Long Shot Tag NM 2C Mule Deer

bdud14

FNG
Been applying in NM for years and did well this year. Due to other hunts I had scheduled I only applied for super premium units for Mule deer and lo and behold I drew the 2C archery hunt in January. Still can't believe number got pulled there.

Never been in the area and wondering if anyone here has hunted the unit during that season and if they can point me in the right direction from a scouting standpoint.

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Ccoggin

FNG
I have never hunted the unit, but I also drew 2C this year. I put in through an outfitter and from what they have told me, be prepared to shoot up to 80yds because of difficult stalks and not much cover. I will be there Jan 1st-7th, so hopefully I can punch my tag.

dl662002

FNG
I have never hunted the unit, but I also drew 2C this year. I put in through an outfitter and from what they have told me, be prepared to shoot up to 80yds because of difficult stalks and not much cover. I will be there Jan 1st-7th, so hopefully I can punch my tag.
I got lucky and drew this tag for this coming January. I've done quit a bit of research but was wondering if you might be willing to share any insight on the hunt or your experience down there this year. If not I completely understand.

Ccoggin

FNG
I got lucky and drew this tag for this coming January. I've done quit a bit of research but was wondering if you might be willing to share any insight on the hunt or your experience down there this year. If not I completely understand.
Congrats on the draw, but yea I'll tell you all you want to know from my experience.

dl662002

FNG
Congrats on the draw, but yea I'll tell you all you want to know from my experience.
Since I'm a newbie I can't send any private messages yet. I'll try and get that figured out. If you send me with another message with a good email I will reach out if that's ok?

Ccoggin

FNG
Al
Since I'm a newbie I can't send any private messages yet. I'll try and get that figured out. If you send me with another message with a good email I will reach out if that's ok?
Alright I sent you another message.

I drew New Mexico 2C Mule Deer this year (2022), I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss your hunt experience in the unit last year.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag….. You sucker…. You drew mine.

That’s a tag you may never draw again. You might consider an outfitter, if that’s an option. There’s a few giants that come out of there. Good luck and send us a report

There’s been some giants taken out of there for sure! It’s been 22 years since I had any unit 2 deer tag. I miss the days when I could buy an otc tag and pick which hunt date I wanted.

I’ll be out there too.

If you want shoot me a message. Depending on the moisture, the roads can be super slick. It’s nice to have a few numbers out there in case you need to be pulled out!

Invest in mud terrains. Access up there in January is downright NASTY. Deep ruts and caliche everywhere. My boys had that tag last year and it was fun. Complete circus $hitshow, but fun!

I agree with the tough stalks assessment - won't put in for that for my sons until they're capable of 60 yd+ shots.

Wapiti1

WKR
I pulled one of the 2C January archery tags, but did it in the guided pool with Compass West. Talking with Chris, 40-75 yard shots are the norm.

Gonna be fun, but damn it's a long wait to January 2023. Good luck!

Jeremy

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Drew the archery tag for the hunt in 2019, was quite a bit of snow most of the first week. If you get snow, make sure to have chains. And hope for non crunchy snow, or wait to midday to have it melt some. I spent most of my time in the SE-E part of the unit, lots of cow elk. Decent number of deer, bucks were still with does. Never had a guided hunt, but if I had the money & could do it again, I would go with a guide.