Long range dialing with rangefinder input HELP

kravguy

WKR
Here's the deal. I have the new Zeiss Victory RF. I also have the new Leica 2800.com. I'm trying to learn how to set either of these so I can range a target and adjust my scope to hit it. My rifle is a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 creedmor topped with a SWFA 3x9x42 with MRAD reticle.

Anyone on this sight do that sort of thing and can help me out? I feel like a useless tool, but I'm starting from scratch and no zero people that do this that could help.

I'm willing to read, watch, listen, learn. Whatever it takes, but could use a hand getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Starting point would be getting muzzle velocity averages for the bullet you are shooting...Assuming you already have an accurate load. For this you need a chronograph, it’s worth the investment to buy one if you’re getting into long range shooting/hunting. Magnetospeed is the best option for the money and ease of use. Personally I’m getting a Labradar because I’m graduating from the Magnetospeed. Start on this then you can start playing with shooting long targets. You have a lot of data to produce but it’s all really easy, on those RFs you need to input bullet speed, weight, brand, scope height above boreline, zero distance etc ... They both adjust automatically for environmental conditions.

Set your zero.
Get a muzzle velocity that's close. And input all your other data.
Buy a steel plate of ebay. 12"
Set plate up 300 ish. Have someone watch for your hit or set phone scope to video yourself.
Walk you bullets in till your getting a hit. Change sight height and velocity until the rangefinder is spitting out what you actual dail up is.
Keep walking back and fine tuning your data.

I spent a lot of time building up in my head it was so hard.
Best thing I did was to just start flinging some.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I plan on doing a bunch of shooting this weekend and will try some farther away.

One big thing I need help with is where you are to take the measurement for scope height? Are they asking for center of barrel to center of scope or where are you guys measuring?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Center of barrel to center of scope. Its most likely ~1.5" ish.

I paid $10 for the "shooter" app on my iphone. Worth it to me, super basic layout, and accurate drops.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks. Yes, I purchased the shooter app as well, and have input at much info to it as I can from work. I'll need to measure the scope height once I get home and then I should be ready to give this a whirl.

I use the Applied Ballistics App and really like it. I saw it being used by the sniper instructors at the USMC Scout Sniper school in Quantico when i went there to teach a mantracking course last year. The Marine snipers recommended it highly. I also tried the Hornady ballistics app but i like the AB app much better. I have used the data to shoot out to 1150 yards (Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor with Burris XTR II 4-20x50) and the data from the app was right on. I have also used the app for data calls with my .224 Valkyrie and .308 rifles and the data for those calibers was very accurate. I don't have any experience using the app for other calibers.

Once you have a good ballistics program you can print out a dope card for shots at every 10 yard increments and then test that at a known range. Make adjustments accordingly, especially about ammo velocity. Once you have an accurate dope card, keep it with your rifle so in case your phone app ever dies then you still can dial for elevation based on your rangefinder data. Elevation, barometric pressure, temperature and humidity are also factors but the biggest factor when shooting at distance is going to be wind and your ability to read it. A Kestrel will let you know what the wind is where you are but will not help you with the wind where your target is or in between.

Since your scope is in mils you can change your rangfinder to measure in meters. That way you can keep metrics the same and remember that 1 0.1 mil click on your scope is 1 cm at 100 meters, 2 cm at 200 meters, 6 cm at 600, etc, The ballistics calculators will convert yards and meters but it is helpful if you ever find yourself using your dope card and see in your scope that you are hitting 1.4 mils low for example.

Thanks for the replies.

One big thing I need help with is where you are to take the measurement for scope height? Are they asking for center of barrel to center of scope or where are you guys measuring?

With bolt closed, measure from the center of the bolt (which will be the center of bore), to the center of your scope tube. This isn’t perfect but I’m sure I get pretty damn close and haven’t seen where this causes issues on my ballistic curves.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Big Thanks to all that have chimed in with help. I didn't get to shoot as much as I had hoped over the weekend. But, I did get some targets placed at 400 and 500 yards. 500 is about the max I can shoot right now, but I should be able to get some 600-650 targets out at the different area.

During the week I worked on getting an app setup similar to the one Form posted. I followed along to the thread he posted. This was my first time doing something like this myself, but I got the scope dialed in to what the app was giving me for mill correction, and dam if I wasn't ringing steel out on those 400 & 500 yard targets.
All my hits were a little low and to the right, but I didn't make any wind corrections. I have a little adjusting to do with the app so I can get closer to the center on elevation. It felt like a huge win to simply hit them for now.

Big Thanks to all that have chimed in with help. I didn't get to shoot as much as I had hoped over the weekend. But, I did get some targets placed at 400 and 500 yards. 500 is about the max I can shoot right now, but I should be able to get some 600-650 targets out at the different area.

During the week I worked on getting an app setup similar to the one Form posted. I followed along to the thread he posted. This was my first time doing something like this myself, but I got the scope dialed in to what the app was giving me for mill correction, and dam if I wasn't ringing steel out on those 400 & 500 yard targets.
All my hits were a little low and to the right, but I didn't make any wind corrections. I have a little adjusting to do with the app so I can get closer to the center on elevation. It felt like a huge win to simply hit them for now.

Good job. It's very satisfying isn't ie.
Next time ad a click or 2 to the dial so your getting center hits. Then adjust your program until it's out putting what you actually have dialed.
Then extend the range and do it again.