Long Term Review: Schnees Timberline

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
The process of fitting a product to something as unique as a set of human feet is a real challenge. So it should be acknowledged that the few boot brands that earn a consensus of support in the hunting community have done so by cultivating reputations for consistent quality, proven durability, and pleasant-to-navigate customer service or product support. Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa, Lathrop and Schnees, and a handful of others have all found some permutation of a winning boot recipe. Having experienced a considerable range of footwear-related maladies, I decided it was time to find a proper pair of shit-kickers.

Now, I feel compelled to say that I'm still not convinced that boot-brand loyalty is solely due to fit, and while I'd like to think I'm pragmatic in my product selection, the ecosystem of online purchasing ensures that other forces at play in the decision. Nevermind that the cost of buying and testing boots enough to give a significant-other an aneurysm.

I think it'd be fair to characterize my Backcountry philosophy as pseudo-minimalistic. Having hiked whole Summers in trail-runners and resisted heavy boots on the idea that baked-in support would give my arches and ankles too much time off. It wasn't until I actually started killing stuff in the backcountry that I realized how badly I needed something waterproof and capable of supporting my feet for longggg heavy pack-outs, but I still wanted a somewhat flexible boot that would be fast, light and quiet, if that were possible.

IMG_1628 (1).jpg
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1626.jpg

In late 2018 Schnees introduced their new timberline boot, a spartan iteration of their legendary Beartooth wrought from techy, lightweight materials for the folks who go fast and go far. Thinking they'd fit the bill, I got a pair that summer, well in advance of archery season so as to have enough time to break them in. Right out of the box I applied Kenetrek Wax. I was shocked to notice that one line of the double stitching that fastened the upper to the collars was beginning to pull away. My best guess was that in the pursuit of the timberline's signature light-weight, the inner vamp had been cut just a little too small. I happened to be going to Montana in the next couple weeks, so I threw them back in the box and stopped by their Bozeman store to ask the pros what I should do, or If I could exchange them. They proved to be a popular item over the summer and as such were sold out, so an exchange was out - at least if I were to be able to have them heading into the elk woods. We agreed that singeing the stitches in the concerned area would at least buy me some time. I laced them up and proceeded with break-in with the reassurance that if the issue persisted I could repair or replace them.

IMG_1629.jpg

On first impression the Timberline's were perfect. Insanely comfortable, light and breathable to boot! Just a couple weeks later on a Friday night, I donned my pack, lifted my bow and it was Elk season. Almost immediately all of the outermost stitching of the double-stitch lines began to come apart. Teased out by light brush and mellow walking it left the upper to curl outward. Not the direction I hoped to take, and certainly not so early in what would be a particularly high-mileage hunting season. Worried, I called Schnees' once more and talked to the owners, they reassured me that I could continue my hunt and we would deal with the rest later, so gratefully I continued to lace them up, morning after dewy morning.

Despite their seasons-old appearance, my feet never screamed at me to take the Timberlines off - even after consecutive 8-15 mile days and they were a pleasure to put on every morning. They managed moisture beautifully, modulated temperature though the manic weather September and October in the high-desert and maintained the nimble feeling I had hoped they would. Before the hunting season, I had noted that the lace-locker left a little to be desired, after a few days it became a clear weakness in an otherwise wonderful boot. I found myself really having to wrench on the laces to get them tight around my forefoot and introduced a hockey-style twist before running the laces through the upper hooks to ensure adequate zonal tension. I finished that first season having logged a TON of miles and several very-heavy pack-outs, and the boots performed admirably. From the rand to the cuff, everything but the single line of stitching remained in-tact and with the exception of trading up to some custom footbeds, they seemed ready for another season.

Fast-forward through the end of the 2019 hunting season and the Timberline has remained my go-to boot for any hauls longer than a couple of hours, and in total, they have held up remarkably well, with only one other failure related to the heel cinch design. Ultimately, this resulted in the kind people at Schnees sending out a fresh replacement, for which I am very grateful. Given the use that these boots have seen, I don't believe that sort of failure is at all unreasonable, but I do think it could be avoided if they spec'd a heel-locker that allowed for better tightening or perhaps by employing a little different lace geometry.

By my reckoning, these are still an amazing pair of boots. They're perfect for early to mid-season hunting in mild to moderate terrain, or for hunters who prefer more active flexion to the stair-stepping style of a stiffer boot. Properly maintained, they are plenty durable and reliably waterproof, just take the time to get them tight in the morning, dry them properly in the evening and they'll serve you well all day every day for months on end.

TL;DR: Schnees Timberline: An almost-perfect, Lightweight 3-Season Hunting Boot.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1628 (1).jpg
    IMG_1628 (1).jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for the review. When you said that they "managed moisture beautifully," does that mean they were average to above average in that category? Did you find yourself having to change socks less or the same?

Does your new pair have the sympatex membrane? I am interested in how waterproof and how breathable it is compared to other membranes.

OP
TristanJH

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
does that mean they were average to above average in that category? Did you find yourself having to change socks less or the same?

I was anticipating that it would be worse than boots that imploy nylon in the upper and they were the same, if not a little better, but not having experience with other full-leather + membrane uppers, I can't properly say, but, if anything, I probably change my socks less.