Long term hunt plans next 10 years

I've been a whitetail hunter my whole life, up until my first elk trip in 2016. Now, I am bitten by the western hunting bug and want to go on as many adventures as possible. I recently put together my 10 year list/goals of hunts. They are as follows.

2018- OTC archery elk in Colorado, Kentucky elk (highly unlikely to draw but will be part of my plans every year due to random chance)
2019- Blacktail deer in Alaska (deposit is paid, dad and I are going in Oct!)
2020- OTC archery elk in Colorado or OTC Arizona mule deer archery, can't swing both but will probably flip a coin to decide
2021- Spring bear in Montana, Either OTC archery elk in Colorado or OTC Arizona Mule Deer (depends on which one I do the year before)
2022- Haul road/fly-in Caribou hunt!
2023- OTC archery elk Colorado
2024- Unlimited OTC sheep in Montana? Always wanted to hunt sheep, this will probably be the only way I can do it.
2025- Spring bear/fishing in Alaska
2026- Draw elk in Colorado (will have 10pp by then, we will see what that gets me)
2027- High country mule deer hunt Colorado (should have enough points by then, depends on creep)
2028- Fly-in Moose hunt Alaska

As you can see I have a pretty set plan on elk hunting every other year, and trying to swing Alaska every 3 years. Point creep and random draws (Kentucky elk and may start throwing in for New Mexico elk) could alter plans somewhat every year. I will also continue to pursue whitetails in my home state and make some trips to Kentucky, Virginia and Missouri over the years for whitetails. Spreading out Alaska trips every 3 years gives me plenty of time to save money and still do other hunts in between and not have to eat PB&J every night! Planning out my hunts long term like this has helped me set up a good savings plan. I'm a regular Joe with a regular job so money is not infinite!

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Love it. I have operated under a 3, 6, 10, and 20 year plan for the last several years. For example, some of the Idaho and New Mexico hunts I apply for are in the 5-10% range and I only anticipate drawing them once or twice every couple decades. Other hunts I can schedule OTC (e.g., CO elk archery, MT general, spring bear seasons) just get shuffled around to accommodate dumb luck drawings or when I cash out points on a species. That hangs front and center in my office and really keeps the wheels turning at all times.

I need better plans!!
I was all set to take my dad archery elk in Montana this year we work schedule messed that up
2018 Michigan and Illinois whitetail
2019 Wyoming elk along with the whitetail
2020 would like to hunt pronghorn sometime soon maybe here or elk if we don’t decide to save points though about trying to bow hunt the Missouri River breaks someday

Keep repeating with a mule deer hunt thrown in while applying for New Mexico and building points for Arizona elk is my plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobs117

FNG
Nice plan! This will be my first year bow hunting. I have a 5 year plan in place to go out west also! I love the purpose it adds to what I’m doing daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Kentucky for whitetails?? Didn't you hear about all the deer in Ky? They all got the flu and died...they are extinct and won't ever be seen in Ky again. Id go to Indiana or Ohio, I hear there are some survivors over there.

OP
T
Kentucky for whitetails?? Didn't you hear about all the deer in Ky? They all got the flu and died...they are extinct and won't ever be seen in Ky again. Id go to Indiana or Ohio, I hear there are some survivors over there.

I know there are no deer in Kentucky, I just prefer the scenery there over other states!