Long Range Peep Sight latest and greatest?

Billinsd

WKR
I've read Jim Carr's https://www.rokslide.com/maximizing-muzzleloader-accuracy-with-peep-sights/
and watched Robby shoot a target at 250 yds on YouTube.

I use the Williams FP peep and use the fiber pin that came with my Knight Ultralite. Those of you with the knobs instead of the screws, is it too hard to slide the peep when hunting for correct range and does the peep move? I read posts where people said the peep moved a bit with the knobs? I tried a Williams cylinder front globe sight that I could place a thin wire cross or pin from Lee Shaver, however it wouldn't work well in low light and was difficult to see. I read about Gunwerks dial open sight that was overly expensive and Gunwerks is kaput now. William's has a new Western Precision muzzleloader sight
with a globe that does need shims to fit on a round barrel and their own metal "hunting"inserts that look better, more robust for hunting than the Lee Shaver "target" inserts. However, no brightness for low light like a fiber pin.

My goal is to have the most precise, practical, long range sight out to 250 or so yards.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey thanks for the watch, @Jim Carr is about ready to blow this place up with another peep sight that seems like it’s going to outdo all these others.

It’s the dialable gunwerks Rev. (*update, just saw you mentioned they're kaput? Not as of yesterday)

I wouldn’t buy anything until we get to hear more about that.

Also if you jump in that Encore 45 caliber Arrowhead thread I started in this muzzleloader forum, you’ll see I was shooting to 300 yards this year with a peep. And there’s guys that can do better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I'm not sure what was meant by this but gunwerks is not kaput to the best of my knowledge.

I thought they filed bankruptcy?

They got sued by wells fargo, they paid their bill, and are still selling $10+k rifles to folks who have more $ to buy competency than those who settle for Sig BDX systems or Leupold CDS dials.

Honestly it seemed pretty bad based on the news stories. Since then I've seen other big financial institutions use BS lawsuits to muscle for what they want in my professional life and don't doubt that WF was being the schmucks they are.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
ancient thread. Unless something new came up in last few days?

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
ancient thread. Unless something new came up in last few days?
No, my revised reason for thinking something happened to Gunwerks. I've never read through all that, just a couple pages. Sounds like everything is good!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
No, my revised reason for thinking something happened to Gunwerks. I've never read through all that, just a couple pages. Sounds like everything is good!

no worries man, I, comment on old all threads on accident all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Newbie. I just read those Jim Carr articles form 2015 on using Peep Sight to extend your effective shooting range. Then I see the title to this Post and it got my attention. I'm in the process of setting up my Muzzleloader for my dad for a Colorado Guided Rut Elk Hunt and any information on these peep sights is interesting to me. I'm looking forward to the "Latest and Greatest" from JIm Carr.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Also setting up a “Colorado” legal ML now and was hoping to obtain some more perspective on what works well for those that have been there and done that. Wanting a site that can reach out to 150 to 200 max, with the hunter in mind. Have heard good things about the NECG 106 front peep site with the Western Precision Globe rear. But curious to hear was has served you well, and why? Thank you in advance.

Kurts86

WKR
I tried both the Williams globe setup and a fiber optic front site for Colorado legal setups and settled on a fiber optic front for Elk hunting. I would probably use the globe for high country mule deer to push the range out to 150-200 yards.

My experience with Colorado muzzy elk is that you find them in thick north facing slopes and shot opportunities I have experienced have been more like longer archery shots 40-60 yards in the first or last hour of light so a brighter but less precision front sight is critical. Also elk vitals are bigger than deer so a fiber optic that covers 6-12” of the target at 100 yards still leaves some vitals visible whereas on a deer at 150-200 yards that fiber optic front will obscure all the vitals.

DanimalW

WKR
I tried both the Williams globe setup and a fiber optic front site for Colorado legal setups and settled on a fiber optic front for Elk hunting. I would probably use the globe for high country mule deer to push the range out to 150-200 yards.

My experience with Colorado muzzy elk is that you find them in thick north facing slopes and shot opportunities I have experienced have been more like longer archery shots 40-60 yards in the first or last hour of light so a brighter but less precision front sight is critical. Also elk vitals are bigger than deer so a fiber optic that covers 6-12” of the target at 100 yards still leaves some vitals visible whereas on a deer at 150-200 yards that fiber optic front will obscure all the vitals.
I put the Williams ghost peep on my CVA a few years back, and left the fiber optic on the front. I’m happy with that choice for around $15. Drastic improvement for me over the stock rear site, and drilling 2” groups at 100 yards. Don’t think I’d have any issues extending that 50-100 yards practicing some holdovers.

