Long Range for Dummies?

BCD

WKR
I’m going on my first elk hunt in the Fall of 2020 and I just bought a Hell’s Canyon Speed In 300 WSM and am starting to look at scopes. I want to keep it as simple as possible and I don’t like holdover lines. I have shot more than my share of deer but almost all at less than 120 yards. My goal is to become proficient to 500 yards but honestly would be happy if I am consistent to 400. Can anyone suggest some resources (articles, books, websites) for how I go about setting up a scope for this type of situation as the long range game is all new to me?

Thank you!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm no expert but it's either a holdover with your reticle, adjust your sights based on distance or get a scope such as some of the Leupold 's higher end scopes that wi give you a CDS turret free when you send the appropriate information such as the exact ammo and G1, muzzle velocity, zero, etc. Then just range the distance and turn the turret to that distance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sram9102

WKR
At the distances you're looking at with the 300wsm you should be good to go zeroing at 300. Aim a little low at 200 and a little below the back line at 400. 500 will take a subtension in the reticle or some dialing. Inside 400 don't overthink it at those distances. Just get out and practice at the distances you want to shoot at.

ofl0926

WKR
I was in your same boat as well. I have my first elk hunt this year. I was originally looking at something with ballistic turrets. But after taking with several members, they advised me against it. Remember those ballistic turrets are only good for the location of where you zero. With a true scope that can dial, you would be able to dial reliably. All your corrections would be true and always come back to zero. Another option, which is the route that I went with was, a reticle with holdovers, good turret system and I’m using iStrelok for my holdovers.

Also, practice makes perfect. This is the training i am doing. Get confident behind your rifle. Don’t go and put thousands of rounds down the barrel cause then you will need a new barrel. Instead, take a box of ammo, take tour time on each shot. Get comfy and familiar with the rifle. Shoot however you think you will be shooting in your hunt. Also closer to the hunt, I will be doing some burpees or some type of exercise to elevate my heart rate and then take my shot. Trying to simulate the adrenaline before taking a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some videos to get some of the basics in shooting.

Get a scope with priority on reliable tracking/zero retention over the lightest with incrementally better glass. Find Formidulosus' scope mounting thread on this forum. I use a Plumb bob to align the reticle up and down while installing a scope level.

Use kestrel/ballistic calc app and validate dope at ranges. Honestly a rangefinder like the Sig ABS or leica with custom ballistic curve capability would give you reliable dope readings easily at 500 yards without dealing with a separate app or weather meter.

If you have a 223 or something lighter I'd practice with that and enjoy making easy hits to 500+ yards and watching your impacts and once youre comfortable hammer away with the xbolt. While my x-bolt 300 WSM has manageable recoil, i don't enjoy "practicing" with it at all.

KClark

WKR
There is no substitute for trigger time and bullets down range. Search out local Long Range (800-1,000yards) or mid-range (300-600 yards) matches, NRA or Tactical and plan on entering a few. You will be immersed in real shooting at known distances along side very competent shooters who would love to help you learn the ropes and after a few times out you skill will grow much faster than you can achieve on your own hoping you're doing it right. Don't worry about your equipment, you're not there to win the match.