Long range rifle caliber for elk and whitetail

renagde

WKR
I shot a 7mm for years, took many whitetails with it. I eventually got tired of the recoil (i don't use a brake) and just picked up a 6.5 creedmoor because they were dirt cheap. Ammo is dirt cheap as well.

If i would hunt elk as much as I hunt whitetail, I would probably lean towards keeping the 7mm or getting a 6.5 PRC. The number's I've been seeing with the 156 berger eol are really impressive and it's only a matter of time until more companies offer factor 6.5 prc loads. Even out of the creedmoor the ballistics look really good.

For me, I went with the the creedmoor because when i hunt elk it's usually with a bow. If i do get the opportunity to go rifle hunting, I'll have to try to close the distance and get within 300 yards. It will however make an excellent deer rifle.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Story about the guy who created the 7mm Rem Mag, his requirements were to have a light recoiling rifle that had enough energy at 500 yards to reliably kill elk.

Video

With elk on the table and longer ranges I like my 300wsm, 7RM, and 300 RUM, which one I take depends on where I’m going and what terrain I expect. If I had to pick one to do it all it’s my 300 wsm

archp625

WKR
What animal do you plan on hunting the most? If you are hunting elk more than deer 300 WM. If you are hunting more deer than elk there are a ton of options for the occasional elk thrown in there.

EmperorMA

WKR
I would go 6.5 Creedmoor or .270 Winchester. Both will work fine.

Choose the 6.5 for the least amount of recoil.

Civilians can't own firearms or ammunition capable of blowing deer in half, trust me I'd have one if I could.
I've seen a deer hit near the last rib with a 50 bmg and a homemade hollow point bullet. I guess technically it wasn't in half because the hide kept the back knees and hooves attached, but it sure looked like the deer was cut in half with a chainsaw. It was impressive enough that I bought a 50, but also impressive enough that I will never shoot a non-groundhog animal with it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Clayniss

FNG
.300 Win Mag
A little overkill for antelope and deer but long range rigs are expensive and I'd rather have a 212 gr eldx than a 140 something 6.5 cal @ 500 yds sorry 6.5 fanboys

Last edited: