longest antelope pack out?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went hunting with a buddy over the weekend and we ended up packing his antelope out four miles- a new record for me :) The doe he shot (after putting on a sneak through a prairie dog town) ran across a county road and died 20' from the edge of the road :ROFLMAO:

I've packed several out in the 2-3 mile range before, thankfully antelope don't weigh a lot!

Two miles outside of Ringling with a pack on a BMA, it was dry. Doe in pic was about 1.5 miles in the sled. It dumped that October and was lucky the cows had packed down a trail. Tried dragging her but snow was too deep. Hiked back to truck and got sled. Total walking for that doe was about 6 miles. 957231D9-ACE8-4B2B-B13E-940A35B207C2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 1st was a 2 mile journey, didn’t have a pack , so I gutted then tied up the legs and carriEd it on my shoulders down to the road
2 miles no pack = no mas

agreed- that would really suck!!!!

S.Clancy

WKR
I carried a buck my little sister shot almost 3 miles using the gut and over the shoulders method, that was 10 yrs ago. Now I just quarter them in the field and pack them out, usually 1-2 miles. Antelope are super light compared to elk, so I would carry one a long, long way if needed.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many areas that don't see many folks (ie can't drive into) that having the ability to pack antelope seems to be a pretty solid strategy :)

No on the carrying them on your back w/o a pack :ROFLMAO:

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ability or the desire? lol Hunting goats is supposed to be relaxing

probably both; I don't mind rambling about on the prairie and I like to be away from folks- a bit anti-social I guess :D

I do think that decent pockets of roadless (or closed roads) are a pretty good bet for relatively unmolested (or ones that have been molested!) antelope to hang out in

S.Clancy

WKR
probably both; I don't mind rambling about on the prairie and I like to be away from folks- a bit anti-social I guess :D

I do think that decent pockets of roadless (or closed roads) are a pretty good bet for relatively unmolested (or ones that have been molested!) antelope to hang out in
You and I think alike. I would rather walk than see guys trying to run goats down in an old Ford Bronco or UTV.

Did about 1.5 miles for a doe I shot on the opener of he Montana season. Shoulda been about 500 yards but some folks decided to drive through the field we were stalking them in and pushed them back further into the BMA we were hunting. I quarter and take all the meat off the carcass in the field even if its a few hundred yards in. Can’t imagine my pack is over 100lbs at that point with the rest of my gear. Buck I shot the next day was about 500 yards to the closest road.

JEck

WKR
Still haven’t shot my first antelope yet but hoping to soon. 4 miles is quite the pack out but like you said, at least they don’t weigh much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk