Long range thermal for under $3k

Are there any thermal scopes with good detection over 1500 yards for under $3k? Looking for something compact as well. Looking at the Hogster R 35 which is under 8" long and lists a detection range of 1490 yards. Anything better I should look at? My thought is that beyond coyote hunting I could use it to spot deer across canyons early morning. I want something I can use for both if I am going to spend the money.

I had an R35. I don’t think it will do what you want.

Are you looking for an actual weapon sight? Or just a scanner?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How about the Pulsar Thermion XM30 3.5-14x25 Thermal Riflescope.
Features
  • 320x240 resolution
  • 12µ pixel pitch core
  • 1400 yd detection range
  • 8x digital zoom - continuous zoom and stepped zoom
  • Picture in picture digital zoom
  • Built-in recording with sound
  • Stream Vision app connects scope to smart device
  • External power supply adaptable
  • 5 rifle profiles with 50 zero saves
  • 13 variable electronic reticles
  • One-shot zeroing with freeze function
  • Color viewing modes
  • High resolution AMOLED display
  • Stadiametric rangefinder
  • Rock / forest / identification viewing modes
  • Manual / automatic / semi-automatic calibration modes
  • Defective pixel repair feature

ChrisAU

WKR
Idk if there is such a beast, but I'd definitely want a 640 and a somewhat high base mag for that purpose. Most thermals have low base mag for wide FOV - you can't shoot what you can't find, even under 100 yards.

if your going to be coyote hunting you're better off spending an extra $200 & purchase the super hogster. Super has 12 micron versus the 17 micron the R35 has, super hogster has 2.9 base mag vs 2. As far as your question about "good" detection at 1,500 yards thats gonna depend on your definition of good. My super hogster can definitely pick up hot spots at 1 mile but your going to be able to ID anything that far.

OP
MuleyFever
I had an R35. I don’t think it will do what you want.

Are you looking for an actual weapon sight? Or just a scanner?
I am looking at sights so I can use it for shooting coyotes. Also figure if I decided it’s not my cup of tea a sight would be easier to sell.

OP
MuleyFever
if your going to be coyote hunting you're better off spending an extra $200 & purchase the super hogster. Super has 12 micron versus the 17 micron the R35 has, super hogster has 2.9 base mag vs 2. As far as your question about "good" detection at 1,500 yards thats gonna depend on your definition of good. My super hogster can definitely pick up hot spots at 1 mile but your going to be able to ID anything that far.
When I say good detection I mean it will tell me there is definitely an animal out there. Preferably able to tell me it’s likely a deer sized animal and not a coon sized animal. My idea is that if I know there is possibility a deer out there at 1500 yards I can follow up with my spotter.

You can get the Super for less than $3k to your door. I have a Super along with some other quality thermals and don’t see them helping for deer hunting. But who knows buy one and try it. Worse case you sell it and take a small loss on it.

You can get the Super for less than $3k to your door. I have a Super along with some other quality thermals and don’t see them helping for deer hunting. But who knows buy one and try it. Worse case you sell it and take a small loss on it.
any thermal can definitely help in deer hunting in my opinion, scanning fields in the dark prior to walking to the blinds, scanning timber while hunting & many times you'll see deer way sooner than you would in the past, also been very beneficial when glassing open country with binos, switch to thermal and scan same area and you'll be surprised how many animals you've missed with binoculars

any thermal can definitely help in deer hunting in my opinion, scanning fields in the dark prior to walking to the blinds, scanning timber while hunting & many times you'll see deer way sooner than you would in the past, also been very beneficial when glassing open country with binos, switch to thermal and scan same area and you'll be surprised how many animals you've missed with binoculars
We must hunt a lot differently. And who knows maybe you have way better thermals or something. I’ll take my NL’s for use in open country everyday over my Trijicon.

Spend a little more and get an XD50a or XD50S....that will still be $3500-3900. You'll be much happier with the extra magnification.

After that I don't see a point in spending more unless you are stepping up to a Mark II which is $6500.

OP
MuleyFever
Spend a little more and get an XD50a or XD50S....that will still be $3500-3900. You'll be much happier with the extra magnification.

After that I don't see a point in spending more unless you are stepping up to a Mark II which is $6500.
It seems like Pulsar likes to discontinue models.

OP
MuleyFever
Do you know where I can find the best price on the Super?

Last edited: