Longbow vs Crewcab

Hello gentleman. I am new here to this forum. I have done a search and read through a ton of posts and threads about Mystery Ranch packs. I recently purchased the NICE frame but didn't buy a bag because Im unsure which bag would suit my needs. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Crew Cab until I stumbled upon some reviews done by aron Snyder about the Longbow. I literally go back and forth between the two. My question is this. I want a pack that can be capable of being a day pack / 4 day bivy pack / meat hauler all in one. So what do you all think? Does the Longbow provide a more secure way to haul meat? Does the crew cab handle higher weights better. This pack will also go in the tree stand with me and maybe haul tree stands. Also I am 5'6" with like a 16-17" torso. So the load lifters will be fine.

If I get the Longbow I will get the day pack lid, 2 side pouches and 4 of the extra straps.
If I get the crew cab I will buy 1 large load cell and the day pack lid.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are hauling tree stands the Crew Cab would be the way to go in my mind. The large opening would work well i would think.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know you only mentioned the CC and LB, but would look at the wolf as well. I actually prefer the wolf (by far) over the Longbow for a 4 day or less bivy trip.

I will say that I am not a huge fan of the CC, and if you were a hunting buddy I would be telling you not to get it. It's not a bad pack, but it does leave everything exposed from the elements and has a tendency to load far off you back if not careful.

After using the Longbow for multiple bivy trips.....it really started to suck trying to get everything needed for even a 2 day trip. It can be done for sure, but I try and suggest it for more if a day/overnight pack. The Wolf works pretty well for a daypack and gives you plenty of room for meat when heavy hauling is needed.

OP
L
Ah now even more decisions. I think if I wasn't planning on getting the 6500 and only planned on one pack I would get the wolf pack. Definately. That thing is awesome and ideal. But I will own the 6500 one day. And really want a day pack. Since most of my hunting is treestand stuff.

Also due to my training schedule and wanting to hunt with my one last time before I deploy I won't be doing anything more than an overnight. Plus I think the wolf pack is too large to fit as a bug out bag on the off chance haji shoots me down. Thanks aron I think I'll get the Longbow. I kind of new that, its just I wanted the CC for so long until 3 weeks ago when I read your reviews.

Oh BTW you spell your name wrong. It's Aaron with 2 As. Either that or I spell my name wrong :)

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I found that the Wolf Alpha compresses down do make a pretty good day pack. I had a CC and I would chose the Wolf pack over the CC or Longbow.

Here is a pic of the compressed Wolf Alpha

IMG_3888_cropped.jpg

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the top lid, nothing is exposed. I understand where Aron is coming from. But you have to understand that he lkes to do the extended pack trips.

As for me, I'm basically a day trip hunter. But I do pack enough gear that I can spend the night if I happen bed a herd of elk up 5 miles back in. Plus, I know I have the ability to get that first load of meat out with my Crewcab.

I'm a little short guy and the Crewcab fits me to a T. Most comfortable pack I have ever had on my back. And the fact that I bought it brand new for less than half price doesn't hurt. LOL! I have the pack, two small load cells, one large load cell, and the top lid.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would take the 6500 for anything more than 2 nights anyway, so I think you're making the best decision if you're wanting more of a day type pack.

and you're right...my name is spelled funny:)

Hike&Hunt

FNG
If you are sure you will get the 6500 down the road, the longbow is the better pack to suppliment it. The cc is 2 lbs heavier if I recall correctly, and you can haul plenty of meat between the frame and pack with the longbow. You might also consider getting the 6500 now and adding the longbow later, that way you arent buying the top lid twice. Thats what I did, the 6500 packs down ok for a daypack its just heavy for that use at 9 lbs. If the longbow doesnt give you enough room for 4 days and you dont have the 6500 yet, I would look at the load cells you can add to the side.

I think the real difference b/t the cc and the other packs is the open design. It's what I love about the pack and it makes a lot of people feel uneasy. I think this adds to the versatility of the pack. I would suggest that if you have the 6500, you have a pack based on the closed bag concept and you would be adding more to your quiver by going with the crew cab. I personally have the cc, an old dana design that is basically the 6500, and my next purchase will be the longbow. I'm like a kid that wants one in every color.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have owned and packed all three in the past. The cc is a good day pack and meat hauler. I personally didn't like it for bivy hunting. The packability of the cc kept pushing the weight further away from my torso and that seemed to make it pull on my shoulders. The LB was very versatile, but small for 4 days. Good pocket design and meat could go between bag and frame which was good. The 6500 is big enough for any length trip, just to heavy for what I wanted. The NICE system is one people love or hate the way it fits. I sold all my MR stuff so you should be able to tell how it fit me.