Long range practice

Craig4791

WKR
I like shooting rocks at real long distance. You don't have to set them or pick them up :)

Whisky

WKR
I got a place where I can go and shoot rocks from 400 to 1500 yds...I had steel set up one summer from about 400-1000 and found the rocks to be much more convenient for me so my steel targets only get used once in awhile now.

The biggest thing, be it rocks or steel, make sure you have a backdrop and make sure it allows you to see your misses (ie not 3ft tall grass). You're pissing into the wind if you can't spot your impacts.

New here but this is what I do, I try to get up around 7000 +- feet during the summer to do my practicing, sorry if you are unable to do this it wont apply. The brutal 100 degree heat in my country makes mirage in your scope horrible, barrel temp and cartridge pressure at it's worst. But thanks to Hodgdon extreme powders it helps eliminate one of those... to a extent. Anyway I pick out a course on google earth, strap the pack on and go out hiking. I will see a rock on a hillside, set up range, apply dope and fire like it is a world record timber donkey! Of corse I only do this after barrel brake in and load development, being up in the mountains is cooler and is around the elevation i rifle hunt at. The G7BR2 rangefinder is awesome! vary pricey but has saved me so much time and so so accurate. I promise you it will allow me to harvest a trophy that in the past would be lost due to drop charts, iPod and other devices.

Mckinnon

WKR
I like milk jugs full of water, then put a few drops of red or blue food coloring. Makes it very easy to see

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I also have a g7 rangefinder and I do love it. But it's still not going to call the wind for you.

I have really only been shooting long range for about two years. It's not the dialing that's hard, it's the wind, so last summer I tried to find spots that had tricky wind situations. So now I know enough to know I don't know enough:)

I also have a g7 rangefinder and I do love it. But it's still not going to call the wind for you.

I have really only been shooting long range for about two years. It's not the dialing that's hard, it's the wind, so last summer I tried to find spots that had tricky wind situations. So now I know enough to know I don't know enough:)

I agree Ryan, the wind will humble you fast. I have been long range shooting for 7 years now. Im in the same boat you are. I have learned some cool tricks from well known people but, you have to practice them. the furthest shot I have maid while hunting was a Caribou in Alaska with a 2 to 4 mph quarter value wind with gusts up to 7 mph at 763 yards, it was easy to call because of the flat terrine. A long ways but vary achievable with a lot of calibers and bullet Combos. Now go to western Wyoming in mid Sept. and you get to learn what cross canyons, down drafts, up drafts and two different wind directions and it seems impossible past 600!
I guess that I should have posted earlier that is another reason I practice were I do. Me personally I can usually get within .5 MOA wind call all the time and on easier wind calls within a .25 or dead on.If I cant call the wind, I don't shoot and get closer, simple as that. I have tons to learn still and still call bad wind. Below is the rifle I have going in to this year for busting up the wind. Any BC in the .7's G1 drag model will amaze you on wind bucking capability if anybody has not used them before. :cool:

new rifle build for this year
300 Dakota 27.5" Brux 1:10
Mcmillan hunter stock
Vortex PST FFP
rem. 700 long action trued and blue printed
230 grain OTM berger at 2924 with 7 fps SD.

I honestly built this set up for bucking wind, .719 BC stays super sonic well past 1500 yards

How does everybody practice for their long range hunts?

Your biggest friend will be to get out and practice, and to keep either a data book or simple note book documenting your shots and locations. You will start to see a pattern develop around your setup that will prove invaluable in the field. This is the best thing you can do to make those cold bore shots.

For example, you may have an upcanyon shot on a rock at 865 yards, barometric pressure of 26.5", temp at 68*, 5-7 mph wind at 8 O'clock, 12* look angle. Make sure you document what your initial callout is, where the shot it, and what other topographical features may be influencing the thermals or wind direction between you and your target. It's tough to keep all this data for every shot but even at the end of your shooting session, writing in a journal or something similar about conditions and your rifles dope for the day will always help you out!

Mike

Your biggest friend will be to get out and practice, and to keep either a data book or simple note book documenting your shots and locations. You will start to see a pattern develop around your setup that will prove invaluable in the field. This is the best thing you can do to make those cold bore shots.

For example, you may have an upcanyon shot on a rock at 865 yards, barometric pressure of 26.5", temp at 68*, 5-7 mph wind at 8 O'clock, 12* look angle. Make sure you document what your initial callout is, where the shot it, and what other topographical features may be influencing the thermals or wind direction between you and your target. It's tough to keep all this data for every shot but even at the end of your shooting session, writing in a journal or something similar about conditions and your rifles dope for the day will always help you out!

Mike

+1

Good post Mike, Data entry is Vital

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter_colorado3322
The G7BR2 rangefinder is awesome! vary pricey but has saved me so much time and so so accurate. I promise you it will allow me to harvest a trophy that in the past would be lost due to drop charts, iPod and other devices.

I disagree, it works of the same chart you can load on your pda, phone, just takes abit longer to come up with firing solution.

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
Heres a quick video of a practice shot, we usually do.
[video]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/A1123E23-41D9-4B35-8E72-171BA39E40F4-1048-000000E4F726AE4E.mp4[/video]

How does everybody practice for their long range hunts?

I picked up a Caldwell portable gong last year and it has been awesome. I did not even buy a range pass this year because I enjoyed shooting it so much more. I just set it up in the bush where ever I want and let the copper fly.