LOLO forest bear / camp sites

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you camped in LOLO or know of any locations of camp sites that would position us not far from the forest? We are not 100% sure where at in the forest we will be hunting yet. Headed out May 6-13 . We won’t have any pack animals and not sure if we can pack everything in we need to camp for 4-5 days and pack a bear out if we kill. So looks like a campground is the next choice.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I've hunted the lolo, big burn there last year so might want to check areas. Depending on where you are hunting, I might have some info. PM me.

Lots of camp grounds in the National Forest. I would call the district office and see which ones will be open or accessible that time of year. They will point you in the right direction.

We’re flying into Missoula.. looking at hunting SW of Superior.. based off of my knowledge of just reading and talking to other hunters. Open to anything that would raise success odds.

Not sure how many backcountry camp areas will be open by then, but Sloway and Quartz Flat campgrounds are both right on the interstate near Superior. Snow definitely won't be an issue there, and you run into town for warm food, gas, etc.

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Not familiar with that area, but have heard to watch for g bears there.
Would you recommend any other areas within 1 hour of Missoula? I used to live in Helena. Now back in Alabama. So not familiar with those areas, just going due to the units hosting the higher density of black bears.. from what I researched

I might be able to give ya some useful advice wildatheart. but I cant send a PM yet. Maybe you could send me a PM with your email address and we can chat?