Longbow or recurve?

OP
D

Dryfirepete

Thanks again, guys! You gave me lots of valuable insight and a lot to think about and consider!

Beendare

Dryfire,
If my posts convey a negative attitude towards Longbows, thatis not my intent. One thing not mentioned; longbows are almost silent.

They are an amazing weapon…and when they become an extension of your arm as with the guys that shoot them well……its a beautiful thing.

mthompson3300

personel preference i shoot both recurve and longbow like the both would problaby prefer recurve alittle bit more though

TradArcher

I shoot both. Love both but love my longbow more. What am I more accurate with? Depends on which bow I've been shooting more lately.

Find a shop/club/shoot and go shoot/try a bunch of different tradbows....find out what you fall in love with and go shoot that.

Following your heart is always easier (and much more rewarding) than following anybody else's theory.

GLB

Even though I shoot both, I much prefer the longbow. To be more specific the mild reflex deflex LB that is D shaped when strung. Me being different than most the recurves are harder to shoot for me and I definitely shoot the LB much better under stress.

The RC will usually have a performance advantage and comes in a smaller package and most will prefer them over the LB. However you never know until you spend some time with them both.

Where's Bruce?

Some amateur thoughts. Doesn't matter if your bow breaks down or not...when hunting it's still a big azz stick.

screen.jpg

When hunting you want the bow you shoot best in your hands, with sufficient DW and an arrow heavy enough for a pass thru. Accuracy and performance = ethics. You get far fewer shot opportunities with a stickbow than you do with a compound.

Sometimes you choose the bow, sometimes the bow chooses you. The latter is better IMHO. Regardless what you end up with, shoot it a lot, every day. It's not like shooting a CB, especially for hunting. You cannot rely on anything but your ability to become one with the bow. For it to become an extension of your body. That only happens after taking thousands of shots.

jog

There is only one way to know what you like and thats to find out 1st hand. However, life is too short to hunt with ugly equipment.
I prefer 1950's styling, smaller mass risers, and low string angle at full draw. Quiet at the shot. Here is my Toelke SS, "Elkmaster".

CF5189CC-B40B-4BCB-9D83-12DFCE11D154.jpeg

Proof
2116832C-AF0D-482F-B5A5-91A53F741E28.jpeg