Long range optic under 2K

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I am upgrading my scope on 300 WM and would like ideas and opinions on what to look at. I’m currently thinking Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 but would consider finding used ATACR if it’s really that much better. Also have considered Leupold Mark 5 or VX6 maybe, but have read some bad reviews on tracking can anyone chime in? Thanks guys

Used ATACR is the way to go in my opinion. They're available for $1900-2000 used and about $2200 for a demo scope from a reputable vendor . NXS are great , but the ATACR is a legit step up and worth every penny.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Used ATACR is the way to go in my opinion. They're available for $1900-2000 used and about $2200 for a demo scope from a reputable vendor . NXS are great , but the ATACR is a legit step up and worth every penny.

In your opinion why is the ATACR better than the NXS?

@OSU Fisher what made you decide on the Mark 5 over other offerings?

Thanks

ATACR has a huge amount of adjustment on the 1st turn and the glass is amongst the best available. My son , my wife and I have been beating the sh!t out of my ATACR for years and its been nothing short of absolutely reliable.

There's nothing better in the price range in my educated opinion. I've used every scope available except for TT and ZCO .

Athlon Cronus BTR. I don't think sumthing comes close for the money. Right with other scopes for 1k more.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Nightforce, or if weight conscious Zeiss V6. Don’t think the Leupold’s are comparable glass wise in the same price range. I have some NXS and Mark 4s and a 5, and to my eye’s they don’t compare.

And I mean we really need more from the op.
What over all weight what type of rifle.
You put an atacr on a super lightweight rifle it will be a top heavy pig.
So over all build has alot to do with it.

In your opinion why is the ATACR better than the NXS?

@OSU Fisher what made you decide on the Mark 5 over other offerings?

Thanks

Ive got a few buddys running them. Along with some well respected guys on the internet not to mention plenty of other people. There are very few that are unhappy with them. After being behind them on others rifles and reading countless hrs on them I figured I couldnt go wrong. Yes leupold has a bad wrap when it comes to dialing. I cant say yes or no if they've fixed all problems with their other scopes but they seem to have gotten the mark5 right! My buddies running the mark5's also have some other top scopes including ATACR's they like these just as mmuch if not more. The glass is killer and everything else is right on par with what I wanted. Good tourets, zero stop, capped windage, reasonable weight etc. I'm very happy with my choice. I also can get leupold deals which didnt hurt but I would have easily passed if I didn't think they were going to be a good choice as there's other great scopes out there and deals to be had on those as well. I dont think you can go wrong with either....

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Great feedback guys, I’m replacing a vortex HS-LR 6-24x56. For this build weight isn’t a concern, but I need durability and good turrets which it sounds like the nightforce might slightly edge out the Leupold. That said another major factor for me is GLASS QUALITY, I’m a glass snob. Who has honestly without biased options compared these optics?

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Also please keep in mind I can get the Leupold mark 5 brand new but would need to get the nightforce ATACR used due to budget, would that mess with any warranty from nightforce?

Do you run MOA or Mils? Want to change to ffp or keep it sfp? What’s your ideal mag range and how heavy is too heavy?

I’ve learned everyone has an opinion on what they need :)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Do you run MOA or Mils? Want to change to ffp or keep it sfp? What’s your ideal mag range and how heavy is too heavy?

I’ve learned everyone has an opinion on what they need :)

Mike

I’m still pretty green at all of this but am leaning towards switching to mills and FFP also the 5-25 area seems good from what experiences I have, though something along a 3-18 might be good also. This is all going onto a 13lb rifle, so I’m already heavy at this point I just want robust and dependable.

I’m still pretty green at all of this but am leaning towards switching to mills and FFP also the 5-25 area seems good from what experiences I have, though something along a 3-18 might be good also. This is all going onto a 13lb rifle, so I’m already heavy at this point I just want robust and dependable.

The LRTS from Bushnell is the best optic under $1500 and 30 oz on the market. 28 oz and the non illuminated G3 reticle is great.
The new DMR II ED has pure fluorite glass and is brighter with a bit more magnification than the LRTS.

NF ATACR is right in your wheelhouse as well. Same pure fluorite glass as the high end Bushnell stuff. The new NX8 is something I’d go for over the ATACR just from a weight standpoint. Great mag ranges as well.

Athlon Cronus BTR is another Japanese made pure fluorite glass optic that has zero weak points. Don’t use many due to the weight however.

Mark 5 is getting more momentum and popularity with my customers. I’m digging the turrets and ergonomics/features. There’s a user here that’s had a parallax knob spinning under recoil issue, but that may be an anomaly. No failures yet.

Kahles 525. Phenomenal scope, don’t use much due to the weight again.

Good luck with your choices, new glass is always awesome! If you find yourself in the market for an Athlon or Bushnell, get ahold of me.

Mike