Long-term planning and building up backcountry gear

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. I was looking through my class registration as a junior undergrad in college and I realized that I don't actually have that much time left before I graduate, and one of the things I really wanted to do right after graduation was to go chase some elk out west. I've got about a year and a half before that time comes, and I don't want to procrastinate on this and miss out or, worse, rush it and have a really bad time. So with that being said, I'm just trying to make a thread where I can kind of brainstorm like I'm thinking out loud on how I can budget this thing and get your guys' opinions on where I should be spending, where I can save, and stuff that I'm forgetting.

First off, I'm getting back into whitetail hunting. I am on medical leave of absence from school right now, and I can't really do much, but I am planning on buying a frame for around $250 that I can strap a duffel bag or similar to haul my saddle gear and pack out a whitetail. Gonna keep an eye out for used frames in my size in that price range, and if that doesn't pan out, wait for a discount and snag a duplex light. I think I can wait to buy glass until the summer before my trip, probably a Maven C1 10x42. I already have an amount of backpacking gear- stove, sleeping pad, tent, etc. Gonna need to put in some miles on my final pack system and boots in the year leading up to the trip, and boots are where I'm kind of stuck. I'm not in great shape right now, but I will be in good shape by the middle of the spring semester, and great shape by the end. I have shot out knees, though, so that's something I'm looking into.

Please feel free to shoot out anything that comes to mind: gear I've forgotten, cheapest states for meat hunts, calling me stupid, etc. I will prob add a lot to this thread if there's any engagement, otherwise I'll keep it to a spreadsheet.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and watched the GoHunt and Randy Newberg's videos on the draw process in western states. I prioritized 3 states with a short, medium, and long term plan for species and animals that I would like to hunt. IMO I would prioritize getting/staying in shape and putting my budget into tags vs chasing the "best" gear to start out with. This year, my elk hunting group had packs ranging from the Amazon basics pack to Stone Glacier, everyone seemed to do just fine, although I was more comfortable with my SG pack.

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and watched the GoHunt and Randy Newberg's videos on the draw process in western states. I prioritized 3 states with a short, medium, and long term plan for species and animals that I would like to hunt. IMO I would prioritize getting/staying in shape and putting my budget into tags vs chasing the "best" gear to start out with. This year, my elk hunting group had packs ranging from the Amazon basics pack to Stone Glacier, everyone seemed to do just fine, although I was more comfortable with my SG pack.
So do you think OTC is not the way to go?

I think you're on the right track.

I will say boots are very personal. It's all about fit. You'd rather go on a good weather elk hunt in tennis shoes you like than $400 boots that don't fit you.

Other times, picking up used is a good idea.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
So do you think OTC is not the way to go?

That's always an option and would allow you to hunt an area year after year. I am currently on a strategy of having lower point (0-3) or midrange (4-7) points in a few states. I can hopefully hunt some units every other year and get to learn the area. I wish I had built up some points prior to the year I started hunting out west. As of this next year's draw cycles, I'll have a few options of different hunts I can choose from.

cgasner1

WKR
To be efficient I’d get a membership to something along the line of gohunt or epic outdoors and start reading about all the state. I’d do that soon so you fully understand every state you are applying for and how the draws actually work every stare is different. As far as the gear you can have a great elk hunt truck camping and using the gear you have don’t get caught up in being 5 miles in you’ll hike past a lot of elk. I look at my points as a 401k plan if you don’t understand and know what your doing with them your in for a bad time and long wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For boots, the last 3 years I’ve been using Irish Setter Elk Tracker 800g. I wear them elk hunting in Co, and I sit in a tree stand in MN for whitetail. They’ve been great. My feet have literally never been wet or cold in them. And they’re really comfortable. Who knows if they’ll last 10 years, but I’d buy them again in a heartbeat. And they’re under $200

I just got out of college a couple years ago so I was in a similar situation to you. I grew up whitetail hunting so I had all the clothing I needed to stay warm out west. But I have found that whitetail gear generally doesn’t work well for elk hunting. At least mine doesn’t. It’s just so heavy. It keeps you warm, but elk hunting is a much more active thing than whitetail hunting. The last few years I’ve found that when I have to walk upwards of a half mile that I’ve been taking off my bibs and coat and strapping them to my pack. So over the next year or two I’m going to be investing in some lighter stuff for out west.
But buy the stuff you don’t have first. Bulky clothing might not be the most comfortable, but it does work if that’s what you have.

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
I just got out of college a couple years ago so I was in a similar situation to you. I grew up whitetail hunting so I had all the clothing I needed to stay warm out west. But I have found that whitetail gear generally doesn’t work well for elk hunting. At least mine doesn’t. It’s just so heavy. It keeps you warm, but elk hunting is a much more active thing than whitetail hunting. The last few years I’ve found that when I have to walk upwards of a half mile that I’ve been taking off my bibs and coat and strapping them to my pack. So over the next year or two I’m going to be investing in some lighter stuff for out west.
But buy the stuff you don’t have first. Bulky clothing might not be the most comfortable, but it does work if that’s what you have.
One thing I have going for me is that my body temps run hot, so I stay warm really easily. I don't even have heavy clothing for whitetails simply because I'd overheat.

