Long Range Training and Ranges in New England

My deer scouting has led to finding some fresh clear cuts. I quite simply lack the skill to make the longest possible shots in these cuts, which are around 400 yards. My current gun club has a 300 yard range, which in New England, is on the longer end. This year, I'll plan around my handicap, but I want to learn how to shoot at longer ranges that what I'm used to, which is 200 and under.

I know of Ridgeline in northern NH, however, they seem to just be a place to take specific classes that they offer. I'll likely sign up for a class for next year, or if they offer private lessons, even better. However, I need a place to practice on a regular basis. There's also Pemi Fish and Game in NH, which has 600 yards, but they don't have any training options and they also shut the club down up until recently with COVID.

I'm also not currently a handloader. That's going to have to change. Nor do I have a rifle intended to be shot beyond 200-300 yards. If I can see, handle, and shoot different guns, that would be awesome. I'd like to develop some hands on experience before I spend a few thousand either modifying a production rifle or having one custom built.

I currently live in RI and am expecting to hunt in NH. I intend to move to northern NH next year. So, NH is probably my best option. Thanks!

If you have a rimfire, you can use it in the interim. 300 yards is long range for a rimfire. I regularly take my 17 HMR out to 300 yards. I shoot at 100 (its zero), dial for 200 and shoot, dial for 300 and shoot, and work my way back to 100. Repeat over and over under 50 rounds are shot. Much cheaper than using a centerfire and ensures that I "work the process".

You need to know your velocity (use a chronograph). Input the information into a ballistic calculator. Dial the elevation required for the intended distance and hold for wind (if any). Same approach as if using a centerfire and shooting 600 yards. Practicing at 600 yards makes a 400 shot much easier.

I have a friend in TX who never shot past 100 yards. I went shooting with him one day while visiting. He did not have a chronograph so we used the numbers from his boxes of ammo. Had him take a shot at 100 yards (his zero). Looked good so I entered the velocity numbers in Strelok and told him how much elevation to dial for 400 yards. He gave me a surprised look (he thought we'd work up to 400 yards and not go straight to it) and I told him to take the shot when he was ready. His first shot ever past 100 yards rang the steel. The look on his face was utter disbelief. He honestly thought that shooting that "far" was going to much more difficult than it turned out to be.

Your mind is the biggest obstacle to overcome. Then next part is your shooting fundamentals. If they are good, then you should be good (once you have good ballistic data). If your fundamentals need work, then your shooting flaws become more pronounced the further you shoot.

I've taken:

Advanced Combative Carbine - Midrange
Advanced Combative Carbine - CQC
Combative Pistol

and have shot a PRS match at Ridgeline. Take a class at Ridgeline, and then join Pemi.

Ridgeline will teach you how to train. Pemi will give you a place to train. If you want to go to Mass, there's a range in Dartmouth that's about 500 yds, but then you're in Mass (Gross).

The 1100 yd Range up by Ridgeline is Alderbrook. http://www.alderbrooksportsmensassoc.com/

It's a ~3.5 hour drive from Newport to Littleton. If you head up that way, Schilling's has great beer.

Is the 1100 yard range at alder brook always available for use or only certain days and times?

I've taken:

Advanced Combative Carbine - Midrange
Advanced Combative Carbine - CQC
Combative Pistol

and have shot a PRS match at Ridgeline. Take a class at Ridgeline, and then join Pemi.

Ridgeline will teach you how to train. Pemi will give you a place to train. If you want to go to Mass, there's a range in Dartmouth that's about 500 yds, but then you're in Mass (Gross).

The 1100 yd Range up by Ridgeline is Alderbrook. http://www.alderbrooksportsmensassoc.com/

It's a ~3.5 hour drive from Newport to Littleton. If you head up that way, Schilling's has great beer.
Do you have a web link for the Dartmouth Range? Is it private or public?
thanx

OP
C
I was wondering if anyone's going to shoot the 9/11/21 PRS match at Alderbrook, I finished moving to NH and would like to check out PRS.