Longest you’ve ever lived in a wall tent?

SWOHTR

WKR
Wondering what’s the longest anyone here has lived in a wall tent for? I have PCS orders coming up but the duration I’ll be away prior to returning to San Diego is only a few months. It’s common for military folk to live in a camper for months at a time, which got me thinking about a wall tent. In western WA, Oct-Jan.

Let the stories and comments roll...

rob86jeep

WKR
With no family then I would be willing to give it a try. You can always just shower at the gym on base. You'll save some money and have a pretty cool story to talk about later in life.

If its wet by PNW standards, it wont be as cold. It won’t even freeze at night. It will just be constantly wet. If its a dry winter, it will be a little colder. It still doesn’t get much colder than 30.

I “lived” in a wall tent in western WA for three weeks. With a wood stove for heat, propane stove for cooking, and a comfortable cot, it’s not bad.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in one for 6-8 months several times. Just set up this tent yesterday and plan to live in it in northern MN until November or December. It’s very doable, if your mind is right.

Attachments

• B62BA5C9-6CEC-4988-8B8B-223C4C623743.jpeg
    B62BA5C9-6CEC-4988-8B8B-223C4C623743.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 156

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in one for 6-8 months several times. Just set up this tent yesterday and plan to live in it in northern MN until November or December. It’s very doable, if your mind is right.

6-8 months in a tent...really? That's a long time.

I stayed in a wall tent with three co-workers for 4 months at a remote river in Alaska while working for Fish and Game. I was 19 at the time, and the experience has stayed with me ever since (over 25 years later now).

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I stayed in a wall tent with three co-workers for 4 months at a remote river in Alaska while working for Fish and Game. I was 19 at the time, and the experience has stayed with me ever since (over 25 years later now).
That would be cool! I can see how the memory would last.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
6-8 months in a tent...really? That's a long time.
Yes, lived by ELy Nv for 2.5 years off and on in a army artic tent and smaller dome, once in WV for 7 months, CA near Tahoe for 5 months, Aladdin WY for 7 months, eastern MT for 4 months last summer, and up in MN through this spring-fall. I work in construction and it saves my per-diem money

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
3 months in metaline falls Washington from august -October. 1984 pre commercial thinning trees. Nope. Never again I hope. A guy was still able to homestead 8 years before. Definitely remote area back then

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I did about 3 months in a crappy 3 person kelty backpacking tent in Kenya. A wall tent would've been a huge upgrade.

3forks

WKR
No personal experience going for more than a few days at a time in a wall tent.

However, to the OP or anyone else - check out a book titled “The Indian Creek Chronicles”, by Pete Fromm.

It’s a excellent book about the seven months the author spent living alone with only his dog through a winter in Idaho.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a converted cargo van for work, 8 days on 7 days off. No heater or AC everywhere from arizona in summer to wyoming in winter. A wall tent would be nicer. I don't really "live" in it just sleep after 12 hour shifts then gym then dinner somewhere. Wasn't bad at all till the covid shutdowns then it got kinda rough so I got hotels till stuff started opening again.

KineKilla

WKR
What size do you all recommend then? One person, 4 months.
I'd get as big as you can afford (within reason). Space for a propane stove, table, chair, etc. Nice double wide cot.

I have a 14x20 I think and could live in that for a long time with just 1 person. Especially if I didn't have the wood stove inside. I opted for the vestibule on mine, nice to have a mud room. Could even do 2 people for a long time comfortably.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk