Long Pockets: KU or standard?

edg1967

WKR
I need a couple long pockets for extra storage & organization. I will be using them on a "Myfaru"...MR Longbow with a Duplex frame & Grab-it. I'm on the fence about which ones to order. I like the weight savings of th KU but am afraid they will be a little floppy. I'll most likely use one for water bladder & filter with some other miscellaneous things and the other for raingear & more miscellaneous things I want to get to in a hurry (TP). What are some recommendations.

I just received my new longbow to use on a Bikini frame. I ordered two long pockets from mystery ranch. Don't know if I prefer them over the Kifaru long pockets but they are almost half the cost and every bit the quality.

MR rip zips will fit better on your bag. I love the rip zips and they fit on the MR bags like they were sewn right on... Maybe they are worth considering? I would love to see a pic of your set up I have wondered about this.

Lawnboi

WKR
Id take the regular. Iv had and still do have a few KU pieces. The durability is just not what I like, they also don't hold their shape quite like the cordura. Especially if your putting heavy or sharp edges in the pocket it will rub on the straps and eventually make a hole.

Just my opinion, I know some guys like the KU stuff, but ill take the weight of 500d just to have something that I can beat up a little without worry.

Ill keep using my KU stuff though

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Id take the regular. Iv had and still do have a few KU pieces. The durability is just not what I like, they also don't hold their shape quite like the cordura. Especially if your putting heavy or sharp edges in the pocket it will rub on the straps and eventually make a hole.

Just my opinion, I know some guys like the KU stuff, but ill take the weight of 500d just to have something that I can beat up a little without worry.

Ill keep using my KU stuff though

Care to sell off your tattered KU pockets??? I'll buy them for sure.

unm1136

WKR
Any dock and lock stuff will be a little floppy. Unless you are super anal compulsive about tightening the cinch straps down to compress your pack to the smallest possible size, and then crank on the pockets obscenely, and create a strap management system like rhunter's that allows you to tension the tails so nothing loosens. It is one of the inherent flaws of an otherwise brilliant and useful system.

Of course I am not that experienced with dock and lock pockets, having gotten a couple of top zip longs with my EMR for Christmas last year. I have three days in the field with them, about to get days 4-9 next week, and 10-18 later in the month.

pat