Long range class for the short range hunter?

Mikido

WKR
I hunt in the north east with a ruger m77 .308. I shoot confidently to 200 yards (probably could do 300 if I had the space to practice). Shots on big game are <150

anyone take one of those 1 or 2 day long range classes? What was your experience? I would have to invest in a higher power scope, which I would likely not use while hunting. Worth it for someone like me?

Thanks

Look into bang steel. Just got back. I hit steel at 1200 first shot after two days of classes. It’s laid back and worth every penny of the 400 bucks.

I think anything you can do to improve your marksmanship and understanding of how the gear works and the bullet in flight will make you a better, more confident hunter. Ten years ago a 250 yard shot scared the heck out of me. I shoot local competitions out to 1300 now and 200 feels so comfortable on game now.

I used to think "eh, that's minute-of-mule deer" with a 2.5" group at 100 yards. Now I think in terms of "I'm going to hit that exact hair".

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Look into bang steel. Just got back. I hit steel at 1200 first shot after two days of classes. It’s laid back and worth every penny of the 400 bucks.
What he said, He just wrote a quick review on his experience at that shooting school I attended the same school separately I totally agree. One of the rifles we brought was a 7 mm 08. They work up a drop chart for you you’ll be making hits out to 1200 yards.

I feel there’s value. If you can regularly hit 500 (for example), then shorter shots tend to get easier to make.

But shooting steel at distance is not the same as shooting an animal at the same distance (in most cases).

Antares

WKR
Two thoughts:

1) Don't worry about needing a high power optic, you don't. I'm not sure what you have, but I'm sure you can shoot out to 600 plus yards with it whatever it is.

2) Good instruction is super valuable, no matter the discipline. That said, it's going to be hard to build experience and confidence if you don't have a place to shoot over 200 yards.

Two thoughts:

1) Don't worry about needing a high power optic, you don't. I'm not sure what you have, but I'm sure you can shoot out to 600 plus yards with it whatever it is.

2) Good instruction is super valuable, no matter the discipline. That said, it's going to be hard to build experience and confidence if you don't have a place to shoot over 200 yards.
Can mimic with a rimfire. Regularly take my 17 HMR out to 300.

Two thoughts:

i agree. more magnification is worse than just enough. i didn't ever zoom past 18x for 1200 yards and felt comfortable.

Antares

WKR
Can mimic with a rimfire. Regularly take my 17 HMR out to 300.

No doubt. I totally agree that you can get a lot of great (and affordable) experience with a good rimfire bolt gun.

I'm just saying if OPs goal is to be proficient at XXX yards...it'd be nice to have a place to shoot XXX yards.

No doubt. I totally agree that you can get a lot of great (and affordable) experience with a good rimfire bolt gun.

I'm just saying if OPs goal is to be proficient at XXX yards...it'd be nice to have a place to shoot XXX yards.
I agree no substitute for knowing you can make that shot. Not hoping you can on paper.

Big Ern

WKR
check out Max Ordinate Academy (Tyler Hughes). Great classes.

10x scope is fine and will easily get you out to 1k yds. Just run what your brung and have fun. You will be a batter shooter after one of Tyler’s classes.

OXN939

WKR
Worth it for someone like me?

Yes. I'm in the same boat as you- always keep my shots within the same zip code- but having at least some exposure to the world of long range shooting gives you a ton more confidence and consistency even if you're keeping shots "close." Guaranteed you won't regret taking a class from a reputable school if you've never done one.

Also, I'll observe that while there's a ton of stuff online about animals being taken at 600, 700, 800 yards etc, there are not nearly as many videos of guys holding consistent vital-sized groups at those distances from field expedient positions in real world conditions with hunting rifles. 200 is a perfectly respectable max effective range.

If you're in the NE, you're probably within 5 hours of Ridgeline, which is a fantastic shooting school taught by fantastic instructors at an amazing facility. I'd recommend staying in Littleton if you go.

For their class, you're going to want a scope with: exposed dialing turrets with the same increment of adjustment as your reticle (mil/mil, moa/moa), and enough range of adjustment to get out over the distances they shoot. You do not need a high powered scope to shoot far. High Mag is helpful for target ID or shooting REALLY small targets. When shooting PRS style engagements I usually don't go above 12-15x all the way out to 1000 yds.

Yes. I'm in the same boat as you- always keep my shots within the same zip code- but having at least some exposure to the world of long range shooting gives you a ton more confidence and consistency even if you're keeping shots "close." Guaranteed you won't regret taking a class from a reputable school if you've never done one.

Also, I'll observe that while there's a ton of stuff online about animals being taken at 600, 700, 800 yards etc, there are not nearly as many videos of guys holding consistent vital-sized groups at those distances from field expedient positions in real world conditions with hunting rifles. 200 is a perfectly respectable max effective range.
Shooting further will also put a spotlight on any issues with your shooting fundamentals. Those tend to be not as pronounced at shorter distances.

Akicita

WKR
Makhaira Group Long Range Precision Rifle Class - 3 Days held in June at Silver Spur Ranch, Encampment Wyoming. Room and Board at Elk Hollow Lodge included in price.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have personally been through Fieldcraft Survival's Pistol training and it is very high quality. I would highly reccomend any of their courses.

Bravo 4

FNG
Professional mentoring/instruction will help your Marksmanship at any & all ranges.
think of it like this; if you learn to shoot beyond your max hunting ranges it makes the shorter shots all the more easier.

ROJO23

FNG
i have taken a 2 day class, 1 on 1 instruction. it was worth the money for sure. We started from the beginning of mounting your scope, to shooting out to 1000 yards on day 2. We collected data every 50 yards for my dope card. The instructor was great, and it was easy hitting the targets out to 1000. Granted he was making the wind calls, but it was still fun. Since then I have shoot in a bunch of tactical matches, and everyone there is willing to help out.

Flyrodr

FNG
Concur with recommendations for Bang Steel. Just took a 1-on-1 half-day course with Dan and Forest (2-on-1?), having never shot my new rifle beyond the 100 yards available at the local range. Made hits, and misses, and learned more from the misses (instant feedback). Amazingly (certainly to me), ended session with 3 for 3 at 1,200 yards. The need to watch the bubble level was burned into me, as was consistency with . . . well, everything. Great instruction, and both are great at making the learning tension-free and enjoyable.

I took a two day long range class at Fierce a few months ago. I was able to get my first deer the day before yesterday at about 25 yards with my 6.5CM so Im still a rookie. I would have not hesitated out to 300 though if I had a good rest. As an old guy but new hunter the class gave me great confidence and familiarity with my rifle. While the big guys were shooting at the one mile target on day two I was able to do what I needed and shoot two at 500, one at 100 then another at 250 and so on as fast as my barrel would cool down. I went through lots of ammo that weekend. There were dozens of steel targets from chipmunks to elk. The afternoon on the last day was back to reality and teaching ethical shooting. We were away from the comfort of shade and benches and on foot with predetermined skills testing. We were shooting off hand, backpacks, prone, kneeling and using sticks at targets from 100 to 800 yards. For me the class was definitely worth it and I am already on the list for next years level two class.

I have a Leupold VX-5 3-15x and it was plenty for me. The 10 inch plate at 975 yards was no problem so I ordered a 300 PRC while I was there with the same scope. Keep in mind I am new but I can't see a need for any more magnification when hunting and thankfully I had the 3x for this close in deer or I would have never found it in the scope.