Long Crank 2009 Chevy

hunterjmj

WKR
Thought I'd throw this out there before I dig into it. My pickup just starting having a long frank before starting. Not always but about 50% of the time. It'll start but it cranks for a good bit before starting.
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L gasser
We're out of town so I'll dig into it when we get back.
Anyone have this issue? I'm guessing a fuel issue?

Last edited:
Had one, did the same thing. Had to crank it twice usually after it had ben sitting a little bit. -20 min or so if memory serves. I think there was a fuel pressure regulator (or the like) that was supposed to be the culprit -it wasn’t lol. Kept the truck another 40,000 and sold it. It was annoying, but a really good truck otherwise.

My guess is crank position or cam position sensors going out. Vehicle will run fine missing one or the other but will crank longer to find where it's at in the rotation

My guess is crank position or cam position sensors going out. Vehicle will run fine missing one or the other but will crank longer to find where it's at in the rotation
That was my first thought as well.

I had a 5.3 LS that had that exact issue.

But I hated the truck, so I sold it.

2muchhp

WKR
Had that in my 2010, fuel pump crapped out. It helped to hit the key and give it time to build pressure then crank over. That and a fuel pressure test lead me to the fule pump.

No codes are being displayed?

idahodave

WKR
Had that in my 2010, fuel pump crapped out. It helped to hit the key and give it time to build pressure then crank over. That and a fuel pressure test lead me to the fule pump.

No codes are being displayed?

This. Just went through exactly what you’re describing. Swapped the fuel pump and problem solved. Vey common in the early 2000’s Chevys.

Local shops wanted $900. I did it myself in a couple of hours for $150 (new pump) and I’m a TERRIBLE mechanic. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do it. remove four bed bolts in driver side. Back out passenger side 4 bolts halfway. Lift up and brace with something, and swap the pump. Easy peezy.

dave

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
No lights on the dash. I replaced the fuel pump about 4 years ago cause the fuel level wouldn't register. If I put the key to on for 5-10 seconds it'll turn over without issue. If I hop in and start it right away it cranks for 4-5 seconds before starting.

idahodave

WKR
No lights on the dash. I replaced the fuel pump about 4 years ago cause the fuel level wouldn't register. If I put the key to on for 5-10 seconds it'll turn over without issue. If I hop in and start it right away it cranks for 4-5 seconds before starting.

Did you replace with a factory pump when you did it?

tony

WKR
Had an old f150 that did that - fuel pump
I'm an ok shade tree mechanic and did it myself. Ground out the bed bolts as the heads pretty much twisted off. Buddy of mine that is a mechanic, another guy and I lifted the bed off, twisted out the remaining bolts, changed the pump.
I replaced those bolts with big lag or deck bolts, nuts and washers. Auto zone fuel pump went out again about a year later. Those bolts turned that job from all day to about 2 hours

Like other guys have said, 2000s GM gassers were known for fuel pump issues. My buddy and I both had the same issue. First fuel level gauge went out, then long crank issue. Listening for prime and waiting to start resolved the crank issue. However, having no fuel gauge and crank issue got annoying enough to finally replace pumps in both. Parts and labor at local small town mechanic were around $400 back then. Nowadays, a guy can watch the video on Youtube and lift the bed. Good luck!

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll test a few things and see what happens. I replaced the fuel pump not long ago so I'll look into other things first.

2muchhp

WKR
Good idea,

Fyi- if your headed the pump direction I bought a OTC fuel testing kit years ago, wasn't much $ and comes with a bunch of adapters/stuff.

CorbLand

WKR
How does it run when it’s started?

I had the same thing happen to my Tundra. Finally took it to a mechanic and they couldn’t figure it out either. Just kept driving it and eventually it started working again. It runs fine now.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
How does it run when it’s started?

I had the same thing happen to my Tundra. Finally took it to a mechanic and they couldn’t figure it out either. Just kept driving it and eventually it started working again. It runs fine now.
It runs great. I've always kept on top of issues and change the oil at 3000 miles. It's at 230,000 miles and running strong. When I get a moment I'll dig into a bit.