Long range optic under 2K

Vandy321

WKR
S&B 5-25 PMII

Save the weight over the NFand get the better glass, no CA, better turrets (MTC), etc.

Can be found used for just over $2k.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
S&B 5-25 PMII

Save the weight over the NFand get the better glass, no CA, better turrets (MTC), etc.

Can be found used for just over $2k.

Where do you find these used? I did some searches and couldn’t turn anything up. Does Schmidt and Bender have the same durability as NF?

Vandy321

WKR
Where do you find these used? I did some searches and couldn’t turn anything up. Does Schmidt and Bender have the same durability as NF?

Check Snipershide classifieds. $2500 is probably an easy find for a PMII, but if you are willing to wait for the right deal, you can find them for pretty close to 2k.

I doubt any optic will be as durable as the ATACR, I'm sure we've all seen the pic from AFG with a NF functioning with a bullet whole through it. I've owned both a Kahles and a S&B recently and they are both very stout, no concerns from me carrying one on a hunting rifle, they survive PRS matches all year long, more abuse than I would ever put one through.

ericF

WKR
Surprised the Swarovski X5 hasn't been mentioned yet. They recently decided to discontinue the non-illuminated models and everybody clearanced out these scopes for great prices a little while back getting you down to <$2k for a $2.5K scope. Looks like Europtics still have some with the BRM reticle in stock. You will find the superb glass you want along with great tracking and custom designed for hunting vs the ATACR. You might be able to find this a few other places, but most of the clearanced X5's have been scooped up already.

https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-x5-35-18x50-brm-79011.aspx

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the new NF NX8 in 2.5-20 or 4-32. I don’t have any personal experience with one as they’re brand new. Sounds like they’ll sub $2K and fit the bill perfectly....

Any opinions on the Vortex Razor AMG or Gen 2?
Though I've only had it since this last January, I'm really liking my AMG. It's the closest thing to a perfect hunting scope for my wants and desires I think I could get. I may get an NX8 to try in the future, they are very interesting to say the least. Waiting for more feedback on that one though.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
The LRTS from Bushnell is the best optic under $1500 and 30 oz on the market. 28 oz and the non illuminated G3 reticle is great.
The new DMR II ED has pure fluorite glass and is brighter with a bit more magnification than the LRTS.

NF ATACR is right in your wheelhouse as well. Same pure fluorite glass as the high end Bushnell stuff. The new NX8 is something I’d go for over the ATACR just from a weight standpoint. Great mag ranges as well.

Athlon Cronus BTR is another Japanese made pure fluorite glass optic that has zero weak points. Don’t use many due to the weight however.

Mark 5 is getting more momentum and popularity with my customers. I’m digging the turrets and ergonomics/features. There’s a user here that’s had a parallax knob spinning under recoil issue, but that may be an anomaly. No failures yet.

Kahles 525. Phenomenal scope, don’t use much due to the weight again.

Good luck with your choices, new glass is always awesome! If you find yourself in the market for an Athlon or Bushnell, get ahold of me.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mike, appreciated your reply. I was able to spend some time around some lower end Athlons I was impressed. I looked at the Ares I think, but was looking online at the Cronus. What are a few things I will loose with the Athlon vs the nightforce ATACR or Mark 5

Hey Mike, appreciated your reply. I was able to spend some time around some lower end Athlons I was impressed. I looked at the Ares I think, but was looking online at the Cronus. What are a few things I will loose with the Athlon vs the nightforce ATACR or Mark 5

Don’t think you can go wrong with any of them! All three have comparable glass and brightness. Turrets are fantastic on all of them, solid zero stops, plenty of elevation. The Mark 5 and the NF have capped windage. NF has the best reputation for tracking. Mk5 at 29 oz is the lightest of them by a wide margin. The Cronus is the cheapest price wise. I’d run any of them with confidence at this point.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I’m ecstatic to get an AMG that is on the way to me. I didn’t know until this week that it had a 30mm Tube. Then I was scared by the 6x min mag..it has a larger FOV at 6x than a Leupold 4.5-14 at 4.5x and the same as a Leupold 4-12 at 4x. I’m pumped, feature packed with Razor HD glass, 100% American made outside of a German reticle (whoa big fault, not lol), and by all reports tracks perfectly.

Last edited: