Long range rests

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some new options for something I thought I had figured out, until I hunted north western montana last week. Can you guys give me some ideas on what you do for shooting long range, when you are on a steep hillside? Prone is by far my favorite and I have 100% confidence when I can get prone, but when I'm sitting on a 30-45 degree slope and shooting across canyon, prone just isn't always an option. I have a set of cross shooting sticks that are great but still didn't work for what I needed. I was hoping some of you would have some tips on 500+ yard shots from a situation like this, obviously if we're talking really long, prone is probably the only way to go.

Check out the Hogsaddle. You will need a tripod, but it is rock solid.

Hog saddle or some DIY mount to secure your rifles forend to your tripod, key thing here is to be able to use your pack or something to use as a pseudo rear bag. Let your tripod hold the weight and with the Kifaru you can actually set the rear of the stock on the top lid in between the frame stays. It’s surprisingly steady.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use two different saddles. a PRS saddle, and a Kopfjager reaper grip on a heavy duty tripod with a nice ball head. On the Reaper grip I can shoot out to 1000 yd no problem. A few techniques work: driving the gun with a c-clamp grip resting my weight on the tripod (requires solid core strength), using a sling/strap configuration, using a pack/bag rest under my ribs. Use the reaper rig and you can film at the same time as well.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherbow,

Don't know if it will work for you, but I use one of the tall Harris bipods seated on the ground. Then I use my Kifaru in back to steady the rear. How I use the pack in the back depends on the ground situation (sloping, flat, rocks etc) I have available, but it is very steady. I have shot out to 1200 yards this way.

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I have the modular evolution and carry the long legs in my pack. They change out easy and quick and would allow the shots you are describing. Not as stable as prone, but pretty good with practice.

Modular Evolution Bipod Review by Daniel Brozovich - Long Range Only

Store - Long Range Only

I also have the evo bipod and considered this. The cost would be a lot better than a tripod with one of the various clamps mentioned, as I would need to buy the clamp, larger tripod as mine is a smaller more compact tripod, and a better more heavy duty head. I do like all the tripod mounting ideas though that seems like a nice solid rest. I will do some researching today thanks for all the input so far

For any Harris/Atlas users you should check out www.Riflesticks.com

The owner Clint is a great dude, awesome shooter and puts on a great match every year. His QD system for bipod legs is top notch. Fairly quick way to go from a prone to sitting capable bipod system.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
For those using the hog saddle or similar system have guys ran into problems with the rifle recoil damaging your tripod? I'm very interested in them (and other similar products) but a touch worried about my tripod, a slik 634, and really don't want to buy another tripod to use just as a rifle rest.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
mzwierM.jpg

I haven't found the recoil of a rifle to damage my tripod at all and its a Velbon with a Manfrotto 494 ball head on it less than 2.5 pounds combined weight. Less than ideal weight to shoot off of but worked for shooting a couple deer in vegetation too tall to get prone at 400+, not real far but I would bring my heavier tripod in the future for shooting further. Certainly is noticeable when I put the rifle on my beefy tripod that its much more stable..

bradb

WKR
I have installed t bolts in most of my stocks and run a direct mount to a RRS leveling head and a feisol 3342.
Yes some kind of rear support still greatly helps. I have shot steel with a light rifle at 800 standing with this set up and a rear stick

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone every try something like the outdoorsmans setup for shooting off the tripod? I really like the rear support, but I like the clamps some have shared more than the rest outdoorsmans offers.

Seeknelk

WKR
I simply picked up another adapter plate for my tripod since I usually pack it anyway for spotter and binos...in fact I think Dan's video helped me out! Thanks! But it allowed me to get solid on a cross canyon bull at 680 from steep, steep side hill in a foot of snow. Itwasnt a super fast set up but I had time...one won't always have time but that's huntin...my tripod is a carbon manfrotto bee free...

netman

WKR
Dan could you list the items of your shooting system? Really nice set up. I have both my rifles dialed in load and range. I am now shooting both in field positions only preparing for this fall. I have killed quite a few coyotes using cross sticks and very comfortable doing so. The sticks are limited. I would like to duplicate your system.
Thanks