faint of heart. We killed 4 bulls, but we had to work hard for all of them. No caribou near camp, just small groups on the horizon most days. Thanks everyone for all of the tips, what a wild adventure!

Attachments

• DSC09701.jpg
    DSC09701.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC09630.jpg
    DSC09630.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 137

Lrs183

FNG
Nothing easy about that hunt! Awesome though, just not for the faint of heart. We killed 4 bulls, but we had to work hard for all of them. No caribou near camp, just small groups on the horizon most days. Thanks everyone for all of the tips, what a wild adventure!
Awesome! I see the raft. Did you get flown in to a camp or did you camp near the sag and float across it?

22lr

WKR
Any luck 22?
Sorry, missed the comment. I didn't have any luck. Saw 4 huntable bulls, got within 100 yards of 1 but I wasn't aware he was with a smaller guy and my well laid stalk was ruined by the little dude poking his head up over the ridge as I was creeping along.

Saw a nice bachelor herd of 14 bulls right outside of Deadhorse but they were clearly staying put and not moving.

Saw tons of Musk Ox, and my bear deterrent "aka a tag" worked flawlessly once again. Super cool trip!

ramhunter

FNG
I went for a drive last night after work down the haul road from Deadhorse, down past Franklin Bluffs, was very surprised to see a 100 plus caribou in different small groups along the road this late in the year! One group of maybe 12 head had two nice bulls with them. Saw one hunting camp with a AO tent and wood stove.

We did a go north rental also. I will defiantly do some sort of write up when we are back.

Rebuilding the bow wasn't really a option. I don't think i could have gotten the parts in time to be comfortable taking it. Plus i am not a big fan of the local PSE dealer which is one of the main reasons i went with Bowtech. The local Bowtech guy is awesome to deal with.
I will rebuild the broken bow and have it as a spare moving forward. Maybe donate to my nephew.
I have a rental booked with GoNorth for next year 2022. How was the experience? Any feedback or learnings to share?

Back in Fairbanks. We went 2 out of 4. Should have been 3. I don’t know a good year from a bad but we didn’t seem to have a problem finding animals. Seemed like you hike out over one ridge and there are small groups every where. Both bulls where killed a mile to a mile and a half of the road.
I shoulder shot a bull early in the trip and followed it for 12 hours before I lost it. Multiple stalks per day.

I will admitted we interrupted people stalks. But once we saw them we backed out. It was never our intention. I’ll post some more later.
How close where the shot opportunities you guys got?

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
I have a rental booked with GoNorth for next year 2022. How was the experience? Any feedback or learnings to share?
Shot opportunities ranged from 15 yard to 70. Its fairly easy to get to 100 yards.

Be mind full of the wind and your movement. I had animals walk within 15 yards and didnt mind tell i went to draw.
Gauging distance on the tundra is hard. So if you can have some one range while you shoot would be ideal. I know when i had animals in close i was unable to range and shoot with out spooking them.

If you can see one animal from the road there is most likely more that you cant see.

Go north was relatively strait forward. One thing we didnt key into was the truck has to be returned clean. No matter how hard you try the truck will be cover in the stuff they put on the roads so plan for that on your way back, Dont plan on the butcher shops having room for you meat. We got lucky. I would plan on shipping it through alaska air cargo or checking it as a carry on.

Shot opportunities ranged from 15 yard to 70. Its fairly easy to get to 100 yards.

Be mind full of the wind and your movement. I had animals walk within 15 yards and didnt mind tell i went to draw.
Gauging distance on the tundra is hard. So if you can have some one range while you shoot would be ideal. I know when i had animals in close i was unable to range and shoot with out spooking them.

If you can see one animal from the road there is most likely more that you cant see.

Go north was relatively strait forward. One thing we didnt key into was the truck has to be returned clean. No matter how hard you try the truck will be cover in the stuff they put on the roads so plan for that on your way back, Dont plan on the butcher shops having room for you meat. We got lucky. I would plan on shipping it through alaska air cargo or checking it as a carry on.
Very helpful. Thanks for the info.