Longest Kills to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatBuck

WKR
I could not find either deer but I saw the hits in my scope and they were both back, one guts(broadside) and the other hindquarters(hard quartering away). No evidence of hit on the gutshot one at the scene just the body language after the shot. He humped up and walked straight down into the first brush patch and bedded. He must have gotten back up and left as I was trying to reposition for a follow up shot. Waited as long as I could but had to go check the scene at last light and the wind blew up my back as I came up towards his last know location. Never heard or saw a deer. Just his tracks going into the brush. Couple days later a buzzard circled the area intensively but never pinpointed anything. Landed in one spot but flew off almost immediately.
The other was chased by a bear as I was bloodtrailing it, ran it way down in elevation and I lost the trail on a small flat pine needle covered bench. Was mostly following his tracks in the steep loose soil and spotty blood up to that point.
I would not be concerned with the bullets, they did great on the shoulder shot animals. Found “death petals” in the deer and bear.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I could not find either deer but I saw the hits in my scope and they were both back, one guts(broadside) and the other hindquarters(hard quartering away). No evidence of hit on the gutshot one at the scene just the body language after the shot. He humped up and walked straight down into the first brush patch and bedded. He must have gotten back up and left as I was trying to reposition for a follow up shot. Waited as long as I could but had to go check the scene at last light and the wind blew up my back as I came up towards his last know location. Never heard or saw a deer. Just his tracks going into the brush. Couple days later a buzzard circled the area intensively but never pinpointed anything. Landed in one spot but flew off almost immediately.
The other was chased by a bear as I was bloodtrailing it, ran it way down in elevation and I lost the trail on a small flat pine needle covered bench. Was mostly following his tracks in the steep loose soil and spotty blood up to that point.
I would not be concerned with the bullets, they did great on the shoulder shot animals. Found “death petals” in the deer and bear.
Dang, thats a major bummer. But it is tough to say if it would have been a lethal shot with a lead bullet. A bonded lead bullet, probably not. But those bergers literally devastate everything in a 1 foot radius for about 18" of penetration. But the hard part is that you never have any blood to follow if it is a far back shot. So you're almost 100% tracking just the tracks. But I took 3 bucks, an elk, and a caribou with them and nothing went more than 30 feet. I love them, but i'd be nervous to shoot an elk right on the edge of a timberline. Even if it only lived less than a minute, you'd have your work cut out for you if it took off running.

And yeah, my rifle has a 1-8 twist, which they recommend. The gun is built for the berger 195's. The bullets are very similar in size, but there's only one way to find out how they're really going to shoot. If I find a decent load for the hammers, I'll definitely try to kill some pigs and coyotes with them before I go spend 2 months patterning another big cali buck, just to wound him with some copper bull shit lol.

Also, is that a blacktail in your profile pic? If so, that's a freaking STUD haha.

Chad E

WKR
Your blaming the bullet on deer hit in the guts and hindquarters? I dont care what bullet your shooting bad shot placement is bad shot placement. I dont see how you can blame the bullet or broadhead when you hit them poorly.

Bsnyder

WKR
Just remember if you carry a 6.5 needmoor and Berger anything animals just die as soon as you get out of the truck no need to attempt to make a good shot. Any other bullet sucks.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Just remember if you carry a 6.5 needmoor and Berger anything animals just die as soon as you get out of the truck no need to attempt to make a good shot. Any other bullet sucks.
Hahahah! I had a 6.5 last year, and while I did kill a pile of stuff with it, I was definitely not impressed. The 28 has exceeded my expectations so far.

Bsnyder

WKR
Just bought the wife a semi custom 28 shoots 143 hammers at 3600 and stupid accurate it also shoots 180 Berger’s really well haven’t cronoed it yet. She has the 26 and 28. You had a great year and a testament to what it’s about working your butt off to kill mature deer.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Just bought the wife a semi custom 28 shoots 143 hammers at 3600 and stupid accurate it also shoots 180 Berger’s really well haven’t cronoed it yet. She has the 26 and 28. You had a great year and a testament to what it’s about working your butt off to kill mature deer.
Awesome to know! I actually called Steve at Hammer and he said the same about the 143’s out of a 28. I just like the idea of a little bigger bullet and slighter better BC. But 3600fps also sounds sexual hahaha. As long as they’re accurate, I’ll put them to the killing test before trying something new.
Also, thank you!! It takes more work than most even realize. I’m not driving around killing these fuckers from the road haha.

Bsnyder

WKR
My load is .6 5 shot load development was stupid easy. Running perterson brass and n570. This is 9 different powder charges.

