Long Range?

ST52v

WKR
My plan is to hit the range this weekend and I will let you know how my t3 7mm and burris c4 scope works. I think I can do 400 yds there so I should be able to test it's leggs a little.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Savage weather warrior in 300 winny. Accustock, accutrigger and synthetic stock. You just cannot beat the features for the price and you will have a shooter.

Randy

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
My plan is to hit the range this weekend and I will let you know how my t3 7mm and burris c4 scope works. I think I can do 400 yds there so I should be able to test it's leggs a little.

Please. I would be very interested to hear your report. Is this a new t3?

Shrek

WKR
Savage weather warrior in 7mm rem mag. Great out of the box , American made , change a barrel at home for under $230 , some really nice stock upgrades available and other parts. For under the price of an un installed tikka barrel I can make a long acttion savage into ANY long action or short action caliber right at home. There is nothing wrong with a Tikka but it is plasticy and foreign made and has the least after market support.

Shrek

WKR
And one other thing , all Tikkas come with clips. Clips that are easily lost. Hinged floor plate might come open but you should have some extra ammo anyway. Clips also are known to rattle sometimes also but I don't know if tikkas development this problem ever but..., blind mag will save weight and trouble for a mountain rifle.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard one of my tikka clips rattle or come out, there pretty well designed down there. Only thing that would be nice would be a aluminum clip or something a tad bit stronger.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
But I will say those clips are still pretty strong I've stepped on mine, dropped it and had it go bouncing down a rock face which took about 3 hrs to find it after lol

Whisky

WKR
I can't believe nobody has asked this yet....But what is your rifle budget?

WKR
I'd take gramp's rifle, put a Hart, Lilja, Rock or Pacnor barrel on it, have it bedded, buy a Leupold CDS scope and roll. Since you may not handload, I'd go 30-06, 270, or 280 and in that order. The barrel and smith work should set you back about $600 total. I'm old and sentimental though.

WKR
First I would foam clean that old barrel and just put the Leupold CDS scope on it and see how it does. Would not be surprised if your current rig can't get you to 500 in short order.

Shrek

WKR
I'm not a 270 win fan but 500 yards is definitely within a 270 wins range and one of the finest shooting rifles I ever owned was a tang safety Ruger in 6mm rem. When I got it it shot like a shotgun. Did a bed job , cleaning and load work and it turned into a killing machine. Five shots covered by a dime at 100yds when I could do it and the barrel was clean. The same thing could be in your hands right now and you not know it. If the Ruger isn't bedded and the barrel floated I would do that first. A diy bed job , super duty cleaning , and an aftermarket trigger could be done for for around $100. Marinetex grey , kiwi neutral wax , modeling clay , and a cheap wood chisel set from HD will cover the bedding. Butches bore shine , brush and jig for cleaning and a rifle basix tang safety sear ( 34.88 @ midsouth shooters ). A decent scope and your old Ruger might make you proud. Even if it doesn't become a super accurate rifle it would be a small investment to find out and certainly should shoot better than it does now.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
And one other thing , all Tikkas come with clips. Clips that are easily lost. Hinged floor plate might come open but you should have some extra ammo anyway. Clips also are known to rattle sometimes also but I don't know if tikkas development this problem ever but..., blind mag will save weight and trouble for a mountain rifle.

Whats a clip? Oh you must mean magazine:) Clips are for your hair!

Shrek

WKR
Ryan , don't you have a moose to scout for ? Don't say a dang thing about my spelling but technical terminology you are all over .Lol.
For a scope I would suggest the zeiss conquest 3.5-10x50 with the rapid z 600 retical. Should match well with a 270 win. , $550 from Cameralandny.com. They are a sponsor ? I think.

Last edited:
OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Well thats just it, I'm a bit sentimental about the rifle myself and I feel like I would rather leave it like it is (not switching barrel).

30338- Why do you suggest those calibers when not reloading? Is it simply because of the availability of those rounds or are 300s and 7mags more finicky out of the box?

I'd take gramp's rifle, put a Hart, Lilja, Rock or Pacnor barrel on it, have it bedded, buy a Leupold CDS scope and roll. Since you may not handload, I'd go 30-06, 270, or 280 and in that order. The barrel and smith work should set you back about $600 total. I'm old and sentimental though.

Shrek

WKR
Vitals , I can't speak for 30338 but one reason he is not suggesting you rebarrel it to a magnum chamber is the bolt face doesn't match up. The rest is ammo availability I would think.

WKR
Vitals, My post #30 above is what I would do first. This thread got me to dig out my 1988 Ruger 77 and am going to try some 168 Hybrid bergers in it soon. Make sure action screws are tight, clean the barrel quite well and then run a couple of different kinds of factory ammo in it. If anything groups around an inch, put a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS on it and you can get to 500 quite handily.

If you don't reload, that is why I listed those cartridges in that order for a potential rebarrel. I will say my old 77 used to shoot quite well. Kind of excited to see how it likes the newer bullet offerings.

WKR
So I dug the 77 7mm Remington Magnum that I have owned for 25 years and dusted it off. Loaded up 69.5 grains of h1000, 168 berger hybrids, cci mag primers and new Hornady brass. First five shots went into .9 inch and are exactly 1.5 inches high at 100. Next 5 went into 1.1 inch and exactly overlapped first group. So 10 rounds in 1.1 inch at 2,886 feet per second. That with 2 different seating depths. The scope is an old Leupold vari-x ii 3-9. I could have saved a lot of money just shooting that rifle over the years. Need to carry it this fall some and maybe get a turret on that scope.