Longest Kills to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Your epic display of confidence and tact as a hunter and a man is on full display with this post, but my favorite is where your fool-hearted attempt to put lipstick on a pig with the closing “Good buck btw”

Have some turkey and maybe a beer bro-really think the OP didn’t mean any harm and was genuine here-(minus the poor thread title)
Haha I don’t take stuff personal. I don’t seek anyone’s approval so nothing really bothers me man.

2ski

WKR
I posted about both experiences in the a and b zone chatter threads. I know I made poor hits and owned up to it already. Didn’t go into much detail on the a zone buck but basically it was 780 and I had been lying prone on my shooting mat dry firing on him over and over and decided to try the shot despite a stiff wind. A wind that was blowing in my face up and slightly right as I was on the crest of the ridge. Thinking the wind was the same where the deer was and not having anything telling me otherwise I held on his liver expecting the shot to drift into the lungs or shoulder but it went basically where I aimed or slightly back. When I went to where he was when I shot it was blowing opposite of what it had been. Not sure if that’s the reason for the poor hit or not but without any blood or guts, a sea of chamise brush and darkness falling (with only two days left to get one killed) I had to set my sights on the next days hunt and made the long walk out in the dark. Knowing that buck was probably holed up deep in the brush suffering it made for a long solemn walk out. I would have played it differently had I not been so far in on a day hunt, with overnight gear I would have set up camp and waited til morning to look.

Am I the only one thinking, you had two wounded animals this season and you continued to hunt? I remember when Rokslide had discussions where people came here because it tore them up and almost unequivocally everyone agreed they would be done hunting that year. Considered tagged out. Its not illegal so I'm not calling you out for it, but ethics wouldn't allow me to keep hunting. Accidents happen. They suck. But 2 in the same season?

I say this as gently as I can, but maybe its time to shorten the distance you're willing to shoot. Two wounded animals is just not acceptable to me. I haven't read the thread were you owned up to it, so i don't know what owning up in this case means. To me, it would be admitting that you're not ready to shoot those distances.

MeatBuck

WKR
Am I the only one thinking, you had two wounded animals this season and you continued to hunt? I remember when Rokslide had discussions where people came here because it tore them up and almost unequivocally everyone agreed they would be done hunting that year. Considered tagged out. Its not illegal so I'm not calling you out for it, but ethics wouldn't allow me to keep hunting. Accidents happen. They suck. But 2 in the same season?

I say this as gently as I can, but maybe its time to shorten the distance you're willing to shoot. Two wounded animals is just not acceptable to me. I haven't read the thread were you owned up to it, so i don't know what owning up in this case means. To me, it would be admitting that you're not ready to shoot those distances.
Ultimately I’m a meat hunter so despite losing one on each of my tags I’m continuing to hunt hogs to make up for empty space in the freezer as I did not harvest and recover a deer.

I’ve lost bucks at an array of distances over the last 20 years. When you shoot at game every season you’re bound to lose a few, no matter the range. It sucks but hanging it up doesn’t feed the family. It would be different if I had found the carcass and took the head. Even said that in the other thread.

Last year I tagged a rotten bear carcass because I didn’t find it until it was too late. 500 yard shot. Wasn’t sure he was hit until I got over there and found his track then blood. Followed it to the base of a tree but he wasn’t up it. Blood dried up and I gridded the hill for hours. Ultimately realized my mistake when I found him laying in the wide open on the next trip up. I was looking down on ground for blood and not up in the trees for fur.
Didn’t get any meat or trophy hide, just a rotten skull to take to dfg for validation. But as a family that eats wild game we didn’t give up. My ol lady bought and filled her bear tag and the freezer space that I wasn’t able to fill. Both skulls were over 20”.
She unfortunately lost a good buck last year as well. (The bear she killed was just up hill from that buck and she shot it from the same position on the rock pile.) The buck was hit low in the shoulder and while trying to get another shot off a coyote ran the buck into the timber and we never saw them again. Didn’t hear coyotes that night and next morning I only found 8 specks of blood. Gridded for a few hours without finding anything. I believe those shots were around the 375 and 425 range.
We ended up finding my lost bear while going in to look for her buck. Next trip in she killed her bear right there but there still wasn’t any sign/smell of the lost buck. We had heard coyotes the day before down there and realized they had been eating the ass out of my bear carcass.

We’ve had a tough season or two in the past but never two back to back. There’s always next year though. We’ll see what it brings.

