long range 300win round

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on a long range 300win round (factory ammo)

I am on the ropes here as I just shot my rifle for the first time today. I used Hornady Precision Hunter ammo 200grn ELDX and found the groups are just barely under an MOA

Howa HS Precision Vortex Viper PST 5-25

would yall be happy with that grouping or find another round?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I'd do some more experimenting. I just bought a box of those and a box of HSM ammo loaded with the 185gr Berger Classic Hunter bullet to try.

I've used handloads with the 180gr Nosler Accubond and had good luck to 600 yards. I shot factory Nosler 180gr E tips last year on whitetail and moose. My rifle liked the factory version so well I decided not to handload them. As I find I have less and less time I'm loading less and shooting more factory stuff. When practicing for the moose hunt I pulled 1 round each from 4 different boxes of E tips that had 3 different lot numbers. I shot them into a 3.5" group at 600 yards. It seems really consistent.

It's not the highest BC ammo, and depending on what range you shoot it might not retain enough velocity to expand. My buddy dropped his moose at 500 yards. The only bullet I recovered came from a whitetail that was facing me at 379 yards. It expanded well and retained 179 grains. Impact velocity should have been around 2075fps. I don't think I'd use it past 600 yards just to make sure it has enough speed to expand.

excaliber

WKR
I like the 200 Gr ELD-X out of my 300 Win Mag. They are the most accurate bullets I've ever shot and they shoot one ragged hole at 200 yards if I do my part.

tlsmith22

FNG
I suggest the Berger 215 as well. Read Broz's post on LRO where he has extensively tested the 215 on lots of big game animals.

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
215 has a proven track record by many long range shooters and hunters... I shoot it in 300 win. 30-378 and 300 ultra mags...Is almost the only 30 cal bullet I have in my cabinet these days .