Longest Kills to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntnful

WKR
I started long range shooting this year (out to 1200 yards) not with the INTENTION to kill animals far, but in order to have the ability to do so if needed. Well it just so happened that I had the opportunity on two awesome bucks at extended distances this year. A 540 yard shot at this great 4x4 and a 630 yard shot at a giant 30” buck I’ve been after for 2 years. Both bucks were shot in the vitals and DRT. I also got both kills on video. I don’t think I can post them here, but they’re on Instagram if you felt like checking them out 🤙🏼 @__steve__evans__ . These shots honestly felt like chips shots compared to what I’ve been practicing. It is sure nice to have full confidence at those distances. Your opportunities increase significantly if you can just reach out a little further, that’s for sure!! 59A315BF-7FB1-4FCB-90BC-BD03FA7FEDEC.jpeg25C5CD80-C9FB-48FD-A140-B97BA1E785AE.jpeg
Oh and the gun is a Hells Canyon Armory in 28 Nosler with a VX6-HD 4-24X52. I shot the 4x4 with 195 Berger’s and the 30” buck with E-tips. Got an order of 177gr Hammer Bullets on the way to possibly work up a good mono metal load with better BC’s.

These threads always turn into a shit show

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Then why is there a “long range hunting forum” even at all? I think Ryan has consistently defended people’s right to discuss long range hunting on this website. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to look under the forum titled “long range hunting”.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why is there a “long range hunting forum” even at all? I think Ryan has consistently defended people’s right to discuss long range hunting on this website. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to look under the forum titled “long range hunting”.
Wow It's not like this is the first thread of it's kind in this forum. Post them up what's your longest kill and we'll see how it goes.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Wow It's not like this is the first thread of it's kind in this forum. Post them up what's your longest kill and we'll see how it goes.

Oh I see what you're referring to now though. The title makes it seem like I'm asking people to post up their longest kills. Not the case lol. Hopefully thats pretty obvious. Just stating my own experiences!

bsnedeker

WKR
Oh I see what you're referring to now though. The title makes it seem like I'm asking people to post up their longest kills. Not the case lol. Hopefully thats pretty obvious. Just stating my own experiences!
Yeah, title might throw people off. I think it's awesome you practice out so far and kill at half the distance you practice at. Well done!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh shit. I'm pretty new and unaware. I also didn't feel like these shots were ridiculously far and unethical. Maybe I should have titled it something different :/
Long range forum is the perfect place for this. Congratulations on being proficient and reaping the rewards as such.

These type threads always require moderation as some people can't help but post thier opinion of ethics and long range. I simply meant this isn't the thread for that discussion.

This year I had the intention of developing skills at long range. Also wanted to kill a mature buck and put in more hours scouting and hunting than I ever have. Started reloading and shooting my 30-06 out to 640 fairly regularly. Here’s the fruits of my labor:

E338A31F-FEE4-403B-B8FE-5E4A6F4964D8.jpeg
Wyoming meat buck 70 yards neck shot

BD0C4F90-A96E-4FEF-BE9A-8994430E7A48.jpeg
komifornia 30 yards neck shot
BDE5FC89-D359-4982-9703-B45F4CD1EF7A.jpeg
idaho 110 yards (longest shot of the year)

B88F9451-097F-4B71-A63B-5B555FAE49DA.jpeg
Komifornia 40 yard neck shot

Maybe I should switch over to iron sights 😂

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Hahaha that’s too funny dude! I also killed a buck at 5 yards and a buck at 30 yards 🤙🏼🤙🏼. You just never know the opportunities you’ll create when you’re consistently putting in effort. Could walk right up on a buck or need to kill him across the canyon. I want to be able to do both 🤘🏼🤘🏼AF945A15-C9B1-4E18-B59A-09AE1804D07F.jpeg588F3C98-988F-4476-AE2F-1AF93F4ED3CA.jpeg

Nice !!!!!!!! My longest on an elk was 550 yards, one shot (2018). This year was 505 yards on an elk. 220 grain ELDX, 300 Win Mag. Pass thru.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 67

2ski

WKR
And so thats what it's turning into.

I shot my antelope at 40 this year. I shot one hun at about 40 and one at about 20 yesterday.

b190af46943cb26fcd0ecd47402587cb.jpg

Great shots on those deer!
I’ve also been practicing out over a thousand this season, just to be able to take advantage of situations where I just could not get closer, or perhaps a follow up shot at longer distances. The sheep I took was 518 at about a 40 degree down angle. No other option due to the open terrain I was in. There was a lot of space around him so that I could follow up if needed. 6.5 Creedmoor with Barnes factory ammo, 127 LRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeatBuck

WKR
Why don’t we all line up and see who can piss the furthest...

Surprised nobody jumped your case for those not being true “long range” shots.

Curious how many threads your gonna start with the same 30” Cali buck... not getting enough attention from the people or what?

Good bucks btw

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
b190af46943cb26fcd0ecd47402587cb.jpg

Great shots on those deer!
I’ve also been practicing out over a thousand this season, just to be able to take advantage of situations where I just could not get closer, or perhaps a follow up shot at longer distances. The sheep I took was 518 at about a 40 degree down angle. No other option due to the open terrain I was in. There was a lot of space around him so that I could follow up if needed. 6.5 Creedmoor with Barnes factory ammo, 127 LRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful Ram! You sure have that scope mounted back a ways. Extra long LOP on that stock?

MeatBuck

WKR
Shooting the 156g hammer hunters out of my .270wsm. They’ve killed twice and crippled twice this season for us. Curious if I’d made the same shots with lead what the outcome would have been (on the two I lost).
Load development was pretty easy once I got past the bad batch of bullets I got on the second order. Pushing them with h1000.
What powders do you have or plan to use?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Why don’t we all line up and see who can piss the furthest...

Surprised nobody jumped your case for those not being true “long range” shots.

Curious how many threads your gonna start with the same 30” Cali buck... not getting enough attention from the people or what?
Haha yeah, I wasn't trying to start a furthest shot thread at all. No competition seeking here.

Lmao! Yeah it's getting a bit ridiculous, but I had a great year over the course of a few months and he was definitely the highlight for me. Just basically doing a year end recap and reminiscing on the fun times and sharing, even though I shared him way earlier when I killed him. You think I was seeking attention when I spent 70 solo days in the field chasing him and other great bucks for two years? I'm sharing because these are amazing animals and I'm super happy I found big game hunting. I just love it, so why not share it? But I'll let you come look at the mount once I get it back in case you haven't seen him enough hahahaha.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Shooting the 156g hammer hunters out of my .270wsm. They’ve killed twice and crippled twice this season for us. Curious if I’d made the same shots with lead what the outcome would have been (on the two I lost).
Load development was pretty easy once I got past the bad batch of bullets I got on the second order. Pushing them with h1000.
What powders do you have or plan to use?
Dammmmmn, I've only seen good reports about them until this post. Were you able to turn up the crippled animals and see what the bullet did and why they didn't die asap? Ive been using N570. I'm definitely not a fan of copper, but was hoping these would be the answer. I liked the idea of the pedals shedding off but the shank still leaving an exit hole. The berger's are devastating, but basically never exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.