Longest Archery Shot

84 yards...rangefinder AFTER the fact!!! Pass through BTW guys. 345 gr arrow!!!

IMG_0193.jpg

Second longest...56 on this Kansas TOAD!!! mmmmmm pass through on that one too! 355 grains.

2010-11-20_11-48-45_51.jpg

P1050345.jpg

P1050339.jpg

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice bucks Evan! I have taken a few out there a fair poke myself. The longest kill shot I have seen was a buddy of mine from Europe. We came across an antelope that had been wounded by other hunters. The rancher asked us to try to put him out of his misery. After a long stalk he ran out of cover and options. After some figuring and calculating he launched a single arrow that fully penetrated the antelope at 151 yards! Filmed it in HD, no bull. Never would have attempted a shot at that kind of range under any other conditions. Not promoting it, just sayin'... it was something to see!

thanks coop!!!

I ate my KS tag for 3 years hunting mulies. Wouldn't shoot anything under 180". Is Double D still rolling at all? I have been waiting for a follow-up to the cutting edge. What release are u hunting with? Currently, using a Quickie but looking at my Target 3 but it isn't clean any more I need to strip it down clean it and run some of the new limbsaver oil through it. thoughts??

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Evan, I love that big 'ol rutty-lookin' heavy freaky Kansas buck. Makes me want to hunt late with a bow! What's the story on the velvet buck?

J-Daddy

WKR
Nice bucks Evan! I have taken a few out there a fair poke myself. The longest kill shot I have seen was a buddy of mine from Europe. We came across an antelope that had been wounded by other hunters. The rancher asked us to try to put him out of his misery. After a long stalk he ran out of cover and options. After some figuring and calculating he launched a single arrow that fully penetrated the antelope at 151 yards! Filmed it in HD, no bull. Never would have attempted a shot at that kind of range under any other conditions. Not promoting it, just sayin'... it was something to see!

Come on Coop, don't just leave it at that, lol...I know you've dropped a few bombs over the years, now let's hear some numbers.

Long range kills are always a touchy subject...I love practice past 100 yards. This season I took a doe antelope at 96 yards, 71 yards on a buck antelope, 78 yards on a buck mule deer, and 46 yards on a tom turkey.

Aim small, miss small.

I'll try to get some photos posted sometime here soon.

I've got two muleys that gross over 190. The first buck was 55 yds and the second was 58 yds. My furthest shot was on a cactus buck 66 yds.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't had any time to edit for Double D the last couple seasons man... I miss it though - just been too busy writing, hunting, working... you know how that goes. Dudley has used some of the more recent stuff we filmed on his new TV show - Nock On! There are a couple long bombs on the Cutting Edge DVD www.ddbowhunting.com - The longest is a muley doe... If you turn the volume up you can hear Dudley call out the range. Three steps later she gets heart shot. I also made a black bear shot and smoked a nice muley in the snow on the DVD that were pretty long too. Conditions for all those shots were perfect - zero wind, calm animals.

Robby,

The CO Velvet buck!! AKA NOTCH. I will post the "short story" here since I have just finished the article and am putting the finishing touches on the captions for the photos.

We found him on opening day and I told my boss who I was hunting with that that was the buck I was going to kill. Skip ahead---to day 11 :) I watched him feed below me on a bench and he just decided he was ready to bed and POP down he went in the open with a pine in the PERFECT location to put it between the two of us.

I inched down on my back about 300 yards and managed to range the pine I was using as cover at 39.8 yards. As I poked my head out to see the tips of his tines he rose and began feeding. I thought I was done (feeding away and down hill from me) until he turned 180 degrees and began feeding to the west. I rose, nocked my arrow and he appeared head down oblivious to my presence.

J-Daddy

WKR
I haven't had any time to edit for Double D the last couple seasons man... I miss it though - just been too busy writing, hunting, working... you know how that goes. Dudley has used some of the more recent stuff we filmed on his new TV show - Nock On! There are a couple long bombs on the Cutting Edge DVD www.ddbowhunting.com - The longest is a muley doe... If you turn the volume up you can hear Dudley call out the range. Three steps later she gets heart shot. I also made a black bear shot and smoked a nice muley in the snow on the DVD that were pretty long too. Conditions for all those shots were perfect - zero wind, calm animals.

Come on Coop, your dodging the numbers again...lol
Hopefully you guys get another DD video out sometime, I liked the first one.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Come on Coop, your dodging the numbers again...lol
Hopefully you guys get another DD video out sometime, I liked the first one.

Oh, you noticed...? :D Yeah, I'm sure I'll be filming more sometime soon - meanwhile don't ruin my tactic - if people BUY the DVD they can see some cool long range shots.

J-Daddy

WKR
Oh, you noticed...? :D Yeah, I'm sure I'll be filming more sometime soon - meanwhile don't ruin my tactic - if people BUY the DVD they can see some cool long range shots.
Yeah, the mule deer doe & the spot n' stalk black bear were both around 1 mile I think when you cut those shots loose...lol...I have no room to talk though.

I have to say that Duds running goat would have been awesome with a cameraman right there with him!!! and Coops bear THROUGH the FENCE!!! I am guessing that shot at 73 yards..conservatively :) what say you coop?

I got to see Dud this year at ATA show and I have to say ... for this little 5'9" guy I couldn't say hi!!! I am like Jack and he's the TALL dude waiting at the top of the beanstalk :)

Before moving to Idaho I had shot a lot of whitetails and turkeys. All of those shots were very close as I never remember using anything other than my top pin sighted in for 20 yards.

This past season, my first in Idaho. I shot a doe in September at 55 yards, perfect shot and then I shot this buck at 47 yards in November. I have always practiced at longer ranges, just never had to do it.

attachment.php

Maxhunter

WKR
Longest for me was an 6x7 elk at 64yds. It was feeding in a meadow and had no clue I even existed. There was no wind either. Made a perfect double lung shot and he ran 20yds and piled up. I'm like David I feel comfortable shooting 40-60yds but most of my animals taken where 35yds and under. I practice out to 90yds so I'm comfortable shooting those distances. Conditions have to be right for me to shoot 60yds.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have to say that Duds running goat would have been awesome with a cameraman right there with him!!! and Coops bear THROUGH the FENCE!!! I am guessing that shot at 73 yards..conservatively :) what say you coop?

I got to see Dud this year at ATA show and I have to say ... for this little 5'9" guy I couldn't say hi!!! I am like Jack and he's the TALL dude waiting at the top of the beanstalk :)

Yeah, he's about 6'5"... I think you're pretty close on that guess - I think there were a few clips where I was adjusting my site so you can see it was seventy-something. I honestly don't remember but I think it was 73 - 76 yards.

Nice buck Nick, that's a fun hunt!

Coop