Long action 300wsm results

Recently finished a tikka build and started load development, first I'll give the gun specs followed by load specs. I have yet to find any solid info on a hunting weapon built like this. Plenty of info for F-class 300wsm's loaded one at a time with 32" barrels but this one is a little different! I am using a 5 round long action 300win mag magazine with flared feed lips to reliably feed the fatter 300wsm's (it actually holds all 5 rounds)

Hope this might help someone with similar set up or ideas.

Gun:
Tikka t3 action
Proof research 24" 1 in 10" twist barrel
MDT Hnt 26 chassis with folder
Area 419 20 MOA rail
Zeiss ultralight rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x50
Harris bipod
Thunderbeast ultra 7" can (soon to be 5")

20211211_205234.jpg

Load specs:
300wsm Norma brass
Fed 210m primer
Nosler 200 grain accubond
COAL 3.080 50 thou off lands
H4831sc

300 pic.PNG
These are the results after running a quick ladder test using a magnetospeed. I was expecting pressure at the 69+ loads but have yet to see any signs. Going to work up some more and see if that's a good node at 68.8-69.2. If I can get that node to shoot I should be sitting around 2910fps. If not I'll bump down to the other obvious node.

Side note. Some of these loads are above the book max charge. This is purely for reference. As always work up on your own safely.

archp625

WKR
Recently finished a tikka build and started load development, first I'll give the gun specs followed by load specs. I have yet to find any solid info on a hunting weapon built like this. Plenty of info for F-class 300wsm's loaded one at a time with 32" barrels but this one is a little different! I am using a 5 round long action 300win mag magazine with flared feed lips to reliably feed the fatter 300wsm's (it actually holds all 5 rounds)

Hope this might help someone with similar set up or ideas.

Gun:
Tikka t3 action
Proof research 24" 1 in 10" twist barrel
MDT Hnt 26 chassis with folder
Area 419 20 MOA rail
Zeiss ultralight rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x50
Harris bipod
Thunderbeast ultra 7" can (soon to be 5")

View attachment 382681

Load specs:
300wsm Norma brass
Fed 210m primer
Nosler 200 grain accubond
COAL 3.080 50 thou off lands
H4831sc

View attachment 382682
These are the results after running a quick ladder test using a magnetospeed. I was expecting pressure at the 69+ loads but have yet to see any signs. Going to work up some more and see if that's a good node at 68.8-69.2. If I can get that node to shoot I should be sitting around 2910fps. If not I'll bump down to the other obvious node.

Side note. Some of these loads are above the book max charge. This is purely for reference. As always work up on your own safely.
Awesome rifle. Just curious, why did you go with a 24" barrel?

OP
B
Awesome rifle. Just curious, why did you go with a 24" barrel?
To get full powder burn with the 300wsm. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 22" either, but with this being a build for reaching out a good ways I wanted to maintain velocity (within reason). I'm actually switching to a 5" Suppressor so I can cut back ok the length a little bit.

OP
B
I understand. With that suppressor I was just curious why you didn't go shorter. I am having one built with a 20" barrel.
That will be a sweet setup. I should mention that my stock is also a folder, so that cuts off about a foot in length when carrying! Length isn't much of an issue in that case

archp625

WKR
That will be a sweet setup. I should mention that my stock is also a folder, so that cuts off about a foot in length when carrying! Length isn't much of an issue in that case
I like the idea of a chassis. I didnt think I would until a friend brought over his rifle the other night to get a scope mounted. I want to build a 6cm in a chassis.

OP
B
I like them too. This MDT really strikes a balance for me. I hunt alot of cold weather and having a carbon fore end is a big deal as I hate Gloves and how cold aluminum can get

Nice. My HNT26 is finally on it's way! I went black but might have to order another in green because that looks pretty good. Mine will be a 20" 300prc with a KGM R338 shooting Berger 215.

OP
B
Nice. My HNT26 is finally on it's way! I went black but might have to order another in green because that looks pretty good. Mine will be a 20" 300prc with a KGM R338 shooting Berger 215.
I presume you'll like it. I wanted the black but was out of stock when I ordered so I went green. Glad I did as it looks much better in person. These chassis are a major win in every way so far. If you like to use sun shades you'll run into clearance issues if scope set low to gun. Where the carbon wraps around the barrel in front.