I will say this though, I’m not a fan of peeps for that last 15 minutes of hunting. The ghost is a little bigger/thinner, but still don’t love it.

Looking for the same set up for my CVA MR-X, what height front sight works with the williams WRGS peep?

Wrench

WKR
I'm going to the foolproof with knobs as I have fought the lack of elevation on two rifles.

I bought this rig with plans to steal the sights until I learned it won a world palma match as it sits. I am using the design for the basis of my next rodeo.

Screenshot_20220501-072638_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20220501-072624_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20220501-072613_Photos.jpg

For myself and myself only - the best and most functional open sight combination I have used remains the Williams FP Peep and Williams Streamlined Ramp with fiber optic bead (which I do change to a green optic) and the Fire sight hood. Looking through this combination really mimics what you might see through a 1X scope only with less field of view. This combination for me is acceptable out to 200 yards and even works in low light situations. By remove the rear peep in low light you have effectively converted the sight to a 'ghost ring' sight.

El-bar-Mod.jpg

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

Green-Fiber.jpg

Using this sight system and 3" PBR sight + a 6 O'clock hold on the target I am really comfortable with a shot on an elk at 200 yards. Of course, there are many additional factors that have to be added in to make this shot.

This is a composite pic that shows this combination at 100 yards. With the 100 yd range and a 6 O'clock hold these birds are a piece of cake. You do need know that 100 the bullet will be at near 3" high so you do make an adjustment by holding under the clay with the front sight.

20-4-20-HDISC-325-Shoot.jpg

Last edited:

eltaco

WKR
I hunted last year with a Lyman globe up front with Lee Shaver reticle insert. On rear, I used a Williams FP sight to allow me to adjust for elevation. I could target shoot at 300yds with this setup and it performed exceptionally well for my eyesight. That said, it’s definitely not a good low light setup, as that front reticle would disappear with 15-25mins of shooting light to spare.

I’d really like to find a small fiber option for the front hood… similar to sabotloader’s setup above, but with a 0.019” fiber. I haven’t been able to find anything for a muzzleloader, though there are a few air rifle options that I don’t expect to withstand the impact of a 50 cal for long.

I’m sure I’m the end I’ll end up settling with the fiber shown above. Though that diameter covers more target than I’d like, the low light performance would be beneficial. I’ll shoot it against my existing setup to see how they compare at distance.

I think the front hood is highly beneficial to gaining alignment with the rear peep, as well. I’ll stick with it with whichever option I land on.

I guess I’ll address the elephant in the room. That Gunwerks option looks decent, but at 15x the cost of a similarly functioning Williams FP sight, I can’t understand what benefit it brings to an open sight muzzy setup. The profit margin on that product must be insane.

Last edited:

eltaco

WKR
For myself and myself only - the best and most functional open sight combination I have used remains the Williams FP Peep and Williams Streamlined Ramp with fiber optic bead (which I do change to a green optic) and the Fire sight hood. Looking through this combination really mimics what you might see through a 1X scope only with less field of view. This combination for me is acceptable out to 200 yards and even works in low light situations. By remove the rear peep in low light you have effectively converted the sight to a 'ghost ring' sight.

El-bar-Mod.jpg

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

Green-Fiber.jpg

Using this sight system and 3" PBR sight + a 6 O'clock hold on the target I am really comfortable with a shot on an elk at 200 yards. Of course, there are many additional factors that have to be added in to make this shot.

This is a composite pic that shows this combination at 100 yards. With the 100 yd range and a 6 O'clock hold these birds are a piece of cake. You do need know that 100 the bullet will be at near 3" high so you do make an adjustment by holding under the clay with the front sight.

20-4-20-HDISC-325-Shoot.jpg

Could I ask some more info on that front sight?
- What is the diameter of the hood?
- What height of firesight dovetail pin did you use to center the pin in the hood?
- How is the hood connected to the ramp?

I have a Williams front ramp with hood grooves, but not sure which pin height to purchase along with a hood.

Thanks
ba8409943a887bb488a57f3a9f99c76c.jpg