Longest you're sight will go before fletching clearance issues.

In regards to single pin sights, how far can you go before your scope housing get's in the way of the fletching. Let me tell you what I'm shooting:

2010 Hoyt Matrix
Hogg Father single pin
Hoyt Ultra Rest
80# draw, 485 gr arrow, 283 fps

So last year I shot the Tommy Hogg with a Ripcord rest and this year I thought I'd make things more accurate and upgraded to the Hogg Father. I sighted in my extendable sight so the scope housing fits just inside the peep in my field of view. I'm probably 3 inches from having my sight extended all the way. What I was really surprised by was how much of an impact it makes on my sight tape to have the scope that far from your eye (29 inches). Last year with the Tommy I could shoot to 119 yards. This year it's looking like 85. I just put the sight tape on last night and I'll test it out on Wednesday.

Here's my question to all y'all. Is there a sweet spot where you can get the most out of extendable sight accuracy wise and still shoot over 100 yards without clearance issues. My first thought is go to a smaller peep diameter and move the sight closer to my eye.

At the end of the day my whole motivation is to put an arrow on the target at the farthest imaginable distance. For some reason I think it's fun to release an arrow and have enough time to reload another arrow before the first arrow hits the target.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If everything is the same set up to set up, something seems out of whack. Are they both small gaurds? I shoot about the same speed and get about 115 out of the boss Hogg. Do you feel your more accurate with the extension bar vs the tommy Hogg? If your set up goes to 85 only, I would go back to the tommy Hogg. Are you shooting a single up pin or fixed pins with the Hogg father.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot moveable sights (Tommy Hogg & Sure Loc LW Maxx) with a full rack of pins. My rover pin is usually at 80 or 90 yards. My sights usually max out (run out of clearance) around 130-135 yards.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see now single pin, which I believe is the smallest housing spot Hogg offers. I would go back to tommy Hogg.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BTW, moving the sight bar farther out will reduce your max range, while moving it in will allow you to shoot farther before you run into clearance issues. A sight bar farther out will magnify the amount your sight moves while aiming, but it does provide you a longer aiming plane (distance between peep and pin) which theoretically has potential to be more accurate - assuming you can hold her steady.

I run a CBE Tek-Hunter 5 pin.

REST--SCHAFFER OPPOSTION
BOW--CARBON MATRIX PLUS 28"/69#
ARROW--EASTON FLATLINE 400 @ 345 GRS AND 2.1" FUSION VANES
SPEED--309 FPS

I HAD CLEARANCE AT 150 YARDS. BEAUTY OF THE SCHAFFER IS THAT IT NEEDS TO BE SHOT WITH YOUR ODD VANE DOWN THEREFORE ALLOWING FOR MORE VANE CLEARANCE AND MORE YARDAGE.

AND DARIN HIT IT ON THE HEAD!!! ITS ALL ABOUT GEOMETRICAL PLANES AND ANGLES.

J-Daddy

WKR
On average I get in the 110-120 range...Peep height comes into play as well as arrow speed.
I had a 70lbs Omen Pro setup last year and could get over 150yds out of it before the sight head got to low but that was a stupid fast bow. Most of my hunting bows run in the 330-340fps range "listed IBO" and I can normally average 110-120 before the sight is hitting the fletching.

pronghorn

FNG
I usually cap out around 125 or 130 depending on the bow. I would try a different sized peep and move it in a little closer to the bow. That would be a very inexpensive way to experiment. See if there is any accuracy loss over a few days of shooting and decide from there.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Although mine isn't a single pin it's an adjustable sight none the less and the way I got mine configured I could get about 100 yards shooting about 270 last season, I shoot a 3 pin Ascent with speed around 280-285 now and use the middle pin for my dial out pin so I'm thinkin I'll be able to squeeze out maybe 120 now... Have thought about switching to my bottom pin but I like it as is or I'd be able to get 120+ purdy easily...