Long Range Gear Overview

Sam. Thanks for letting us have a peek inside your shoot bag!
I run the G7BR2 laser. I like it because it is multiple components in one piece and it is quick. I have not outgrown it yet but hope to shoot beyond its capabilities some day. What are your thoughts on the G7BR2?

OP
Sam Millard
Well, they aren't for me. I used one for a couple of days, but didn't like it. I can't remember the particulars as to why. The one I was using stopped working shortly afterwards and had to be sent in for repair.

I think it's a great idea, but like a lot of things that do several jobs ok, it didn't seem to excel at any of them. I know a couple of great LR shooters that still carry them when the shots won't exceed 800 yards or so that have never had a problem with them.

If you don't want an anemometer like a Kestrel, don't carry a phone or other device with a ballistic program on it, and don't have a way to measure angle degrees or cosine on your rifle, then it might be worth a try. I didn't have the Leica LRF when I tried the G7, but my Swaro seemed to be matched up to the G7 equally, and the Leica 1600B runs circles around the Swaro in all conditions:)

Maybe some day I'll give one a closer look, but for now, I'm 100% happy with the Leica 1600B, Kestrel 3500/4000, and iPhone/Bulletflight(M) combo. It has served me well and is useful beyond my capabilities right now.

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Sam,

What are your thoughts on the Kestrel 4500 with Advanced Ballistics (a $300 option) vs. the Kestrel 3500/4000 and smartphone with ballistics solver? I'm trying to weigh the advantages of having the ballistic solver and weather station in one unit and I've read and watched many positive reviews of the 4500 AB. However as robust and weather resistant as Kestrel claims the 4500 is, its hard to justify double the cost when I already have a couple of ballistic apps on my Galaxy S5. From a simplicity view leaving my phone in truck would be nice and I've read that the Kestrel battery life is far superior to a smartphone. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks, John

OP
Sam Millard
I haven't tried one, but the screen is TINY...! Ryan looked at one at SHOT, maybe he can chime in on this.

I will say I'm liking the 4000 so far over the 3500 simply for the user screens with 3 measurements in one place. They are both very solid instruments with fantastic battery life.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
On the 4500 with Applied Ballistics you have to input with a toggle on a little screen. It is a pain in the ass. IME it's much simpler and quicker to input data on a phone.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the G7 rangefinder and it has worked very well when I needed it. I also take a kestrel, for wind measuring, and temps were always close between the two. When I run straight cosine numbers as opposed to what the G7 calculates, it has been close enough for killing animals at long range. The wind is still the most difficult to gauge in the back country for me at long range distances.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes it works without service. We both use Bullet Flight on iPhones. I can get 3+ days on airplane mode.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
In theory the math is the same. I think it comes down to personal preference. I like the simplicity of BF. It helped me to take a moose at 1775 yards. Sam and I have made a lot of first round hits from 1500 to 2000 yards with this app.

OP
Sam Millard
Another very good ballistic program is Exbal. We used to run it on Dell Axims (terrible battery life!!!) I also have the Nightforce version of Exbal loaded on a Trimble Recon. Absolutely bulletproof combo. If I were going to Alaska for any length of time, that would go with me for sure! I still bring it for a backup in the truck if the phone goes on vacation:)

The military version of BulletFlight allows us to use Coriolis and spin drift calcs for the really long shots. Don't need them (for the 338s) under 1200 or so.

We have had no problems with these, but I still recommend building drop charts for various conditions and stashing them throughout your gear...

Another very good ballistic program is Exbal. We used to run it on Dell Axims (terrible battery life!!!) I also have the Nightforce version of Exbal loaded on a Trimble Recon. Absolutely bulletproof combo. If I were going to Alaska for any length of time, that would go with me for sure! I still bring it for a backup in the truck if the phone goes on vacation:)

The military version of BulletFlight allows us to use Coriolis and spin drift calcs for the really long shots. Don't need them (for the 338s) under 1200 or so.

We have had no problems with these, but I still recommend building drop charts for various conditions and stashing them throughout your gear...

Awesome thanks for the detailed response sam. Im one of those lightweight weirdos so i plan on using a ballistic app on my iPhone that has a life proof case for all my sheep and mountain hunts so I'm not adding anymore gear. But I'm just getting my longer range setup going in the next couple weeks so can't wait to go build/verify some ballistic charts

gelton

WKR
Also take a look at an ap called Shooter...you can use spin drift and coroiolis calculations. Also hooks up to nearest weather station to make adjustments to drops based on temp, altitude and humidity. Its the only one that I have tested so for all I know all of the recommended aps above might do the same as Shooter but its a very nice setup and works great for my uses.

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I've watched some youtube videos that also recommend the Shooter app. I downloaded a bunch of free ones on my phone this morning (Lapua, Swarovoski, Strelok), mainly for comparison, but I've also been doing some research on others. Applied Balistics, Brian Litz's has a lot of great reviews but its $30 vs. Bullet Flight L1 for $4 (the highest level of Bullet Flight is M for military and also costs $30). I couldn't find Exbal in any of my app searches, nor could I find JBM ballistics which I also found good reviews of.

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Also take a look at an ap called Shooter...you can use spin drift and coroiolis calculations. Also hooks up to nearest weather station to make adjustments to drops based on temp, altitude and humidity. Its the only one that I have tested so for all I know all of the recommended aps above might do the same as Shooter but its a very nice setup and works great for my uses.

gelton - how does it connect to a weather station; a cable, or Bluetooth?

gelton

WKR
It uses 4G, so in order for it to sync with a weather station you have to have cell service. Everything else will work even without cell service.

OP
Sam Millard
Awesome thanks for the detailed response sam. Im one of those lightweight weirdos so i plan on using a ballistic app on my iPhone that has a life proof case for all my sheep and mountain hunts so I'm not adding anymore gear. But I'm just getting my longer range setup going in the next couple weeks so can't wait to go build/verify some ballistic charts
That will work very well for you. I have my iPhone4 in an Otter box and haven't been able to kill it now for 2 years. I hear the Lifeproof cases are better. Another feature of BF is an option called "calculate simple". You input your atmospherics in the main screen, then click on calc simple. It allows you to scroll distance, wind speed, and wind direction...no typing in numbers! Handy for fat or cold fingers:) Not sure if Level 1 has it, but the M version does.

OP
Sam Millard
It uses 4G, so in order for it to sync with a weather station you have to have cell service. Everything else will work even without cell service.

I believe BulletFlight has this as well, but if you aren't parked on top of the weather station it's reading, it won't do you any good in the mountains. Pressure and temps vary a lot even a couple of miles from the stations around here.

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Sam or Ryan maybe I'm out in left field but dosent bulletflight have the ability to give you the angle consign? I was just wondering if it did if it was trustworthy?