Longbow or recurve?

Beendare

WKR
That‘s why I just wanted to get an idea why anybody who actually hunted with both kind of bows would decide for one or the other. I‘m pretty set on a Stalker Wolverine (will definitely go the take down-route), just don‘t want to spend the money on two sets of limbs.

FWIW,
I

Last edited:
Idk if the Olympic analogy comes into play here. Punching paper w light arrows at long distances and shooting heavy arrows close range at animals are 2 dif things. Some of the best shooters in the world are longbow guys.
Fred Bear God bless him was a businessman. If recurves were cutting edge and that’s where the money was or he felt it was that could be why he concentrated there. Than too he might have just liked recurves himself better.
Also add to the Olympic thing, they shoot very differently, they anchor differently, hold the bow upright, recurve windows lend themselves more toward that.
Now the accuracy thing is a big one, imo longbows are far superior here. They’re def more point and shoot, def more accurate. Speed would be negligible but I’ve got a couple shoot by eye, cause I’ve never run em through a chrono , but they seem as fast or faster. Point being if speed really was the only reason we’d not be shooting any trad bows. It’s the love of watching an arrow fly, being 100 percent of the reason it flew that way, recurve, hybrid or longbow doesn’t matter all that much at that point.
To the op, go to a rendezvous, lots of makers will let you try their offerings. Chose what suits you.
Actually, from a physics standpoint, they aren't. It's been proven time and again that the fastest bow with light arrows is also the fastest bow with heavy arrows.

If longbows were more accurate, they would be used in international target archery competition. But they aren't. That is a long running fairy tale. A good one that we'd all love to believe, but a fairy tale nonetheless.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, from a physics standpoint, they aren't. It's been proven time and again that the fastest bow with light arrows is also the fastest bow with heavy arrows.

If longbows were more accurate, they would be used in international target archery competition. But they aren't. That is a long running fairy tale. A good one that we'd all love to believe, but a fairy tale nonetheless.
We’re def not speaking the same language. I never said anything changes the way bows shoot. It’s the way they’re used and Olympic archery is not what the op is aiming for. Not sure what you don’t understand about the window cutout difference and necessity. The anchor difference, etc. ? Two totally different uses

OP
D
And for what it's worth, stalker bought Dryad and A&H, if you wait a bit, you can get one of stalkers ACS longbows in a 3 piece, quiet, fast and mass
Just checked. Apparently the ACS limbs are already available for the Coyote and the Jackal. Thanks for the hint!

We’re def not speaking the same language. I never said anything changes the way bows shoot. It’s the way they’re used and Olympic archery is not what the op is aiming for. Not sure what you don’t understand about the window cutout difference and necessity. The anchor difference, etc. ? Two totally different uses
You might be surprised how much I understand actually.

The conversation is like talking about reloading (of which I am also a big fan...)
No animal cares what tool ends its time (within reason) - headstamps/recurve vs. longbow/an extra 100fps/yadayadayada... it's fun, but not ultimately what will decide your success or how much you enjoy what you're doing.

Find what YOU like and shoot it - A LOT.

Personally, I've got no use for light arrows or ILF setups. They are absolutely great for what they provide, and lots of people shoot them much better than I ever will shoot a bow - that's not what it's about for me. But if it makes you happy, and that's what you like, more power to you - fling away!

Have fun and keep'em sharp!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
You might be surprised how much I understand actually.
I’m prob not gonna be surprised, I can tell the way you talk. I think you are misreading me though. Think about what I’m saying. 2 dif things hunting and target archery.
We don’t need to get into all of the differences but they’re obviously considerable.
Back to the op actual question I don’t think either longbow or recurves is a concern it’s as we’ve all said a preference which may even change over time.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Oh my God Matt, that’s a very misinformed article. And not relevant at all to any facts.
If I started with all that’s wrong you’d fall asleep.
There’s no clear advantage or disadvantages. Today’s and we’re talking about today longbows are often much shorter, that’s an easy one to discount. Longbows do come long mins you but not many guys hunt w 72” inchers

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Matt it’s ok, they’re pretty much similar length. There’s no issue there.
ive hunted w 64”, typically my longbows are 62”, my recurves are similar sized, 58-62”, I typically use a 62 inched though. If you think about it most stay near 60, that’s an inch shorter on both sides. Not too often that’s an issue. A longbow is typically quieter. Again nothing is major and neither choice bad

I’m prob not gonna be surprised, I can tell the way you talk. I think you are misreading me though. Think about what I’m saying. 2 dif things hunting and target archery.
We don’t need to get into all of the differences but they’re obviously considerable.
Back to the op actual question I don’t think either longbow or recurves is a concern it’s as we’ve all said a preference which may even change over time.
Yea, the OP really needs to be thoughtful about who he gets advice from here. Lots of old wives tales and misinformation out there when it comes to traditional bows. The traditional bowhunting forums live on that stuff, and people actually believe it.

And yes, you would be surprised. ;)

Kentucky

WKR
Matt why do you think a longbow is harder than a recurve to hunt with?
Depends on your use. Longbows are difficult to hunt with but you can get some crazy draw weight from some of them. Really depends on what you plan on using the recurve bow for.
Recurve Bow Vs. Longbow for
Oh my God Matt, that’s a very misinformed article. And not relevant at all to any facts.
If I started with all that’s wrong you’d fall asleep.
There’s no clear advantage or disadvantages. Today’s and we’re talking about today longbows are often much shorter, that’s an easy one to discount. Longbows do come long mins you but not many guys hunt w 72” inchers
I agree that article was whiten by somebody without a clue…not good info