Longbow Build

I built another longbow. I used hickory again but this time I glued on a rawhide backing. I made the backing from my ‘19 whitetail. When I started this I wanted to work on two main things; dialing in tiller and trying more of a recurve style handle. My next bow is gonna be flipped tips or recurve and I think tillering those will be a little trickier. I’ve made quite a few glass recurves and longbows but all my wood bows were straight limbs like this, but hey you can always get better especially if you’re intentional…
I made a video of the build, and finally learned how to embed lol. Here it is, check it out.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
DA0D35FD-2AED-403D-A72D-4E4C85026A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
C
Here’s some more pictures I think the last one took up too much space.

Attachments

• 1618C38A-3906-4CC4-B86E-81A456703EBA.jpeg
    1618C38A-3906-4CC4-B86E-81A456703EBA.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
C
I put up a follow up video that focuses just on the rawhide backing portion of the build. You can check it out here if you're interested.

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have pics of it on the tiller tree? Looks mostly good but something a pinch off is catching my eye although I can’t put my finger on it…something in the top limb. could just be the angle of the photo.

What weight did it come in at?

I haven’t made any in a decade or better. Used to turn out a lot of Reflex/Deflex BBO’s. Never did do a recurve or glass bows.

OP
C
Do you have pics of it on the tiller tree? Looks mostly good but something a pinch off is catching my eye although I can’t put my finger on it…something in the top limb. could just be the angle of the photo.

What weight did it come in at?

I haven’t made any in a decade or better. Used to turn out a lot of Reflex/Deflex BBO’s. Never did do a recurve or glass bows.
I know what you're talking about. Top limb right at the taper. Drove me nuts. Obessed about it for awhile. In the end it bent to the same horizontal line at the tips and followed the same trajectory through the limbs. I edited this a couple weeks ago, so I can't remember if I showed final bending. I'll check it out in a bit and see. I had this back to full length with the long tillering string on it, before I backed it and I just didn't feel right. It felt like it stacked too much, which is why I ended up backing. Much more smooth after backing. The part where I'm outside on the porch shows the goofy grain pattern probably from a knot, which was what was giving me trouble. Later this week, probably Friday, I'm putting out another video that just focuses on tillering. That has alot more video of the bending.

It ended up 55lbs@28"

I had been big into building about 10 years ago, then I re-tillered one last winter to drop weight. I was only gonna do one more so I could kill a deer with all homemade equipment. Since then, I've been down a building rabbit hole with knives and bows...Got a couple things to tie up before hunting season, but after the season is over I'm gonna get after the wood recurves.

Thanks for watching