Long shot/Odd ball tags

Joshk358

FNG
Just curious what long shot or odd ball tags you put in for every year? I apply for Maine moose (drew back in 2013), Ky elk, South Dakota bison(Custer SP).

bobinmi

WKR
Michigan elk. I'm maxed out on points but that doesn't really mean anything. I wish I would have started putting in for bear at the same time because I would have already drawn the unit I want.

The most oddball tag I put in for is the Sambar deer hunt in Florida that is primitive weapons only. I have put in 4x and never drawn. A friend of mine put in for the hunt a few years ago and drew it. He had a great time, missed 3 different stags with his bow. The island is boat accessible only and the hunt is primitive weapons only.

Other that, things like Kentucky Elk and Maine Moose are always applied for. Just my yearly donation to those G&F departments.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Michigan elk. I'm maxed out on points but that doesn't really mean anything. I wish I would have started putting in for bear at the same time because I would have already drawn the unit I want.
I've known two who got tags. And others who put have put in for decades with nothing.
My neighbor has land in Atlanta, his trail cam is littered with huge elk and he can't do anything about it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been putting in for CO archery moose, sheep, and goat for some time, and finally drew moose and sheep last year in the same year. Goat will continue. And of course NM Gila elk tags, but I didn't this year just because my September will be full even without that.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have unsuccessfully applied for Michigan elk for 18 years....the tag I covet the most.
Maine Moose, NM Ibex/Oryx, NH Moose, PA Elk.

I noticed that VT Moose above, gonna have to add that one also.

mlgc20

WKR
I really don't do long shot draws. Just not my thing. I view them largely like I view buying lottery tickets. Just a form of voluntary taxation. I wonder how many folks are applying for these draws and not realizing how long the odds really are. I doubt that's the case for most Roksliders. But, I'd guess a lot of folks don't realize they are essentially donating their money. There is an antelope hunt I was interested in. It gets ~400 applicants for 1 NR tag. I wonder how many of the 400 knew what a long shot that really was when they applied. Elk hunting in Kentucky sounds pretty cool though.

Seems like I can never draw a deer, elk, or antelope tag in Idaho. I imagine the moose odds will plummet in the near future with everyone moving to Idaho.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04