Long Range Archery Target

treillw

WKR
Suggestions for an archery target for shooting at 100 yards? Needs to be pretty big for me šŸ˜¬

These seem pretty cool, but expensive:

Growing up we had one that was just cardboard compressed together by two 4x4s connected with threaded rods. Worked pretty good. Dunno how well it would fare against a high horsepower bow. I wonder if there would be a better material to compress? Carpet, foam, plastic?

Thanks!

big44a4

WKR
Morrell outdoor range or XXL version seem to do the job for most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it's for home use and permanent, I'd go ahead and build something along the lines of what you've described. But I take my Rinehart Rinoblock with me to base camp and shoot it out to 90 yards when I get bored.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Used to buy 4ā€™x4ā€™x8ā€ blocks of foam from commercial roofing companies. They had them for insulation on flat roof buildings. Worked pretty good. Set a Matrix in front of one a shoot away.

There is a thread on here about an old carpet target. That should work well. I would ask some shops or clubs if they have any old Block 4ā€™x4ā€™ targets with the middle shot out. I purchased 3, 4x4 big block targets for $75 dollars, probably 1200 new, a few years ago, canā€™t shoot the middle but I have been using them for 5 years.

MT257

WKR
I have the matrix. Itā€™s spendy but worth it. I havenā€™t yet had to replace any modules in 3 years even with repeated broadhead use

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
One ton grain bag filled with a dozen or so other grain bags. Makes a 4ā€™ cube and youā€™re arrows only go in about half way.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How thick does the straw need to be? I can't imagine it slowing down a screaming arrow too much...

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to find two big Styrofoam blocks around 6x6 by 2 foot thick. I cut a hole in the middle for a block target to sit in because it's to hard to pull arrows out of styrofoam. I set the block on a treated lumber base and marked off a 100 yard range

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Posted this in another archery thread. Had the mats- donā€™t think theyā€™ll ever wear out. Use soap mix and rubber jar lid opener to pull from the mat.Feed bag with old clothes and plastic bags- easy pull and good stop.That one ton bag ^^sounds good.8FB6A9CF-E0B2-4CB0-820A-B2027145D48D.jpeg

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
This may sound pretty weird but a buddy of mine uses hot tub covers that fold in half. Usually about 7-8 feet tall, high density foam with some sort of covering on them that is weather resistant (until poked full of holes). He picks them up on cleanup week as they need replacing. He just built a 2x4 frame that the target sits at about a 80* backward angle. The arrows seem to go in perfectly perpendicular to the target and sink in about half way up the shaft. Works good because you have a fair amount of up and down on the target. No matter what, people will shoot 20 yards short and 40 yards beyond from my experience. Lots of fun though.