Attachments

• 471185EC-E821-42E9-A641-764EA9124644.jpeg
    471185EC-E821-42E9-A641-764EA9124644.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 31
Your blaming the bullet on deer hit in the guts and hindquarters? I dont care what bullet your shooting bad shot placement is bad shot placement. I dont see how you can blame the bullet or broadhead when you hit them poorly.
I am sure both were pretty hard pills to swallow for him.

MeatBuck

WKR
I didn’t feel that way. That was a pretty in depth explanation and ownership. I just had to pry a little 😉
I posted about both experiences in the a and b zone chatter threads. I know I made poor hits and owned up to it already. Didn’t go into much detail on the a zone buck but basically it was 780 and I had been lying prone on my shooting mat dry firing on him over and over and decided to try the shot despite a stiff wind. A wind that was blowing in my face up and slightly right as I was on the crest of the ridge. Thinking the wind was the same where the deer was and not having anything telling me otherwise I held on his liver expecting the shot to drift into the lungs or shoulder but it went basically where I aimed or slightly back. When I went to where he was when I shot it was blowing opposite of what it had been. Not sure if that’s the reason for the poor hit or not but without any blood or guts, a sea of chamise brush and darkness falling (with only two days left to get one killed) I had to set my sights on the next days hunt and made the long walk out in the dark. Knowing that buck was probably holed up deep in the brush suffering it made for a long solemn walk out. I would have played it differently had I not been so far in on a day hunt, with overnight gear I would have set up camp and waited til morning to look.

Chad E

WKR
I posted about both experiences in the a and b zone chatter threads. I know I made poor hits and owned up to it already. Didn’t go into much detail on the a zone buck but basically it was 780 and I had been lying prone on my shooting mat dry firing on him over and over and decided to try the shot despite a stiff wind. A wind that was blowing in my face up and slightly right as I was on the crest of the ridge. Thinking the wind was the same where the deer was and not having anything telling me otherwise I held on his liver expecting the shot to drift into the lungs or shoulder but it went basically where I aimed or slightly back. When I went to where he was when I shot it was blowing opposite of what it had been. Not sure if that’s the reason for the poor hit or not but without any blood or guts, a sea of chamise brush and darkness falling (with only two days left to get one killed) I had to set my sights on the next days hunt and made the long walk out in the dark. Knowing that buck was probably holed up deep in the brush suffering it made for a long solemn walk out. I would have played it differently had I not been so far in on a day hunt, with overnight gear I would have set up camp and waited til morning to look.
My apologies if you owned up to it good on you. I dont follow California zone threads and read your response on this one as commenting on bullet effectiveness. With the hits listed no bullets are super effective. It gets really old to see folks blaming bullets, calibers or broadheads for animal loss on garbage hits. Again my apologies for interpreting wrong.

Last edited:
Beautiful Ram! You sure have that scope mounted back a ways. Extra long LOP on that stock?

Thanks buddy. It’s the 32mil objective NXS, so it has a pretty short eye relief. The gun is a Barrett Fieldcraft, so it has a little bit longer LOP. However I did have the stock cut down about 5/8” to fit me better. Everything fits really well now and works perfect for me. I’ve never been scoped in my life, so that’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

750 yards for Coues this year. I made a great shot and he dropped on the spot. Had to go from the ridge line where I was glassing down to a wash so I could take a shot at him while he was at the top of another ridge line.

Would have been a better/smarter shot if it was 750 yards towards a road and down a mountain.

My shortest shot just happened to also be on a Coues. The shot was 7 yards. He was also really close to a road.

The bulk of my animals seem to be taken between 325 yards and 550 yards (plus or minus a few).

MeatBuck

WKR
Also, is that a blacktail in your profile pic? If so, that's a freaking STUD haha.
Ya, a zone buck. There’s some pics of it in the blacktail bucks thread. I was actually shooting over top of his kill site when I crippled that one I just mentioned. If that avatar pic was zoomed out you’d be able to see where he was standing.

You do your hoggin on public or private?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Why don’t we all line up and see who can piss the furthest...

Surprised nobody jumped your case for those not being true “long range” shots.

Curious how many threads your gonna start with the same 30” Cali buck... not getting enough attention from the people or what?

Good bucks btw

Your epic display of confidence and tact as a hunter and a man is on full display with this post, but my favorite is where your fool-hearted attempt to put lipstick on a pig with the closing “Good buck btw”

Have some turkey and maybe a beer bro-really think the OP didn’t mean any harm and was genuine here-(minus the poor thread title)

Status
Not open for further replies.