Longbow Creek Reunion

OP
Kevin Dill
Much appreciated. You know, one of the neatest things about this kill was the sharing of it. 2 guys setting a trap. 2 guys making absolute kill shots with conventional bows. 2 guys sharing the work. 2 guys sharing all the wonderful meat. I told Jeff this is the first bull I've ever killed with a hunting partner present. I was alone for all the others. It was particularly fine to compare what we saw, heard, felt and thought about the kill. Walking up to our bull together was definitely a moment I'm sure neither of us will forget.

VernAK

WKR
Well done Kevin!

It's not easy to fully describe the thrill of calling an adult bull in close but you did well.

The 45-70 is a great piece of gear for bow hunters especially but we've taken to bringing a long range rifle also because of the proliferation of wolves.

OP
Kevin Dill
Well done Kevin!

It's not easy to fully describe the thrill of calling an adult bull in close but you did well.

The 45-70 is a great piece of gear for bow hunters especially but we've taken to bringing a long range rifle also because of the proliferation of wolves.
Thanks my friend. For me there's just nothing like having one of those big horny bulls all riled up and ornery while he's in longbow range.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin ... Thanks for sharing. What a great story and pictures of your adventure.

My first Moose hunt has been cancelled twice in last 2 years so I am living/hunting/adventuring vicariously through your hunt. Hopefully 2022 I will get it done on my Moose hunt.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Kevin! Somehow I had not seen your story until today. As others have said - as always a great story very well told. Great job my friend.

Terry and I had to cut our hunt short also because of the same weather forecast this year. Over two feet of snow was predicted for our AO so it was time to retreat.

Awesome bull with fantastic fronts and character! A few years ago we got one with gnarly character and drop tines. He had two badly broken ribs that had only partially and poorly healed from a fight the prior year. By any chance did your character bull have any old injuries that you noticed while butchering?

OP
Kevin Dill
John,

Thanks buddy. I was in our hotel with Jeff when Terry called and was able to catch most of the details. Sounded like a real adventure over in your neck of the woods.

Great question regarding antlers and injuries. The only thing I noticed on this bull was some sort of largish skin knot or lesion on the upper front leg. It was about the size of a biscuit and probably stuck out a couple inches. I attributed it to some type of penetrating injury. The 'thing' was confined to the skin however and there was no evidence of it beneath after skinning.

The only real unusual thing on my bull's antlers was the ridge running full-length of the paddle and terminating in a point.

Attachments

• IMG_2361.png
    IMG_2361.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
OP
Kevin Dill
freakin legendary! Better than any book I ever read...
Coming from a real author....quite a compliment. Not sure I deserve that, but much thanks.

The truth is I've been a critical reader of outdoor books all my life. Some writers just have that....way....of getting someone immersed in their story and almost being there with them. I always loved that type of writing and recognized how cool it was when I found it. I've said several times I'm no learned author, but that doesn't stop me from trying to incorporate some of the aspects of those great storytellers from my youth and earlier years. If I can do just enough of it to get a guy lost somewhere on a moose hunt or other adventure....then I'm happy about it!

Kevin, you're writing is captivating, entertaining and relatable. I had been looking for a write-up of your moose hunt from this year and am glad that I finally found it. I anxiously read your story and enjoyed every word, able to picture what you were experiencing and seeing like I was there. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

VernAK

WKR
Hey Kevin! Somehow I had not seen your story until today. As others have said - as always a great story very well told. Great job my friend.

Terry and I had to cut our hunt short also because of the same weather forecast this year. Over two feet of snow was predicted for our AO so it was time to retreat.

Awesome bull with fantastic fronts and character! A few years ago we got one with gnarly character and drop tines. He had two badly broken ribs that had only partially and poorly healed from a fight the prior year. By any chance did your character bull have any old injuries that you noticed while butchering?

While my shoulder and hand were recovering, I avoided my annual moose hunt and stayed home to hunt geese and cranes. That early snow ruined our hunting as grain fields were covered with a foot of snow. It sure made for a poor bird year and Mother Nature has been adding to snow depth regularly and this AM I have -30F. But this storm was no match for 9/11/92 when the winds went to 60mph followed by -20F.

Over the years I've encountered several moose and caribou with old wounds. A caribou bull with a patch of hide torn off his butt with obvious grizzly claw marks. My dentist partner was caping a big bull and complaining about stench while mentioning he must have an abscessed tooth. I could see an obvious set of tooth imprints where a grizzly had bitten down on the muzzle. I shot a 60" bull in mid-season that had an obvious velvet lined bullet hole in one antler. He was many miles from humans except for John and Kevin and they are bow hunters. WTH?

OP
Kevin Dill
I shot a 60" bull in mid-season that had an obvious velvet lined bullet hole in one antler. He was many miles from humans except for John and Kevin and they are bow hunters. WTH?

.50 cal aircraft? 🤣l

How am I just now seeing this?! Amazing write up as always, Kevin!... and an amazing hunt!

"Don't be a dreamer. If you want it, go get it. Alaska is still big, still beautiful, and still wild."

That right there rings home for me. We made it happen a little over a year ago and now I find myself heading back in less than 9 months.

OP
Kevin Dill
January. Since getting back from Alaska I've had considerable pain in my right knee every day. It's definitely a meniscus tear and also damage to the MCL. I've gotten 3 opinions on what to do and all of them say surgery is the best course of action. 5 days to go until that happens. Unfortunately I've been warned the meniscus (medial) may have enough damage that it needs totally removed. That would not be good for my future hunting and especially the ability to pack heavy loads. Losing a meniscus can affect joint stability and hasten wear. The MCL tear will be evaluated and probably left alone, as it's not completely torn. I'll know the answers when I wake up. Right now the main thing is to get the pain GONE. We'll see where it goes from there.

I've long been a user of good Lacrosse rubber boots on my moose hunts. I never worried about the ankle support thing, and never had any issues. However, I've come to learn that poor ankle support (boots) likely put knees at much greater risk. I'm studying this, and I'm also considering a totally different type of boot for next season....assuming Covid, politicians, and my knee all agree to let me hunt again.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You’ll hunt moose again Kevin, period. Hope surgery is a success and they get things cleaned up and you can get on with rehab.