Longbow Creek Reunion

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Kevin, I've had two surgeries on one knee and one on the other. Similar problems it sounds like to what you are experiencing. While admittedly quite a bit younger than I am now, I killed a nice bull back in the late '80's 18 days after getting a torn meniscus mostly removed. You will be fine, just a bit slower. Welcome to the "approaching-geezerhood" crowd.

OP
Kevin Dill
I appreciate the encouragement. I've lived all my adult life avoiding unnecessary attention from physicians. No surgeries since age 13. I think the last time I had blood drawn for lab studies was over 20 years ago. I try to live pretty healthy and not fall victim to the idea of needing seen for every little thing. My lab work from 2 days ago was perfect. My ekg was perfect. I have every intention of living actively until I get called home to join family and dogs. I'm not even close to ready to shuck my pack and set the longbow aside.

All that said, when I can't carry my own water out on a hunt....that's gonna be time for a reckoning. I'll be anxious (and worried some) to see how my knee heals and feels going forward.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on your hunt, and another well written story. I have enjoyed all your stories on here, they all capture the essence of hunting. If you ever happened to publish a book about your hunts, I know it would have a place on my bookshelf.

I just read every word. So cool. When I was 8yrs old I read a moose hunt story in Traditional Bowhunter magazine and knew I had to do it some day. 32yrs later, my day comes next year for my first experience and “try” and taking a moose with my recurve or longbow. Stories like yours propel my desire. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I just read every word. So cool. When I was 8yrs old I read a moose hunt story in Traditional Bowhunter magazine and knew I had to do it some day. 32yrs later, my day comes next year for my first experience and “try” and taking a moose with my recurve or longbow. Stories like yours propel my desire. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks for bring this one back up, it is appreciated!
There we’re any good moose threads last year, by a lot of good people, this was without question my favorite recounting.

I‘m not making it back to AK this year, I will be living vicariously through threads like this one until returning to chase them bulls again in 2023.

Kevin,
I wish I had your ability to recount an adventure in words.