Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks - Is it me or...?

*zap*

WKR
Big. game stagger steps., very safe but heavier....two feet on top step is no problem. The design is very aider friendly.

mrgreen

WKR
I know the Tethrd Sticks are very expensive, but does anyone have an idea why they’re delayed. I wonder if that cleat tie-in system could be a problem in bad weather.

ethan

WKR
Check out the Timber Ninja sticks. They are carbon fiber and are so light it's pretty ridiculous. They bite very solidly on a tree, including smooth bark trees. They're not the cheapest option, but carbon fiber anything isn't cheap regardless. I'd gladly sell my LW sticks after using the TN's this season.

HamAdams

FNG
Just got a set of LW sticks, and they seem fine. Had to spend some time silencing them because dear lord are they loud out of the box, but I'd imagine most sticks are like that. COVID threw a wrench in my hunting plans, so I haven't gotten a chance to pack them in any significant distance yet. I'm curious how other people pack theirs in --- I bought the alphatech stick quiver and broke it after my second sit so I guess I'm looking for a different solution.

So I have both LW sticks and Hawk Helium sticks. I started out this season using my LW sticks because:

a. The Heliums had not arrived (gotta love covid)
b. I wanted max distance up the tree
c. Thought the one "step" system would be optimal.

After using them for about 4 weeks now, I am scratching my head and wondering why anyone owns them at all. Why?:
1. They are dreadful to carry in. Long, bulky make a lot of noise even if padded just unloading and taking them down.
2. The single step system seems sub optimal given you can't stand both feet at the same level at any time.
3. The long nature of the sticks makes them sometimes top/bottom load given a growth or change in the tree along the run - which is a bit dangerous.

After looking into aiders and other augmentations, I am beginning to wonder why anyone carries such long sticks in? Am I missing something?

About to sell mine an buy a cheap pair of API's to mod along with my Hawks.
It's not just you. I bought a set of 3 years ago thinking they were the ultimate stick (or so the LW fanbase would have you believe) only to ask the same questions as you after a few trips in. I sold them for what I paid for them (again, thanks to the LW fanbase...).

There are better, safer, quieter and more compact options IMO.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had an issue but i guess i got so used to screw in steps that I never even notice the single step. I feel way more secure than the walmart stands i would hang with the screw ins.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
I have both LW, and helium minis. The helium’s nest very well and are more packable. However they just feel Chinese, and I tend to lean more towards the LWs for quality and feel.

Rich M

WKR
Sticks aren't for everyone. I don't like em - I'm big and heavy, have had sticks shift at the worst possible times and therefore don't like em.

I also don't like my lone wolf climber - the seat is made for little people. It is quiet tho. I'm ready to cut a piece of plywood to put in the sling seat so it doesn't squeeze so much.

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
I would think double steps would be much more unsafe than single if you’re standing with both feet on the top step trying to hang a stand. Staggering your feet meaning one step apart will give you a much greater ability to stay put and correct yourself if you do fall. I run my sticks to the side of my stand not directly underneath. Having one foot on the bottom step and one on the middle step I will hang my stand right above my top step and then use the top step to enter the stand on my dominant side (right side)

I cant understand how anyone could say the lone wolf sticks are loud? What are you guys doing beating them on the side of the tree the whole way up? lol

I love mine but I'm not a fatass and use an ropeman ascender and have never had a problem with them only having one step on top.....so maybe thats the difference.

I use 4 of them and can get to a platform height of 20' pretty easily. All of mine have rope modifications as well.

All things aside, I normally just use my assault hand climber 95% of the time and I am up the tree and have my bow in my hand in less than 5 minutes. Why people bother with sticks when there are straight trees to climb 15 feet away never made sense to me but to each their own.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
I cant understand how anyone could say the lone wolf sticks are loud? What are you guys doing beating them on the side of the tree the whole way up? lol

I love mine but I'm not a fatass and use an ropeman ascender and have never had a problem with them only having one step on top.....so maybe thats the difference.

I use 4 of them and can get to a platform height of 20' pretty easily. All of mine have rope modifications as well.

All things aside, I normally just use my assault hand climber 95% of the time and I am up the tree and have my bow in my hand in less than 5 minutes. Why people bother with sticks when there are straight trees to climb 15 feet away never made sense to me but to each their own.

I love my LW flip top climber. However I got made by a doe this year leading big papa right down the pipe because I had to set up in one of the only few straight trees in the choke. If I had a more versatile set up with me I could have set up in more of a stealth spot. Frankly different strokes for different situations, and what works for your style and location might not for someone else’s.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Check out the Timber Ninja sticks. They are carbon fiber and are so light it's pretty ridiculous. They bite very solidly on a tree, including smooth bark trees. They're not the cheapest option, but carbon fiber anything isn't cheap regardless. I'd gladly sell my LW sticks after using the TN's this season.
Asking those prices you'd think he would at least have them TMA certified. I don't care if he had an independent lab test the strength of the carbon fiber. He's skipping around getting real certification done. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I have hung and hunted with 4 or 5 lone wolf sticks and a lone wolf assault stand possibly over 300 times. I can get up the tree in the pitch black with no light and not make a sound.

I have never seen anything you listed as a problem. I'm not saying your wrong about any of it, just a different perspective.

Take your time and don't over think it. They are a great tool.

Edit. My sticks have been completely disassembled, wrapped in camo hockey tape, and re assembled with loctite. Wrapping the sticks should help with any unwanted noise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
Last nights project was working on getting mine a little quieter. Disassembled, stealth tape them, cut out the bolt holes, and reassembled. They now nest a lot tighter, and a lot quieter.
When I bought the stealth tape from Tethrd it never said how many linear feet was in a roll. I had three rolls. It was enough to do two sticks, and my platform post. Four linear feet in each roll.
Needless to say I placed an order last night. I also have some Amsteel Daisy chains coming for them too. That will get four more pieces of metal out of the equation.

image.jpg