Last edited:

MeatBuck

WKR
The bulk of my animals seem to be taken between 325 yards and 550 yards (plus or minus a few).
Same here for the most part. Definitely killed a few closer but the way the terrain is set up where I hunt (and the way I hunt it in recent years)puts most of the shots in that range. Only taken shots further out three times. They’ve all been in that crunch time period on the last weekend of the season and never produced a punched tag. Goes to show that forcing the shot doesn’t fill the freezer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ultimately I’m a meat hunter so despite losing one on each of my tags I’m continuing to hunt hogs to make up for empty space in the freezer.

I’ve lost bucks at an array of distances over the last 20 years. When you shoot at game every season you’re bound to lose a few, no matter the range. It sucks but hanging it up doesn’t feed the family. It would be different if I had found the carcass and took the head. Even said that in the other thread.

Last year I tagged a rotten bear carcass because I didn’t find it until it was too late. 500 yard shot. Wasn’t sure he was hit until I got over there and found his track then blood. Followed it to the base of a tree but he wasn’t up it. Blood dried up and I gridded the hill for hours. Ultimately realized my mistake when I found him laying in the wide open on the next trip up. I was looking down on ground for blood and not up in the trees for fur.
Didn’t get any meat or trophy hide, just a rotten skull to take to dfg for validation. But as a family that eats wild game we didn’t give up. My ol lady bought and filled her bear tag and the freezer space that I wasn’t able to fill.
She unfortunately lost a good buck last year as well. (The bear she killed was just up hill from that buck and she shot it from the same position on the rock pile.) The buck was hit low in the shoulder and while trying to get another shot off a coyote ran the buck into the timber and we never saw them again. Didn’t hear coyotes that night and next morning I only found 8 specks of blood. Gridded for a few hours without finding anything. I believe those shots were around the 375 and 425 range.
We ended up finding my lost bear while going in to look for her buck. Next trip in she killed her bear right there but there still wasn’t any sign/smell of the lost buck. We had heard coyotes the day before down there and realized they had been eating the ass out of my bear carcass.

We’ve had a tough season or two in the past but never two back to back. There’s always next year though. We’ll see what it brings.
Sucks man. Going back to back and striking out is tough, especially if you rely on the meat to feed yourselves. I just brought home 300 lbs of venison from Minnesota with me two weeks ago after a successful hunt with my wife and father in law. PM me your address and I’ll mail you some.

MeatBuck

WKR
Sucks man. Going back to back and striking out is tough, especially if you rely on the meat to feed yourselves. I just brought home 300 lbs of venison from Minnesota with me two weeks ago after a successful hunt with my wife and father in law. PM me your address and I’ll mail you some.
Christ man that’s rad, I’ll pm you. I Will disclose that we do have some meat from my sons buck and my bear as well as a few packages of spring turkey meat. So we aren’t starving but if you are looking to give some away I will take some off your hands.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I have to ask, what is that backpack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's designed to be a pack board only. It's a "Bull Pac" made originally by a company in Idaho now located in Washington State. A little on the heavy side but indestructible

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
Oh nice, thank you. I’m a metal frame guy as well.
I really like that Lochsa pack bag, I think I’ll try one of those on my Barney’s. I been looking for a smaller bag.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
Ultimately I’m a meat hunter so despite losing one on each of my tags I’m continuing to hunt hogs to make up for empty space in the freezer as I did not harvest and recover a deer.

Didn’t get any meat or trophy hide, just a rotten skull to take to dfg for validation. But as a family that eats wild game we didn’t give up. My ol lady bought and filled her bear tag and the freezer space that I wasn’t able to fill. Both skulls were over 20”.

Holy cow thats a lot of wounded animals. I would be too embarrassed to come on Rokslide and admit I wounded that many so more power to you that you aren't. It's time to start limiting shots to 250 and under. That many in two years time honestly is poor hunting, marksmanship, decision making, or something ...Its unacceptable and you're getting unethical.

Feed your family by all means, but get closer. My buddy shot a whitetail at 40 yards today with me. It can be done. You don't have enough experience to make these shots. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it is what it is.

MeatBuck

WKR
Holy cow thats a lot of wounded animals. I would be too embarrassed to come on Rokslide and admit I wounded that many so more power to you that you aren't. It's time to start limiting shots to 250 and under. That many in two years time honestly is poor hunting, marksmanship, decision making, or something ...Its unacceptable and you're getting unethical.

Feed your family by all means, but get closer. My buddy shot a whitetail at 40 yards today with me. It can be done. You don't have enough experience to make these shots. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it is what it is.
Had a good chuckle at this one. Think I’ll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.