Long bow string length?

sro914

FNG
A friend of mine just gifted my son a long bow and a recurve. The long bow does not have a string. I know next to nothing about archery hunting. How to i figure out how long of a string the bow would need? I plan to make a trip to the nearest archery shop ( about 50 miles away). Just wasnt sure if there is a formula to figure it out. The only marking that the bow has is that it is 52". Thanks for any help guys.

szostak23

FNG
Generally speaking, a longbow takes a string that is 3” shorter than the length of the bow. So in your case, you’d need a 49” string. For recurves, the general rule is 4” shorter.

Since the bow was gifted, I would assume it is an older bow. When buying strings you have to be aware of the material. For the older bows you want to stay away from the fast-flight string. For my older bows I use B-50 Dacron Flemish Twist string.

Wrench

WKR
X2. Make certain if you use anything other than dacron that the bow can take it.

OP
S

sro914

FNG
Generally speaking, a longbow takes a string that is 3” shorter than the length of the bow. So in your case, you’d need a 49” string. For recurves, the general rule is 4” shorter.

Since the bow was gifted, I would assume it is an older bow. When buying strings you have to be aware of the material. For the older bows you want to stay away from the fast-flight string. For my older bows I use B-50 Dacron Flemish Twist string.
Thanks I appreciate the help

Wrench

WKR
If you already have arrows....take one or a nock so you can see if the serving is close on size too.

OP
S

sro914

FNG
A friend of mine just gifted my son a long bow and a recurve. The long bow does not have a string. I know next to nothing about archery hunting. How to i figure out how long of a string the bow would need? I plan to make a trip to the nearest archery shop ( about 50 miles away). Just wasnt sure if there is a formula to figure it out. The only marking that the bow has is that it is 52". Thanks for any help guys.
Any good online sources for strings? or any to stay away from?

szostak23

FNG
Any good online sources for strings? or any to stay away from?

I’ve bought mine from eBay, never have had any issues with this seller. Good quality strings.

Be aware too that some sellers list the string by actual length and some list it by the bow length, so just double check before purchasing one.

oldgoat

WKR
Rmsgear.com and you generally order a string by bow type and bow length when you don't know the Actual String Length(ASL) you need, it can vary just a little, you should probably order a string for both while you're at it, call rmsgear and talk to them, that way it will be easier to convey what you have and what you need! Their strings are in the $20 range I believe. There's movies in youtube for making string silencers, I'll try to link one for you.

Fjtoyman

FNG

This is spot on. One other thing to consider is the type of nock you are going to be shooting. If you have the string custom made the maker should take this into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk