Lone Wolf Hard Way Caper/Skinner?

Just curious if anyone has used these knives. They are super lightweight and seem a bit more durable than the Havalon option. Here are the specs:

Specifications: 40033 Skinner 40034 Caper Combo
Blade length 2.52" 2.59" --
Blade steel N680 N680 N680
Overall length 6.79" 6.67" --
Weight 3.8oz 3.0oz 5.8oz

They list for $120, but I found them for $57 online at Newegg, for the set and the case. They were recently reviewed very well in Western Hunter Magazine.

Attachments

• 40033-40034.jpg
    40033-40034.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
IMO, you cant judge Havalon on lightweight only. The fact that you can have a sharp blade in seconds vs sharpening is what sold me. I hate sharpening and using dull knives. The harder the steel the better the blade, but the harder the steel the tougher they are to sharpen.

jherald

WKR
I have the lonewolf set since last year and its worked out fine so far. I paired it with (dont laugh now) a hunter honer sharpener. The sharpener serves its purpose in keeping a sharp knife sharp and is ultra light.

I like the idea of the havalons but dont like the idea of changing the blades out with bloody and greasy hands while skinning and butcherin or using pliers to change the blades. My lonewolf set and sharpener are light enough and i can torque on the blades when i'm into butchering part of an animal. For me there i dont need the extra chance of cutting myself with a razor trying to change the blades when the set i already have will do my skinning and butchering just fine, even down to "clean skinning" for caping or turning the ears, gums and nose on an animal.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
I used this combo for the first time this last fall and absolutely loved it! Ended up taking care of a bull elk and they still had a good edge to them when I got done. I've used the Havalon in the past and have to agree with jherald. Hard to change out mid-animal cleaning when your hands are messy. I'd recommend the Hard Way combo to anyone looking for a great lightweight set of backpacking/hunting knives.

jonny5