Long johns vs puffy pants?

RCB

WKR
Title pretty much says it all. Looking for opinions from those who have used both. I've only ever used long johns. I definitely find the process of removing boots and pants whenever you change them to be pretty annoying. Thinking about zippable down pants, but not sure if I want to drop the money on that.

Static, I can get unbearably cold in 40 degree temps and 50 it's windy, so puffy pants are an absolute must-have for me. I have the Kuiu zip puffy pants and the kuiu zip off long johns. Up to you on the puffy pants, but I would HIGHLY recommend the long johns; Kuiu for synthetic Firstlite for wool.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have a pair of puffy pants and find I leave them at home on all but the coldest of hunts. They are great but I usually stay plenty warm with a 200 weight ice breaker under thin nylon pants like Prana Zions. I am good down to the 20's for fairly long glassing sessions as long as I keep my core warm and use a glassing/butt pad. If the wind is supposed to be ripping the puffy are nice assuming they have a wind breaker layer. The ones I have are not zip off so maybe that limited the amount I was willing to use them. I wouldn't give up the merino layer even if I utilized the puffy pants heavily. I don't think its an either/or situation but more of a "both can be needed/nice at times" type scenario. I don't get cold as easily as most so probably take it with a grain of salt.

How much warmer would puffy pants be compared to long johns? For example like the Kuiu ultras that have half the amount of down vs the pro?

Kuiu zip-off base layers rock. They are quick and easy to put on and take off.

If I need a base layer for my legs, it has to be fairly cold. I currently have and use Kuiu's heavy merino ones. I put them on when it is cold and I am stationary for a period of time. They come off when it comes time to move. If it is really cold (to me) and I will be stationary for some time, I'll throw the ULTRA down bottoms on and if windy, then throw rain pants over it. They come off as well when it comes time to move.

For the majority of my hunting, the ULTRA top and bottom work fine for me in combination with my merino bottoms. However, I should have just went straight to the PRO series and called it good. For not much more money and weight, you get quite a bit more warmth.

In order of warmth (subjective due to differences in all of us and personal preference):
1. Peloton 118/Merino 145
2. Peloton 97/Merino 200
3. ULTRA down
4. PRO down

Other than keeping my WM bag clean, #1 serves no purpose for me. Grab one from #2 and #4. You'll be well covered (no pun intended).

Here is what someone once told me about the Kuiu down tops and bottoms and throwing rain gear over them. "It is like slipping into a warm sleeping bag". While this is not completely true, there is still some truth there. You can absolutely achieve similar, or better, results with other brands.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with Carsonkeys on this, I can get cold just thinking about being cold. If it’s below 50 my kryptek puffy pants are in my pack. Merino long underwear depending on how cold and how long a walk to the stand. When you take the puffys off for the walk out you really find out how well they work. Best gear purchase I’ve made.