I should also mention that I don't have a truck, and I probably won't have a truck for a while. I'm not planning on doing any crazy montana mud runs, so I think I can make a sedan work. And I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but my effective range on elk-sized quarry is only about 35 yards, although I will definitely start practicing out to 40, 45 yards. Not going to push it much further than that with a recurve.

One thing I have going for me is that my body temps run hot, so I stay warm really easily. I don't even have heavy clothing for whitetails simply because I'd overheat.

I should also mention that I don't have a truck, and I probably won't have a truck for a while. I'm not planning on doing any crazy montana mud runs, so I think I can make a sedan work. And I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but my effective range on elk-sized quarry is only about 35 yards, although I will definitely start practicing out to 40, 45 yards. Not going to push it much further than that with a recurve.
A September archery hunt should definitely make the clothing aspect easier.
As far as the vehicle, I’m sure you’d be fine. Where we but. You can take a car to the trailhead when there’s no snow.
You could always call the local game warden once you have an area picked out and ask them about the road to the trailhead

With this, I would say your sedan will work just fine to start. In short, you are setting up for quite a challenge and should have little trepidation of where to carry quarters. As an ardent fan of Camus I appreciate a Sisyphean adventure to the hilt and in no way would dissuade you but I think it helps to keep expectations in order. Can you laugh while the rock rolls back down the hill?

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
With this, I would say your sedan will work just fine to start. In short, you are setting up for quite a challenge and should have little trepidation of where to carry quarters. As an ardent fan of Camus I appreciate a Sisyphean adventure to the hilt and in no way would dissuade you but I think it helps to keep expectations in order. Can you laugh while the rock rolls back down the hill?
My expectations are rock bottom. I'm basically expecting to spend a week backpacking around Colorado public land, which is something I'd do for fun anyways, and hopefully I get to see some elk. On the off chance I can get inside of 40, I'm confident in my shooting.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
For boots, the last 3 years I’ve been using Irish Setter Elk Tracker 800g. I wear them elk hunting in Co, and I sit in a tree stand in MN for whitetail. They’ve been great. My feet have literally never been wet or cold in them. And they’re really comfortable. Who knows if they’ll last 10 years, but I’d buy them again in a heartbeat. And they’re under $200

That's pretty awesome your feet stay warm in MN with those. Mine get cold wearing my alphaburly pros or mukluks in MN if I don't run toe warmers.

For out west or any hiking trips I run Lowa Tibet's with superfeet green insoles and love them. Got them off of Camofire.

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty awesome your feet stay warm in MN with those. Mine get cold wearing my alphaburly pros or mukluks in MN if I don't run toe warmers.

For out west or any hiking trips I run Lowa Tibet's with superfeet green insoles and love them. Got them off of Camofire.
I've been checking camofire daily, if I see a decent pair of boots in size ten I might just snag them early.

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Have been looking more into the tactics of actually finding elk, and I realized that I know next to nothing about the viability of elk calling. I can tell that it's more important for elk than for whitetail, but how much more? Is it highly recommended for me to learn to call, and what calls for archery season? Or would it be better to get a hunt or two under my belt before I try to call anything?

I'd steer clear of cheap boots for sure and just spend the $300+ for a great pair. The steep in the elkwoods will let you know right away whether going up, down or sidehilling when wearing inferior boots. You will not have a good experience if your boots arent up for the challenge.

sterlryu

FNG
Lightweight backcountry camp chair (like helinox, but the generic ones are mostly fine too) will change your life glassing or just hanging out in camp. Hiking poles for the pack out. Also you'll almost live in the bino harness so make sure it doesn't slap you in the face every time you tie your boot laces. Also, if you're solo, definitely get a PLB like a garmin inreach mini or spot - hunting takes you off trail into rugged remote terrain away from people - an experienced solo hunter / firefighter died in WA elk hunting this year.

That's just off the top of my head - there are some great pack dump videos on youtube.

OP
Insomnia

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Lightweight backcountry camp chair (like helinox, but the generic ones are mostly fine too) will change your life glassing or just hanging out in camp. Hiking poles for the pack out. Also you'll almost live in the bino harness so make sure it doesn't slap you in the face every time you tie your boot laces. Also, if you're solo, definitely get a PLB like a garmin inreach mini or spot - hunting takes you off trail into rugged remote terrain away from people - an experienced solo hunter / firefighter died in WA elk hunting this year.

That's just off the top of my head - there are some great pack dump videos on youtube.
Started to look into bino harnesses last night, will add the camp chair to the list. I have a couple of those cheap folding tripod stools, one of those might be enough but I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Marble

WKR
Get OTC tags and learn how to hunt elk.

Put in for points where you need to and eventually you'll get a good tag and have a better chance at success.

As far as gear goes, the best way to learn is to go back packing. You'll add and subtract stuff and fine tune your system.

You will never be done with gear. You will always bring crap you don't need and forget stuff you do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk