Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks - Is it me or...?

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
So I have both LW sticks and Hawk Helium sticks. I started out this season using my LW sticks because:

a. The Heliums had not arrived (gotta love covid)
b. I wanted max distance up the tree
c. Thought the one "step" system would be optimal.

After using them for about 4 weeks now, I am scratching my head and wondering why anyone owns them at all. Why?:
1. They are dreadful to carry in. Long, bulky make a lot of noise even if padded just unloading and taking them down.
2. The single step system seems sub optimal given you can't stand both feet at the same level at any time.
3. The long nature of the sticks makes them sometimes top/bottom load given a growth or change in the tree along the run - which is a bit dangerous.

After looking into aiders and other augmentations, I am beginning to wonder why anyone carries such long sticks in? Am I missing something?

About to sell mine an buy a cheap pair of API's to mod along with my Hawks.

Had the same ones and haw helium’s and sold the lone wolfs. I use the hawks. I hated the inability for both beet to be level. Kinda awkward standing on one foot trying to attach another stick to the tree headed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I love the lone wolfs too, I taped up the stick and use the rope mods, the buckles are loud regardless. I just put the double steps on mine. I’ve tried a couple others and these are my favorite by far. Only metal contact mine have is the versa button screw where it pops into the other stick. I added a stick and put the double steps on the top to try out this yearA31F3264-5262-4C86-867B-201F0E3E9466.jpeg75678548-43AD-40FF-AFA6-218497598C23.jpeg

Conroy

WKR
I always liked the LW sticks myself. There is a local Hunter here in Wisconsin, Dan Infalt, who made his on sticks. His are similar to LW’s, but have a double step top and bottom of the stick. There are some other differences from the LW sticks, but if you use them, you’ll really like the Beast Sticks. I have a prototype set, so I attached a stock photo off the internet.

FAABF71F-21CE-4974-8479-E8FE33EE227E.jpeg

WCB

WKR
I like them because they fold inline and don't have the double step. I have no problem standing on one step to hang the next or hang the stand. Length is zero issue. I've hung them hundreds of times and have never not got the secure and to the height I want (4 sticks). If you stow them right I have zero issues with noise. I've set up many times and seen deer bedded once set up within 50-100yard of my stand. Infact this year in ND had 9 different bucks all bedded within 100 yards of my tree and had zero (yes strange for ND) wind to cover noise and use no tape or padding on my steps or stand.

But, I guess that is why their is more than one design give people options.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm interested in why you don't like at least one double step to hang a stand.
No argument from me because LW feels the same and I'm probably the exception.

Packs up easier, less weight, and I’ve never missed the extra step. I prefer screw in steps over sticks, but they aren’t legal in most places.

Reading this after having just made the decision to switch away from a climber and buy sticks really has me second-guessing getting the LW sticks. For the price difference I am surprised more people don't rave about them

There are a ton of options out there.. I'm happy with the 20" heliums and definitely appreciate the double steps. The shikars look really nice if someone wanted to spend a bunch to get exactly what they wanted.

Gobbler

FNG
Highly recommend the Beast sticks. Solid build, light, quiet, no moving parts, the right length, they check all the boxes.

I've been in the market for some sticks, as I've just recently gotten into saddle hunting. I'm a pretty lengthy guy, but I can't justify buying sticks that only have 15" between steps (Lone Wolf) or even 18" (like Hawk minis and Muddy Pros). I'm also on a tight budget, so that throws the Beast sticks and Shikars out the window. Really debating on just buying some used 30" Hawks and cutting them down to 24" between steps like I saw in a video to get the most step distance for my buck.

i use lw steps and don’t have a problem with single step feature BUT, what I am surprised no one has mentioned is that they are a death trap with muddy boots and/or wet weather. You can eliminate this with a little grip tape each year.
If lw would concoct a raised end on their step like the Muddy brand steps they would be much safer! I have gone with muddy brand on the last few sets for this reason.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
i use lw steps and don’t have a problem with single step feature BUT, what I am surprised no one has mentioned is that they are a death trap with muddy boots and/or wet weather. You can eliminate this with a little grip tape each year.
If lw would concoct a raised end on their step like the Muddy brand steps they would be much safer! I have gone with muddy brand on the last few sets for this reason.
I agree... They are a death trap period. I find it is way too easy to flip one of the steps up on the way up and then on the way down you step down into nothingness. Fortunately for me, I have noticed it when it has happened, but can't imagine the badness that might ensue coming down with one flipped up in the dark.

Thanks for posting the pics @Don Qui Puncher I did not know LW offered the double step option. FWIW I really like my LW climbing sticks.
LW doesn't offer the double step. It's a company called Eastern Woods Outdoors that sells the double steps. His website is doublesteps.com. He has a TON of different options for your entire setup. Great company.