Long range binoculars for Arctic Svalbard

Hunyuk

FNG
Hi all, I'm new here and looking for some input on choosing new binoculars. My use case is a little unusual as I'm using these for my work guiding skiing and snowmobile expeditions in Svalbard, Norway. I've been using an older pair of Nikon 10x42 that finally bit the dust this past season.

During the winter I spend lots of time glassing the sea ice scouting for Polar Bears at long distance (+1000 yrds) and checking ski lines. During the summer observing whales, birds, reindeer, etc.

Looking for something rugged that will perform in extremely cold temps (often 40 below). A lot of Norwegians are running Swarovski but I don't have that kind of money at the moment. After watching quite a few reviews at this point and thinking trying to find a pair of the preHD Leica Trinovids (2012-2015) or Ultravids (if I could find a decent used pair). Otherwise Vortex Razors HD or UHD.

That said I'm wide open to suggestions and guidance – Thanks all!

Attachments

• East coast.jpg
    East coast.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 40
  • tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Van Mijen.jpg
    Van Mijen.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Van Mijen1.jpg
    Van Mijen1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 38

AGPank

WKR
Great pictures. And I thought I had been far north when I visited Bergsfjord.

I have a pair of those Leicas and they are very nice. The Meopta Meostar HD would be another strong performer, it handles chromatic aberration better than the trinovid. I think it may provide better viewing in those conditions you may see.

Other options with good reviews are the Nikon HG and Zeiss Conquest HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I’m scoping ski lines and traveling light, I use Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25’s. They are really easy to use and are razor sharp. I installed rubber winged eye cups to block out glare from bright sun & snow and can be folded down. Alpha glass that fits in your pocket and is affordable. This pic shows them next to my 8x32 SF’s.
172e35a5ccc32cb64f56f0ae2d9503ab.jpg

OP
H

Hunyuk

FNG
Great pictures. And I thought I had been far north when I visited Bergsfjord.

I have a pair of those Leicas and they are very nice. The Meopta Meostar HD would be another strong performer, it handles chromatic aberration better than the trinovid. I think it may provide better viewing in those conditions you may see.

Other options with good reviews are the Nikon HG and Zeiss Conquest HD.

Thanks! Yea it seems tough to find the preHD version and the HDs just dont seem as nice at that price point. I hadn't come across the Meostar HD but now I'm very intrigued. Some folks saying they are too heavy? How would you say the Meostars stack up against the Trinovid HDs?
Appreciate it!

When I’m scoping ski lines and traveling light, I use Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25’s. They are really easy to use and are razor sharp. I installed rubber winged eye cups to block out glare from bright sun & snow and can be folded down. Alpha glass that fits in your pocket and is affordable. This pic shows them next to my 8x32 SF’s.
172e35a5ccc32cb64f56f0ae2d9503ab.jpg

Yes sir! I am very curious how these two match up in terms of real world low light performance. Obviously, the 32 will allow more light to the eye based purely on laws of physics. In real world low light conditions, is there something you would see with the 32 that you would miss with the 25? Enough to be concerning? I'm very interested in an alpha 8x glass at 10oz in the Victory.

Would I be handicapped with the 8x25 glassing first/last light for mule, elk, bear compared to the 32? That 10oz weight is very tempting.

AGPank

WKR
I haven’t seen the new Trinovid HDs, reviews I’ve seen say they aren’t as good as the 2012-2015 trinovids. These were $15-1700 glass as compared to $1k now.

There is a pair of 8x32 cabelas/meostar hd in the classifieds now for $450. Very compact and excellent quality. There are 10x42 on eBay under $700, they pop up on the classified every now and again too. Although the Meostar is slightly heavier than some 32mm glass, I thought it balanced well and fits larger hands. If you are in cold/snowy conditions something to consider.

The real compact binos (25mm and smaller) are often very finicky about eye placement.

Yes sir! I am very curious how these two match up in terms of real world low light performance. Obviously, the 32 will allow more light to the eye based purely on laws of physics. In real world low light conditions, is there something you would see with the 32 that you would miss with the 25? Enough to be concerning? I'm very interested in an alpha 8x glass at 10oz in the Victory.

Would I be handicapped with the 8x25 glassing first/last light for mule, elk, bear compared to the 32? That 10oz weight is very tempting.

I took the Pockets sheep hunting this fall. They worked perfectly fine for that purpose. The 32’s are much better in low light. When comparing side by side, the 32’s have a very special view. It is brighter and has a significantly wider field of view. Also when glassing for long periods of time, the larger glass is more comfortable. However when I have the Pockets out in the field on their own, I am completely happy with them.

I took the Pockets sheep hunting this fall. They worked perfectly fine for that purpose. The 32’s are much better in low light. When comparing side by side, the 32’s have a very special view. It is brighter and has a significantly wider field of view. Also when glassing for long periods of time, the larger glass is more comfortable. However when I have the Pockets out in the field on their own, I am completely happy with them.

Thank you for your response! That makes sense to me.

If you were forced against your will to keep one and sell one, which one would you keep?

Thank you for your response! That makes sense to me.

If you were forced against your will to keep one and sell one, which one would you keep?
Oh the 32's would stay for sure.. But I did pay $1900 for them and only $600 for the VP's. It would be a very hard decision... that's why I have both! I like having the small guys around for lightweight trips and non hunting activities where I might not have binos with me normally.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh the 32's would stay for sure.. But I did pay $1900 for them and only $600 for the VP's. It would be a very hard decision... that's why I have both! I like having the small guys around for lightweight trips and non hunting activities where I might not have binos with me normally.

Every time I tell myself I have what I need and want (other than the triple digit purchases that are not an option) I see something like this.