Longbow vs Recurve Length

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
It would be easier to find you a tire swing and a handful of bananas than a 2 piece longbow for 31” DL for 400$…

I would take a look at Omega longbows.. the bowyer, Kegan, has same DL as you do.. they aren’t the most flashy bows, but they shoot very good and close to your price range..

The black tail bows are pricey. It may be a fair trade, but If you have a bow you like and shoot well, keep it…. It’s way less frustrating to have one you know You like vs trade to an unknown..

my advice is to keep a bow, buy a couple and trade and sell those around until you find what your after.. after 5-6 years I’ve ended up with 3 I love, all other have been moved along.. thing about that is 1 of mine is 250$(. 1 piece recurve) another 400$(1 piece longbow) and one is about 700-900$ ILF.

I shoot my one piece bows well, good enough to consistently hit with at 25 yards, that my confident hunting range. But any archer that has both types of bow, knows that a riser cut past center with a rest, that the groups are tighter and the bow is more forgiving of less than perfe

Thanks, I have two ilf risers and a couple limbs so I will definitely have a standard good shooting bow.

I don't have to find a longbow, just interested in trying a wood recurve or longbow as a newer traditional shooter as I've really only shot ilf so far.

Maybe I just need to go to a 3D shoot and harass anyone 6'2" and up to see what they're shooting.

Last edited:

Kentucky

WKR
Thanks, I have two ilf risers and a couple limbs so I will definitely have a standard good shooting bow.

I don't have to find a longbow, just interested in trying a wood recurve or longbow as a newer traditional shooter as I've really only shot ilf so far.
And you should… I much prefer to shoot my wood bows, even though I know I can shoot the other a tad better… for example on a 3Dshoot i shot a 355/400 with my ILF, (DAS gen2, inno ex primes 60” 52# @28” shot a 335 with 56” longbow.. that’s not much for me really since all I judge personally is kill shot/ bad shot..

my buddy has a 31” draw and he shoots an omega 66” bow and loves it.

Kentucky

WKR
I’ve got a recurve that I can overdraw to 30.5” it doesn’t stack but may get heavier than you like.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
And you should… I much prefer to shoot my wood bows, even though I know I can shoot the other a tad better… for example on a 3Dshoot i shot a 355/400 with my ILF, (DAS gen2, inno ex primes 60” 52# @28” shot a 335 with 56” longbow.. that’s not much for me really since all I judge personally is kill shot/ bad shot..

my buddy has a 31” draw and he shoots an omega 66” bow and loves it.
Good info, my goal is to have one great setup and just shoot that at some point. Hunting out west where I live is my %100 focus.

Rob5589

WKR
Does look that way beyond 29+ inches. He was on a podcast (Kifarucast??) and the OMM was his recommendation in a production longbow.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
So after reading more reviews, other folks were saying the Mesa didn't stack out to 31".

I was worried about getting the right poundage with the weight up to 2# lighter or 3# heavier and me pulling 31". I called Three Rivers and they were happy to take my order and test a few to get the right weight for me, can't say enough about the great customer service.

We'll see how it turns out when it shows up. Thanks again folks.

Kentucky

WKR
So after reading more reviews, other folks were saying the Mesa didn't stack out to 31".

I was worried about getting the right poundage with the weight up to 2# lighter or 3# heavier and me pulling 31". I called Three Rivers and they were happy to take my order and test a few to get the right weight for me, can't say enough about the great customer service.

We'll see how it turns out when it shows up. Thanks again folks.
They really are stand up folks over there.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
How do you like the OMM so far?
So far so good. My point on is way shorter vs the Uukha Irbis and 19" Ilf. But almost seems easier not flying so fast, but could be new bow love messing up my logical mind.

Poundage is #49 with my hand scale, so 3 rivers did amazing since I asked for 47-50.

Shooting full length Black Eagle Instincts 400 spine with 125 grain points, so about 580 grains, just under 12 GPP. Bareshafting pretty well, might try to cut them down a little.

Fun to shoot 23 yards, less fun the further I get out, but still getting a feel for it. Just got a used quiver.

Only negative the string that came with was the right length but only got me to 6" brace height with some twists, so I threw on something I had that put me at 7". Ordered a slightly different string to get 7-7.5".

20211208_162640.jpg

20211209_162614.jpg

Congrats on the sheep.

Good question on length....Its a question for the short longbow guys. There are numerous designs like the Shrew, Thunderchild, Toelke whistler, etc and I see lots of guys with fairly long draws saying they like them.

_
I have had the same feedback!

Psnguyen

FNG
With longbows, I agree with one of the above posts, the longer the better (more stable and smooth draw, less arm shaking and shot reaction post-shot)