Long range bug

Beastmode

WKR
So the long range bug got a hold of me. So many options out there from caliber to brand. A long range shot for me right now is 500 yards. Currently shooting a 270 wsm. It is in a remington short action. Shoots good but very limited with my loads due to the shorter remington action.

I am looking for a gun to that is capable of doubling my current "long range" shot and then some. I hunt game from oversized jackrabbits (blacktail) to an occasional elk. I mostly archery hunt elk.

I currently can't afford 2 long range rigs so I need more of an all around deer rig with an occasional elk. I have a budget that most custom guns topped with a nightforce or similar scope would allow. I don't want an extremely lightweight rig like a sheep gun. I personally don't shoot well with utralight weight guns.

I am open to caliber suggestions as well as guns to research. I am really liking the defensive edge lightweight long range rifle. Red rock precision has some descent guns as well and i have actually been around a couple of them. 28 nosler seems good but the cost of brass is ridiculous and I'm worried about throat and barrel life. 7 mag seems like a pretty good all around bet but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks guys

My first true LR gun is an HS Precision Pro Long Range. It weighs 9.5 lbs bare. With my reloads (Hornady 208 BTHP & 215 Berger Hybrids over H1000) it is a quarter MOA gun at 100 yds. I chose the 300 WM for the abundance of components, info (check out Broz's posts here and on other forums) and ballistics. Recoil isn't a problem with the muzzle brake. Only thing I would change is my Viper PST scope.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
For what you are looking for a .260, 6.5 or a 7mm would fine. I would probably opt for the 6.5 for my next rifle. I bought a Savage Bear Hunter in 300 win mag (7.5 pounds) and put a NightForce NSX (30 oz)on it. Recoil is not an issue but I cant spot my own hits. For a true LR I would get the Savage LRH or something similar. I will say with factory rounds my rifle is very good and I cant wait to get reloading with it to make it better. Its is sub moa with factory right out of the box and very good on recoil. I like the adjustable brake on it which is why I would suggest the Savage LRH which is a pound heavier than the Bear Hunter. Broz actually has helped me out a bunch as well. Very good guy but I wouldnt go 300 wm if you mostly chase smaller game than elk with a rifle. I know others have more experience, my only caution to you is dont go too light if you need to spot your own hits. I guess when it comes to picking out a good bipod I dont have to worry about getting anything supper light anyway.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
6.5-06, 260rem, 280ai, 7 rem mag would all be good choices. I like the 7mm selection because of a heavier bullet option for elk, but a 140 grain out of a 6.5mm will def get the job done as well.

When selecting a caliber be sure its something that you can shoot often (both price and recoil). I sold my mag and built a 280 ai, I shoot about 4x as much as I did with the old rifle because it way more pleasant to shoot and very affordable (less powder and brass seems to last forever).

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
So to give an update I am doing a somewhat budget minded gun that Travis with Rbros is doing some work on. Looking forward to getting this gun back. I ended up going with a 300 win mag and going to be throwing 215 Bergers down range.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
So to give an update I am doing a somewhat budget minded gun that Travis with Rbros is doing some work on. Looking forward to getting this gun back. I ended up going with a 300 win mag and going to be throwing 215 Bergers down range.

Nice! I have never handled one of their rifles, but from everything I have seen they are definitely shooters! Post pics when its done! Nice round and very versatile.

I have had 3 Rbros rifles, you won't be dissapointed. You won't find a better smith anywhere. Good choice on caliber the smallest I would have gone with for what you want would have been his 7 mag reamer and the 300 win mag should do everything you will ever want to do.